Model Shipways RATTLESNAKE

Quarterdeck pretty much completed. Took TKAM's advice and added a pin rail. Also put stanchions and rope around the ladder going down to the Capt. quarters. Think I'l move to the bow and start on installing the cannons under the overhang then plank the deck. View attachment 133553View attachment 133554View attachment 133555
What I didnt do and while you still have the room in the fore brace bitts and others drill the sheave holes and the belay pin holes
IMG_0846.jpgIMG_0847i.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good from here, just 1 little suggestion is your reload tackle is a little close, when ever i am trying to figure something out just put myself in there place....if i pull this rope what will it do will I have room. I also mentioned this to TKAM about the pin rails if your going to put them on add a 6 hole for the mizzen mast

Should really have used 2mm blocks. That would have given me more room between them when rigged. Ordered some but just to tiny for me to handle. Should the 6 hole pin rails go directly amidships? Appreciate the help.

I got these. I noticed several builders omit the in-haul tackle.View attachment 134395

Yes, metal casting. I had to build up under them where the flat casting was hanging in the air over the rounded hull.
/These are the ones i use and love them but been ordering from Model Expo ans since the last round with them found a new supplier
https://craftysailor.com/they were about hal the price and shipping is about half compaired to MS

Kind of drifted away from the plans and added stuff I liked. A collection of ideas from several other builds I've found on the web for inspiration. Still need to make a couple of ladders from the quarterdeck to the gun deck but need to add two cannon first so I know where to set them. Watched Master and Commander again last night for more ideas. Sure is crowded living on those ships.
20200228 Rattlesnake 02.jpg20200228 Rattlesnake 03.jpg20200228 Rattlesnake 04.jpg

Looking damn good, on the ladders I have seen them on plans going fore and aft and turned to amidship Mine are running forward but need to get more ladder stock, the ones that came in the kit looks like a hammered dog turd

Looking damn good, on the ladders I have seen them on plans going fore and aft and turned to amidship Mine are running forward but need to get more ladder stock, the ones that came in the kit looks like a hammered dog turd
Mine will run fore and aft. I keep a large stock of scrap from other builds so plenty to choose from.

Back