Model Airways-The Wright Flyer-Scale 1/16

Barry1

I am now working on the next build, the Wright Brothers airplane. This brings me back to my days building wooden RC airplanes and sailplanes. Two years ago I read historian David McCullough’s great book on the Wright Brothers. I really enjoyed reading about their life and story. They were true pioneer innovators in flight study. I have been working on the project for a couple of weeks bouncing back and forth to my Bluenose project. The kit starts with the two wings. I have assembled about 90% of the top wing. Lots of small wing ribs to carefully sand and align. 4003CA22-47A9-47CF-A1D8-FDFF31749F96.jpeg31E40591-FE02-485D-AB95-75F8B6DD5D17.jpeg4003CA22-47A9-47CF-A1D8-FDFF31749F96.jpeg31E40591-FE02-485D-AB95-75F8B6DD5D17.jpeg

Pathfinder65

I am now working on the next build, the Wright Brothers airplane. This brings me back to my days building wooden RC airplanes and sailplanes. Two years ago I read historian David McCullough’s great book on the Wright Brothers. I really enjoyed reading about their life and story. They were true pioneer innovators in flight study. I have been working on the project for a couple of weeks bouncing back and forth to my Bluenose project. The kit starts with the two wings. I have assembled about 90% of the top wing. Lots of small wing ribs to carefully sand and align. View attachment 85047View attachment 85048View attachment 85047View attachment 85048
That looks like a great kit. I have a Sopwith Pup on the shelf awaiting assembly. I look forward to your build.

Donnie

Excellent build. I will follow this one. I have been wanting to build one of the others like the Newport or the Camel. Although the one you are building came to mind too.
I have got to get my San Felipe off my bench first.

Barry1

Thanks Donnie. Taking a couple of weeks off from the yard to enjoy some sun in Florida. Hopefully will bring Spring back up North.

Graham

I will watch with interest and fancy the idea of building one of these kits myself. It will certainly bring back memories of when a friend and I used to fly control line combat wings on the school field and try and chop the paper streamer off each other's aircraft. Crash 'em, rebuild 'em on the dining room table in the evening and off again the next morning. Happy days!

Barry1

I will watch with interest and fancy the idea of building one of these kits myself. It will certainly bring back memories of when a friend and I used to fly control line combat wings on the school field and try and chop the paper streamer off each other's aircraft. Crash 'em, rebuild 'em on the dining room table in the evening and off again the next morning. Happy days!
I have always been intrigued by gliders and planes. Having built both for RC flight in my younger years I liked the build but the fun was in flying them. Unfortunately the rebuilds on some of my crashes could take several weeks. Budget constraints moved me static models. The Wright Flyer while it looks like a glider was able to sustain controlled flight through its own power. That and it’s history interests me in this build. Thanks for following.