My Carvings

There is a contemporary 1:24 scale model (Date made: circa 1766-70, or circa 1801) uploaded at the NMM

d9444_1.jpg d9444_2.jpg d9444_3.jpg d9444_4.jpg

and an original plan
j1842.jpg

BTW: @janos Very good work Thumbs-Up

Relating to the discussion about the height of the real figurehead, you could take the above drawing, which is showing the correct figurehead and compare with the measures of the ships hull - these are well known and f.e. documented in Bugler´s book

I found another very interesting information given by David Pulvertaft

1765: Her original figurehead, carved by Richard Crichley and William Savage. This was a complicated carving including a bust of George III, supported by Britannia and Victory with figures of Peace and Fame and others representing the continents. The carvers’ model is in the National Maritime Museum and a half-size model is at the entrance to the Victory Gallery at the Royal Naval Museum. A detailed specification was printed in Appendix II to HMS Victory – Building, Restoration and Repair by Arthur Bugler, HMSO 1966 [and a photograph of the half-size model was printed on the dust-jacket of the 2005 Anniversary issue of Mariner’s Mirror, May 2005. Ed.]

and:

there is a sketch of the figurehead of Balchen’s Victory on page 74 of L G Carr Laughton’s Old Ship Figureheads and Sterns [London and New York, 1925, republished in facsimile New York 2001]. Fig 17 features photos of Victory‘s figureheads in 1765 and 1815.

I think, that I have this book, so I could take a photo of this mentioned page, if it of some interest.....

Sorry @CAFmodel for being somehow off topic.....

I found another very interesting information given by David Pulvertaft

1765: Her original figurehead, carved by Richard Crichley and William Savage. This was a complicated carving including a bust of George III, supported by Britannia and Victory with figures of Peace and Fame and others representing the continents. The carvers’ model is in the National Maritime Museum and a half-size model is at the entrance to the Victory Gallery at the Royal Naval Museum. A detailed specification was printed in Appendix II to HMS Victory – Building, Restoration and Repair by Arthur Bugler, HMSO 1966 [and a photograph of the half-size model was printed on the dust-jacket of the 2005 Anniversary issue of Mariner’s Mirror, May 2005. Ed.]

and:

there is a sketch of the figurehead of Balchen’s Victory on page 74 of L G Carr Laughton’s Old Ship Figureheads and Sterns [London and New York, 1925, republished in facsimile New York 2001]. Fig 17 features photos of Victory‘s figureheads in 1765 and 1815.

I think, that I have this book, so I could take a photo of this mentioned page, if it of some interest.....

Sorry @CAFmodel for being somehow off topic.....

A little bit of off-topic already, but for the completeness I want to show you the plates mentioned before. From my copa of LG Carr Laughton´s book "Old Ship Figureheads and Stern"

IMG_37341.jpg

IMG_37401.jpg

IMG_37411.jpg

here for comparison the figurehead of the Victory 1737

IMG_37351.jpg

and of the 1765 version of the HMS Victory

IMG_37421.jpg

IMG_37431.jpg

IMG_37441.jpg

all photos taken from my copy of

IMG_37451.jpg

Very interesting news about the Bellona - Many thanks for the update!
Back to the Topic: One question related to the carvings you showed us here......from which ship is this the figurehead - a highly complicated figurine?
View attachment 109506

Sometimes you wrote to which ship the carving belongs - maybe you could edit the others and tell us from which ship

Hi Uwe,
this carving: Royal Caroline 1749.
KARL

Last edited by a moderator:
8D221EB5-DD64-445C-9E88-6E0917ED5280.jpeg

Here is one of the CAF Model lions on my Falmouth East Indiaman by Euromodel. The kit has a metal horse, but contemporary illustrations show a ‘Chinoiserie’ lion. This one is the 6cm version (sorry the pic is on its side, I should have made it smaller!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back