Workshops My shipyard/your shipyard

This first photo is my lowly very first work bench - I think it was back around 2005 ??

View attachment 143074

The next one maybe 2009?

View attachment 143075

Then the most current.
This is my shop in total disarray and confusion. No rhyme or reason to anything. I hate it.
Seems like life was more simple with the tiny bench.

View attachment 143076

View attachment 143077

View attachment 143078

View attachment 143079
I hear you. I have a very detailed filing system. One drawer is called tools. I have another drawer called "Bits and Pieces" as well. One day I will fix this. Mark my word. lol

Last edited:
Very nice workshop indeed Stephen. I see that you have beautiful milling machine and lathe, what brand are those? And I envy the order in which you have all the cutting bits, mine are in different drawers all around the workshop. Some day I will copy your idea to organize them. But not yet....
Hi Moxis,

Thanks for you comments, especially seeing that your shipyard is fantastic.
The lathe is a Tida and the mill is a Fugl both machines are Taiwanese probably 40 years old they are good for what they are, I inherited them from my father.

The cutting bits are arraigned into shank diameter and all the effort put into making up the holders is worth it in the long run.

My shipyard is going through another reorganisation at present this is why there has been no progress on the drifter trawler.

Cheers,
Stephen.

You have such a lovely workshop, Stephen! One, many of us can only dream off! ;) In addition to your skills, those machinery are a great help!!

You have such a lovely workshop, Stephen! One, many of us can only dream off! ;) In addition to your skills, those machinery are a great help!!
Thank you Jimsky,

I am very fortunate to have such a workshop, something I did dream of while working from kitchen tables and out of spare bedrooms all those years ago.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Here's my $.02...
I am just getting back into building after a 30 year hiatus. After my last build (HMS Bounty) I found myself getting deep into the RC scale airplane hobby. I became so serious about it that I had a trailer to haul my LARGE planes to competition events. After 10 years and countless $$ later I left the hobby due to burn-out.
Am now retired and have always loved the historical warships from the 1600-1800's.
Unfortunately, my past two houses had large workshops but do not live there any longer and now reside in a townhouse. So when contemplating getting back into ship building, I was concerned about not having enough room. I (thankfully) had a small utility room that housed three cabinets and decided to change that room into a modelers room. The room is only 8 1/2' X 6' but I felt large enough to build.
As you can see by the photos below, I stripped the room out and built a L shaped workstation. Luckily I saved all my RC tools so not much needed in that area. Have two Dremel's so good to go.
I did purchase two LED lights from Walmart that were a real bargain. These lights can be be expensive but these were only $23 for both. I also bought a new magnifier lamp that has a 5" lens and has a very thin footprint.
Also treated myself to a 24" TV. This was a MUST as I wanted to be able to access the Internet and especially SOS for much needed advice while building. I settled on an Insignia brand since it had Amazon Fire built in. This was important as many smart TV's will not allow internet access unless you pay a monthly fee. Amazon Fire has their Silk browser app that is FREE. So now have the TV with Internet, Music, Movies and TV shows while building.
The room also has many built in shelves behind the louver doors on the right so plenty of storage. And lucky to have a large window (that opens) where the Project Manager can sit and supervise the goings-on. He's a 3 year old Conure and will only be in there when using standard wood glue...not CA.
So am almost ready to go - just need a few more things and waiting on my ZHL Le Soleil Royal kit to arrive.20210320_064315.jpg20210320_064409.jpg20210320_070033.jpg20210320_083009.jpg20210322_115136.jpgSupervisor.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my $.02...
I am just getting back into building after a 30 year hiatus. After my last build (HMS Bounty) I found myself getting deep into the RC scale airplane hobby. I became so serious about it that I had a trailer to haul my LARGE planes to competition events. After 10 years and countless $$ later I left the hobby due to burn-out.
Am now retired and have always loved the historical warships from the 1600-1800's.
Unfortunately, my past two houses had large workshops but do not live there any longer and now reside in a townhouse. So when contemplating getting back into ship building, I was concerned about not having enough room. I (thankfully) had a small utility room that housed three cabinets and decided to change that room into a modelers room. The room is only 8 1/2' X 6' but I felt large enough to build.
As you can see by the photos below, I stripped the room out and built a L shaped workstation. Luckily I saved all my RC tools so not much needed in that area. Have two Dremel's so good to go.
I did purchase two LED lights from Walmart that were a real bargain. These lights can be be expensive but these were only $23 for both. I also bought a new magnifier lamp that has a 5" lens and has a very thin footprint.
Also treated myself to a 24" TV. This was a MUST as I wanted to be able to access the Internet and especially SOS for much needed advice while building. I settled on an Insignia brand since it had Amazon Fire built in. This was important as many smart TV's will not allow internet access unless you pay a monthly fee. Amazon Fire has their Silk browser app that is FREE. So now have the TV with Internet, Music, Movies and TV shows while building.
The room also has many built in shelves behind the louver doors on the right so plenty of storage. And lucky to have a large window (that opens) where the Project Manager can sit and supervise the goings-on. He's a 3 year old Conure and will only be in there when using standard wood glue...not CA.
So am almost ready to go - just need a few more things and waiting on my ZHL Le Soleil Royal kit to arrive.View attachment 222605View attachment 222606View attachment 222607View attachment 222608View attachment 222609View attachment 222610
Hi Bud-J,
Lovely build room.
Great to see you are starting off with a simple build, haha.
Are you going to do a build log?

Cheers,
Stephen.

Here's my $.02...
So am almost ready to go - just need a few more things and waiting on my ZHL Le Soleil Royal kit to arrive.View attachment 222605View attachment 222606View attachment 222607View attachment 222608View attachment 222609View attachment 222610
Your room is now well prepared - we can see also additional light (which is very important)
So we are all looking forward to see your work on the Soleil Royal in a new building log - your computer is also prepared directly next to your working area - so very short distance ...... :cool:

I don't want to withhold my modest workshop from you either. At the moment this is a general area in which I do everything. The pure shipyard for shipbuilding is currently being built in the basement on about 20 square meters, I hope that I can start moving in the next 3-4 months.
View attachment 274992

View attachment 274993

View attachment 274994

View attachment 274995
Wow, how helpful it is to have such a large and well-equipped space to produce what you want and love.:)
I settle for the family dining area, where sometimes family members complain about the noise and dirt, it seems to me they are used to it.:cool:
Good luck with the construction of the new space for building ship modelsThumbsup

Back