Workshops My shipyard/your shipyard

Thanks for all the kind responses! The thickness sander was the result of combining bits & pieces from a number of articles I have read. Building the thickness sander reminded me of a saying that was commonly heard back in the 50's: whenever someone bought a new motorboat (full size), before they get home with it they already want one that is bigger & faster! I love my sander, but there are days when bigger sounds like better---
You're not wrong there, Steve. At my last assignment in Japan, the base wood shop had a monstrous industrial-sized thickness sander. I was the only one who ever figured out how to operate it, and oh, the stuff it could do. I miss it.... ROTF

In my 6 years in the US Navy, I was on board a ship twice for a total of about a year and we were never outside US territory. Remaining time was going to school and teaching school. The teaching was 3 years at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in North Chicago, IL. There we had a base workshop available and I built my first bench there in 1968; it is shown in the last one of my photos in this post of my shop.
Happy modeling to all.
Steven

In my 6 years in the US Navy, I was on board a ship twice for a total of about a year and we were never outside US territory. Remaining time was going to school and teaching school. The teaching was 3 years at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in North Chicago, IL. There we had a base workshop available and I built my first bench there in 1968; it is shown in the last one of my photos in this post of my shop.
Happy modeling to all.
Steven
Hi Steve,

I live about ten miles from Great Lakes and one of my orthodontic practices is even closer. We see patients from the base all the time. Thank you for your service to our country.

Thanks, Doc.
My wife & I lived in Waukegan for the three years that I was an instructor for the Basic Electronics School. When my enlistment ended 1970, we moved to Milwaukee and lived there for 25 years then we moved to Chapel Hill NC in 1995 and we are still here.

Wonderful Steve! I was born in Waukegan but grew up in Gurnee (my dad was an English/Speech/Drama teacher at Warren Township). Just to align the rest of the stars - my parents are from Milwaukee! And now we have met each other on a model ship forum. Small world!

Attached find some photos of my workshop. It's not as neat as I wanted to show because I seem to find new projects even before ending one.
The shop is 1/2 of my garage and the shop half is insulated and has and electric heater. Overall the shop is about 16' X 24'. I have been making sawdust in this shop since 1997.
No end in sight!
Happy Modeling.
Steven

View attachment 289831

View attachment 289832

View attachment 289833

View attachment 289834

View attachment 289835

View attachment 289836

View attachment 289837

View attachment 289838

View attachment 289839

View attachment 289840
Very cool!

Hi Steve ,you may not noticed it ,we have a topic just about shops

Hello, Zoly.
When I decided to post my shop, now that I am starting back to work on my lobster boat build, I exited (or "thought" I exited the scratch build section and "thought " I went to where I had seen you post about the section for shops. I have no idea how it wound up where it is, but I have no doubt that it involved my lack of skill with the keyboard.
If it can be moved, please tell me how to accomplish that..
Thank you.
Steven

Hello, Zoly.
When I decided to post my shop, now that I am starting back to work on my lobster boat build, I exited (or "thought" I exited the scratch build section and "thought " I went to where I had seen you post about the section for shops. I have no idea how it wound up where it is, but I have no doubt that it involved my lack of skill with the keyboard.
If it can be moved, please tell me how to accomplish that..
Thank you.
Steven
If you want me to move your topic there I can do that.

Thanks, Doc.
My wife & I lived in Waukegan for the three years that I was an instructor for the Basic Electronics School. When my enlistment ended 1970, we moved to Milwaukee and lived there for 25 years then we moved to Chapel Hill NC in 1995 and we are still here.
You taught some vacuum tube theory, didn't you ;). I did Radar in the USMC during the '80s on the West Coast. Used high power vacuum tubes as the final amps. Ahhh, the good old days!!

Glenn

You taught some vacuum tube theory, didn't you ;). I did Radar in the USMC during the '80s on the West Coast. Used high power vacuum tubes as the final amps. Ahhh, the good old days!!

Glenn
Ah yes, the good old days. I ruined a few watches by working around the magnetron’s on our radars.

You have a Gerstner & Sons Tool chest! Wow these are great. I always looking out for one. For a good price ofcourse. Here in the Netherlands they are expensive. If you can find one. Maybe someone got plans for to build one of myself.

Back