Montanes 1:70 by OcCre

Hello everyone and sorry for the long long absence. Life has finally given me the chance to come back and join you all and also to continue on my process to build this wonderful boat!!!

I have waited a few days to post this so I could make some progress and re evaluate my approach to working on her. So my main goal is to get the first items I wanted to get done on the first deck completed so I can close her up and work on the second and third decks. My first order of business is to get the 8 cannons together and ready to be mounted.

I bought an airbrush to make painting a little easier and to make sure I have even coats. I gave this a shot and got a good even coat on the carriages of the cannons (I don't have a picture of this unfortunately).

Feeling pretty good about that step I moved next to coloring the cannons and wheels. I used brass black to get them to look more like brass cannons then super shiny gold.View attachment 412432
Once I got all this done its next onto assembly of all the parts. The bottom 8 cannons will not have wheels as they were not provided. So I got this situated and put together and I am pretty pleased with them at that point.
View attachment 412431
Now for the reason I wanted the deck off for this. I want to rig these babies and do this the right way for all the cannons. First step is to get the bracing ropes on. I found that drilling in these is a pain so I am going to need to figure out that but for now, we have the ropes set.
View attachment 412435View attachment 412430
Next I dry fit the cannon in the ports and found it to be quite low cause of the lack of wheels, I fixed this by putting a piece of 2x3 spare wood on the bottom and sanded it so it centered up quite nice.
View attachment 412429View attachment 412428
Second shot here is the base with no fix and the right is the cannon centered and placed where it will be.

Thank you everyone for checking in and I hope to be posting and conversing with you all and catching up on your wonderful posts!!

View attachment 412433
Welcome back -you may know that I built this model mid 1980Th when it came into the market and have been helping two others to build it.

Now you did well adding wood under the lower deck carriage -it cannot be seen anyway. I did it with all gun carriage, as I made it with all gunports open - for me no dummy guns. On all the other guns -fully made - I added below the carriage a 5x5 mm piece of wood, as with the wheels alone, there is very little glue space -easy to have an accident here. Even with Dummy Guns more than one has gun pipes inside the hull and no way to get them out except making a hull in the bottom of the hull
you are always welcome to ask for help- el capi

Scan_0017.jpg

Scan_0018.jpg

01079.jpg

8EE.jpg

1154-GUN.jpg

1128---GUN PORT 20.jpg

It's a single layer unfortunately which is why I'm trying to take my time and do the best job I can to need as little fixes as possible. Next set has two steelers in it to help with the bow to make it cleaner and lower section should not be too hard.
Sorry, I beg to differ, it's double plank - well mine is, & the kit is described as such. Maybe yours is an earlier kit? I stand to be corrected?

Cheers

So in my attempt to try and make sure I get everything documented I have lost all the pictures I took the past few days of work. But what can I do, it was a lot of squaring up half finished parts of the build that were waiting on the chassis of the cannons to be done and set on the second deck.
20240101_210601.jpg
I ended up gluing down the ends of the rope so that way everything stayed in place.

I have finished the rubbing strakes and just need to putty and sand and paint them. Once that was done I painted the red for the strings and the inside of the deck.

This is where we pick up with photos. 20240101_150805.jpg
I got them planked then inorder to do the shaping with the thin 1x3 I glued it onto paper and cut it down accordingly.
20240101_152632.jpg
Next was getting everything done the way it was needed, making sure to do dry fits each time
20240101_145643.jpg20240101_163350.jpg
I oiled it with linseed oil and got it glued up and mounted the last deck on the ship.
20240101_210543.jpg
And this is where we stand currently. Started doing some of the black paint and worked on the top of the railings as well. So far feeling a lot better now and starting to see some real bones comes to life .
20240101_210530.jpg

Thank you all for checking in and hope the new year was good!!!!

So in my attempt to try and make sure I get everything documented I have lost all the pictures I took the past few days of work. But what can I do, it was a lot of squaring up half finished parts of the build that were waiting on the chassis of the cannons to be done and set on the second deck.
View attachment 418221
I ended up gluing down the ends of the rope so that way everything stayed in place.

I have finished the rubbing strakes and just need to putty and sand and paint them. Once that was done I painted the red for the strings and the inside of the deck.

This is where we pick up with photos. View attachment 418226
I got them planked then inorder to do the shaping with the thin 1x3 I glued it onto paper and cut it down accordingly.
View attachment 418225
Next was getting everything done the way it was needed, making sure to do dry fits each time
View attachment 418227View attachment 418224
I oiled it with linseed oil and got it glued up and mounted the last deck on the ship.
View attachment 418222
And this is where we stand currently. Started doing some of the black paint and worked on the top of the railings as well. So far feeling a lot better now and starting to see some real bones comes to life .
View attachment 418223

Thank you all for checking in and hope the new year was good!!!!
Good afternoon Rob. Looking great. Cheers Grant

So here is my first question with this ship. What is the normal width and length of a plank for ships.... So the other ships I have seen the have done 0.5x5 mm planks for the deck. Fine cool I can live with this. But this kit. Which is at 1:70 decided it wants 1x3mm planks for the deck. So which is technically the right width to use in regards to this model?

View attachment 303815
Hallo @Robp1025
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back