Model Shipways RATTLESNAKE

Completed installation of the cannon and added ladders with handrails. Notice a lot of other model don't add handrails but after years at sea riding tin cans I have never seen a ladder without them. Just a personal thing. On to the bow.View attachment 136799View attachment 136800
Excellent job so far, so many things I like on yours over mine but soon the fun will start started to go cross eyed
IMG_0891.jpg

You are moving right along, looking good. I see you are retired Navy in VA Beach. I retired from the USAF out of Langley back in 1995. I lived in Hampton for several years. Rock on!!

Don’t forget like I did to drill some holes in the bitt for belaying pins that’s where the formast jeers attach to
Thanks. Will check it out. Sorry to say I'm not very particular about authenticity on my builds. If I miss a belay point I'll just find one close by. I'm not putting on sails so it will be a bit easier with less running rigging.

The bow is now about done. Forget to add the figurehead before I took the photos. All the curved fittings around the bow and under the bowsprit were a chore. Wound up modifying everything but still looks OK to me, but then again I'm not a perfectionist when following the plans. The anchors are third party and a big improvement . Castings are not my cup of tea. Also was able to pry up the old metal windlass and replace it with a mini kit wooden one. Much better.

20200322 Rattlesnake 01.jpg20200322 Rattlesnake 02.jpg20200322 Rattlesnake 03.jpg20200322 Rattlesnake 04.jpg

That concludes the hull portion of the build except for some paint touchup and a ships wheel and tackle system which is on order. Still have to do the spare mast and spar for the longboat and install them before I start the working on the masts. I also got a Falkonet #2 F0106 longboat kit to replace the one supplied with the model, just no enough detail for me.

20200331 Rattlesnake 01.jpg20200331 Rattlesnake 02.jpg.

Back