My Collection

WOW!! That's all I can say! I don't think some of the stores can actually show that many kits. :) And your models are great to show off your craftsmanship. Amazing!

Hello Mike,
Like everyone else has already mentioned, that is by far the most impressive, personal collection I have ever seen. In the event you want to add more realism to your tanks, I have stumbled onto a few YouTube videos showing people how to weather tanks. The following video goes on to show how to weather them in as a realistic manner as possible by a guy named Panzermeister36. Please enjoy, Raymond.

I have similar numbers of built and unbuilt models but most of mine are 1/48th scale plastic airplane kits

I have built many 1:48 scale aircraft models myself. In fact, I just recently decided to do a "slap-n-dash" build on an old Monogram kit of the
F-102 Delta Dagger.

In the background you can see my model of the F-106 Delta Dart that I build back in 1995. Also a Monogram kit.
IMG_1749.JPG

My old F-106 included MicroScale decals and has held up pretty well after 24 years. The crystal clear canopy is the result of using Future Floor Wax as a coating.
The raised panel lines gives away the old-school modeling technology.
IMG_1751.JPG

For the F-102 I completely sanded all the raised panel lines completely smooth and re-etched all the panel lines into the plastic, by hand.
IMG_1750.JPG

Here is the most current picture of the F-102 after receiving a coat of primer. I haven't built an aircraft model is so long I can't remember!!! Seems easy, LOL.
IMG_1754.JPG

Hi Mike,
Will you ever get time to build all those models in your lifetime ?
The reason I asked about the Abbot was , I work on and drive the real thing and to have a model of it would be magic, I know that Accurate Amour make one but, it's the cost so I'll wait for abit till someone bring one out as model .

I never met a real life Abbot driver!!! I bet that 105mm is awesome when it goes off right next to your head!! As for my model stash - I made a promise that I cannot possibly die until every single one of them are built!!!! Perhaps this is why I am going so slowly.. LOL.

For my plastic ship models, I primarily build 1/350th scale from the waterline up. Typically, they are built straight-out-of-the-box (SOB) with no railings and minimal rigging. I just rely on carefully assembly and a good paint job to get the results I am looking for. I really enjoy comparing waterline ships of the same scale against each other when displayed.

Here is the SS Jeremiah O'Brien. A Liberty ship that survived WWII. These cargo vessels carried crucial materials to American allies during the early years of the war. Sailing in large convoys they often fell prey to the feared German U-Boats. Liberty Ships were built very quickly (on average 3 ships every 2 days). Although technically not a military vessel they did carry a few small guns for close-in protection. This model is based on the Trumpeter kit and I built it back around 2010.

Specs:

15,928 tons
441 feet long
57 feet beam
27'9" draft
max speed: 11 knots

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

And here we have the German U-Boat that would hunt the liberty ships. I believe this one is a Type IIV-C. I can't remember which kit this is from. In the final picture you really get an idea of just how small the U-Boats were. You also can see why I really like 1:350 scale waterline ships!!!

IMG_1772.JPGIMG_1773.JPGIMG_1774.JPG

Speaking of submarines... While a lot has been written about German Uboats during WWII, by far the largest and most impressive submarines of the war were the I-400 class of submarine aircraft carriers built by Japan. These beasts were the size of a destroyer and remained the largest class of submarine until the 1960's. Only 3 were actually constructed with plans to attack the Panama Canal never occurring. My model was built from the Tamiya kit.

Specs:
6560 tons
400 feet long
39.4 feet beam
23 feet draft

IMG_1777.JPG

The I-400 could carry 3 fighter aircraft in her water proof hanger capable of carrying bombs to a target.
IMG_1778.JPG

Aircraft would be launched via catapult and recovered by floats and crane.
IMG_1779.JPG

Here we get some idea of the size of the I-400 when compared against a UBoat
IMG_1780.JPG

Here are a few more of my armour models in 1/35th scale.

M-18 Hellcat.. I believe this is from the Academy kit
M18 Hellcat.jpg

Russian T-34 from Trumpeter
T34.jpg

Tiger I from Tamiya kit perhaps.. not sure. Note mistake in lay of tracks.
File Jul 07, 10 32 26 AM.jpeg

Tiger II
File Jul 21, 5 38 56 PM.jpeg

Skdz/8Ton with quad 20mm Flak - Trumpeter kit
File Jul 21, 5 39 13 PM.jpeg

I just completed my first model in nearly 2 years!! Just a simple curbside Tamiya Snap-Loc kit of the Porsche 961 in 1:24 scale. I had some trouble with the decals due to the age of this kit. I just did a basic slap-n-dash finish. This car was entered into the experimental class by Porsche for the 1986 24 Hours of LeMans. Featuring a high-tech electronically controlled front/rear all wheel drive system, this car produced 680hp, had a top speed of 330kph/205mph, won it's class and finished 7th overall. The success of this car propelled Porsche into the modern computer technology age. Enjoy!!

IMG_1866.JPGIMG_1867.JPG

I am also a fan of LEGO models and have built many in my collection. In-fact, the Admiral just gave me this new Lunar Lander kit as a gift along with an LED lighting kit!!

View attachment 121499

That looks like a great little project. LEGOs and 1000 to 2000 jig saw puzzles are rejuvenating therapy for me when I run out of steam on other non completed projects.

D72A3E39-FD02-4CE3-A0A9-FB74B0D4E62D.jpeg

The detail on this one kept me occupied for a couple of weeks.

Sorry to take your thread of subject, but sharing another hobby is great.

Jan

Happy new year everyone. I decided to finish 2019 out by completing one of my motorcycle models. This is the Yamaha YZR-M1 MotoGP bike from 2004 that Valentino Rossi rode to a world championship. It is in 1:12 scale from the Tamiya kit. Other than a few carbon fiber decals the model is build straight from the box with a good paint job. Here are a few pictures to enjoy!!

IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_1983.JPGIMG_1984.JPGIMG_1986.JPGIMG_1974.JPGIMG_1978.JPGIMG_1988.JPG

Last edited:
Back