Model Shipways RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB by CurtisW

I'm not quite ready to start this build as I have to finish my Armed Longboat first. I received the 'Snake' yesterday and like a kid in a candy store I had to open it up and while I was at it take a few pictures. I would also like to thank the folks at Modelexpo for their excellent customer service. I purchased the kit on December 11, ( great sale price) and had not received it as of January 8. I gave them a call to see when it would be shipped as I knew it was a back order. I was told next week. It arrived yesterday by priority mail. Needless to say I was very pleased. Anyway on with the show.....

20200109_173646.jpg

A nicely packaged box...

20200109_193721.jpg

The goodies...

20200109_194020.jpg

20200109_194216.jpg]

20200109_194438.jpg

20200109_194832.jpg

20200109_195130.jpg20200109_195324.jpg

and still more wood...

20200109_195442.jpg

Sawdust coming soon. Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
I'm checking the parts and the plans now. I may have bitten off more than I can chew but then again I have a big mouth. I'll try my best on this one. With all the help here it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for dropping in.

I'm checking the parts and the plans now. I may have bitten off more than I can chew but then again I have a big mouth. I'll try my best on this one. With all the help here it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for dropping in.
Just take your time,think through everything.

Many Thanks for starting this building log - very good start, so we can see the content of the kit Thumbsup

Well I decided to make a start at building the 'Snake' and the issues have started. After drawing the reference line and aligning the bottom of the false keel there was a 1/32" gap between the two halves of the false keel and the reference line doesn't line up. I read in some of the build logs about the gap between the pieces which is an easy fix with shims. What do I do about the reference line? I thought about using the deck line for my reference but I don't want to distort the shape of the hull. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.1.jpg

I am running the rigging on mine and the best advice I could give is to look ahead (if I do this will it be in the way for that)

Hi Curtis,
you had two separate Rattlesnake logs nearly identical, I merged them together as one log.

Well I decided to make a start at building the 'Snake' and the issues have started. After drawing the reference line and aligning the bottom of the false keel there was a 1/32" gap between the two halves of the false keel and the reference line doesn't line up. I read in some of the build logs about the gap between the pieces which is an easy fix with shims. What do I do about the reference line? I thought about using the deck line for my reference but I don't want to distort the shape of the hull. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 132745
I wouldnt worry to much about that line, the line up you need the most is the top of the bulkheads with top of keel and the top of the keel so when you deck you wont have a step

Like Bob Ross says there are only happy accidents. Also mark up where that center bulkhead goes and on the outside of the line glue on some scrap (sheet where the bulkheads come from) over the joint to reinforcement I remember when I did mine that the slots were to tight and what I found worked great was a cheap walmart foam emery board when it would slide thru easy it was the right size.

Happy Birthday CurtisW Birthday-Cake
Wishing you lots of happiness and enjoyment in building the models Ship

I'm not quite ready to start this build as I have to finish my Armed Longboat first. I received the 'Snake' yesterday and like a kid in a candy store I had to open it up and while I was at it take a few pictures. I would also like to thank the folks at Modelexpo for their excellent customer service. I purchased the kit on December 11, ( great sale price) and had not received it as of January 8. I gave them a call to see when it would be shipped as I knew it was a back order. I was told next week. It arrived yesterday by priority mail. Needless to say I was very pleased. Anyway on with the show.....

View attachment 127859

A nicely packaged box...

View attachment 127860

The goodies...

View attachment 127861

View attachment 127862]

View attachment 127863

View attachment 127864

View attachment 127865View attachment 127866

and still more wood...

View attachment 127867

Hallo @CurtisW
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 127859

A nicely packaged box...

View attachment 127860

The goodies...

View attachment 127861

View attachment 127862]

View attachment 127863

View attachment 127864

View attachment 127865View attachment 127866

and still more wood...

View attachment 127867

Hey, it looks just like what I got the other day from evil bay.

I have LSS practicum on this kit, so I thought I would buy it and wait until it come up in this sequence of builds. Lauk Street Shipyards sells a "College of Ship Building" I think he calls it, covers about 8-10 boats with supporting information on how to do some tasks.

A nicely packaged box...

The goodies...

and still more wood...

Hallo @CurtisW
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back