Model Shipways RATTLESNAKE

I think that is what they had posted when I looked the other day.

Lets hope they get back online and shipping soon, too good a shop to have them out for long time.

They are an essential business, in my world anyway....don't care what politicians say.

Build completed! Got very confusing at the end of the rigging process. Plans were not detailed enough for a beginner, still very happy with the outcome. The big plus was all I learned during the build. Next time I'll toss out a lot of parts and order third party replacements, things like blocks, capstan, binnacle, etc. The longboat from Falkonet really came out nice. Several blocks were not used. I'm assuming most were for halyards but with no sails installed guess there were not needed. Thanks everyone for the comments and help along the way. Next project will be something a little easier.20200606 Rattlesnake 01.jpg20200606 Rattlesnake 02.jpg20200606 Rattlesnake 04.jpg20200606 Rattlesnake 05.jpg20200606 Rattlesnake 13.jpg20200606 Rattlesnake 14.jpg

Thumbs-Up Beautiful, gorgeous model!! Very detailed work! Great job. Thumbs-Up You have mentioned the next model, do you know what you will build next?

I've ordered Amati #1406/01 Viking Longboat, Drakkar. My wise is Scandinavian so thought I'd do something from her neck of the woods
Thank you, STGCS. Great choice of the kit! Well..., we hope you will start a build log?

I've ordered Amati #1406/01 Viking Longboat, Drakkar.
Congrats on finishing a great looking model, and on all that you have learned. Rigging that Viking ship should be a nice breather after Rattlesnake. I recently finished this book on the Rattlesnake which I enjoyed immensely and would highly recommend should you have the interest:
1591583098402.png

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing a great looking model, and on all that you have learned. Rigging that Viking ship should be a nice breather after Rattlesnake. I recently finished this book on the Rattlesnake which I enjoyed immensely and would highly recommend should you have the interest:
View attachment 156004
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered a copy from Amazon.

Eric , what does this book contain, is it just the story of the boat, or? - can you show some pictures of the content,

I finally got around to doing my first build log. Already well into the basic hull so this log is not from the beginning. Started by building a clamping base to hold the hull from aluminum angle drilled and tapped to make thing easier to handle. A lot of time was spent building various jigs to keep things square and sized correctly. Need some more sanding then will start the hull planking above the wale.

Question: As to the paint - what is recommended, flat, matte, or gloss? Can't decide if Acrylic, enamel, or lacquer is the best way to go.

All criticism greatly accepted.View attachment 126958View attachment 126959View attachment 126960View attachment 126961View attachment 126962View attachment 126963View attachment 126964
I have just started Rattlesnake and am being challenged. Have only done entry level models. Your log should help. How did you do the decorative metal on the stern? JKB…new member

I have just started Rattlesnake and am being challenged. Have only done entry level models. Your log should help. How did you do the decorative metal on the stern? JKB…new member
If I remember correctly I started by painting it black. After drying overnight I did a light sanding on the high points then with a small brush touched them up with gold paint. Hope this helps. Welcome aboard JKB

I finally got around to doing my first build log. Already well into the basic hull so this log is not from the beginning. Started by building a clamping base to hold the hull from aluminum angle drilled and tapped to make thing easier to handle. A lot of time was spent building various jigs to keep things square and sized correctly. Need some more sanding then will start the hull planking above the wale.

Question: As to the paint - what is recommended, flat, matte, or gloss? Can't decide if Acrylic, enamel, or lacquer is the best way to go.

All criticism greatly accepted.View attachment 126958View attachment 126959View attachment 126960View attachment 126961View attachment 126962View attachment 126963View attachment 126964
Are you glad you did the planking from deck up before planking the hull? JKB. Your pictures are of great help

Back