My FIRST build: Krick Borkum with MSM 3" Clyde Steam Plant [COMPLETED BUILD]

And so it begins...

Please join me in the build of the Borkum (which has been done many times before). My nickname for her will be "Cariad" meaning darling/love in welsh. As this is my first build I
ask "silly" questions to gather your input, please feel free to give any advice and/or criticism. All welcome.

First thing I did was unpack the box from Germany and organized the parts in my office/workshop. Next task is to number all the pieces as per the instructions then put together/glue the base and begin my journey - As they say "Excelsior" which translates as "Onward and upward"

Derek Ellis, north of the 49th parallel
... locked in my workshop until further notice ...

hope I cankrick packaging.pngkrick Borkum box.pngstarting 2020.jpg

Welcome aboard SOS, Derek!! I am taking an empty (available) seat and will watch as your build progress! Have fun building!

Neptune (John),
As I cut the pieces out of the template, I notice there is 2 sides to the plywood pieces, one whitest, and one with grain. Which is side up or side down?
Derek

Hi

Almost all ply has an A & B side. The fascia side ( A) is normally the cleanest, whilst the (B) inward is the grainier or worst looking side. I normally mark all my kit parts A & B as well as the number. You can normally tell which is which if you look at the parts plans as they have them laid out in a specific way per precut board and you can only put the whole thing down to match one way. The A side is the position shown on the parts template

I find in this way you can put the parts together so that they all face a certain direction. I have found with some kits where there is a multi part building it matters ( The AL riverboat was a classic example of this). For the hull it normally does not matter, but there may be cuts that are side specific.

Following with great interest.

Neptune (John),
As I cut the pieces out of the template, I notice there is 2 sides to the plywood pieces, one whitest, and one with grain. Which is side up or side down?
Derek

G'day Derek, I think with this kit it doesn't really matter as all the plywood surfaces that show are planked, here is a link to my build log on this forum, the first few posts are about building the Stuart Turner Engine, and then it goes on with the actual launch build, I hope it helps you, I'm still waiting to be able to get mine on the pond, I have to sort some of the electrics out, and I did do a few modifications along the way, I will attach a pic of how she looks at the moment, any questions just ask,

best regards John,

412.jpg

413.jpg

Last edited:
Neptune,
You (and many on this forum) are the resource I was hoping to find. I have returned to model building after 50 years and then it was plastic airplanes with glow plug engines. A child of the 50s. I don't have the knowledge and nomenclature of all things marine. Your build is going to help me immensely. I thought the Krick instructions would be more germanic meaning precise. They assume more marine and/or model building expertise than I have. I feel better now to solder on. The rudder stiffener part threw me for a loop at the start. Thanks for sending me the link to your build. It is reference on my tablet as I proceed. Will post my progress soon. Saw some pictures of my lake in West Quebec yesterday - the ice is leaving, hope after this crisis to get there possibly in June to test "Cariad" and steam plant a little. No sure where I will be in the process, probably very very early. At what part of the build process does one test out the buoyancy/weight balance?

Cheers,
Derek

I was very lucky with my build, with using the Stuart Turner Engine plus the electric motors and batteries, the main batteries I installed under the main floor beneath the fake boiler, I didn't need any extra ballast,
Best regards John,

To Neptune/Torpart,
What did you do you to waterproof the Borkum rudder after you painted or stained it?
D.

To Neptune/Torpart,
What did you do you to waterproof the Borkum rudder after you painted or stained it?
D.

G'day Derek, the paint alone should be enough for the rudder itself, the only other thing I did was to put a little grease on the rudder shaft before slipping it up through the rudder tube,
Best regards John,

Hi guys, I'm back. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, I am trapped in my office/workshop. I work a little on my communications projects then a little cutting, gluing, staining etc. I want to first start by saying I can't tell you how helpful this site and forum is to me. It has helped my mental equilibrium. As a first time wood modeller (many year ago I made little plastic war planes), this is not as easy as I thought. Learning new skills, different tools, fat fingers, glues of all types, and a world of clamps and tape. A big shout out to Neptune/John and Torpart. Their build logs have save me time and mental anguish. What I found out from all of you is that it is OK to be your own modeller and build the boat you want, not what the instructions dictate. I can be creative within the bounds. I can colour in and outside of the lines. My start1.jpg1a.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

I learned early you have to take your time when assembling. Like the adage - measure twice cut once. You see here I glued the stern support backwards. Who knew the tabs fit the other way. Course correction and back on track.

Last edited:
Let's do "flooring" The instruction say I can use the opening for blast, we will see as I plan a MSM steam plant that will cover the area. Will do a test of balance near the end and fill it if needed.10.jpg11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my work in progress. I have ordered my servos (stuck in the Bahrain for delivery) and the MSM steam plant but due to COVID-19 may take weeks. MSM sent it for delivery but I hear shipments to Canada might be suspended until there is sufficient airplanes to take cargo. I solder on. I ask am ready for sanding, staining and varnishing as I wait for those items. Can't lock anything down until I get the other "parts" - Yes/No. I have had a conversation with Neptune/John re: painting the hull. I want it to carry Welsh colours and want to call it "Cariad" love in welsh. 12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg

Any advice or help is much appreciated. I am thoroughly enjoying the journey and learning so much. In fact so much that I look forward to my next build after I learn from all my mistake, and there are many. As I said earlier, I am so impressed and in awe of all your talents and can only hope I get near your skills and precision. Right now it is all about learning how to do just that. Thanks for being there.

Derek

Back