Workshops My shipyard/your shipyard

Lately, I have piece milled my workbench until it just doesn't make any sense anymore. In the beginning, (with kit building) I thought to myself that I would never use this much space, but with the advent of scratch building, it alone has consumed twice as much space as before because of all the power tools necessary. As I was just sitting in my shop, I just got downright depressed as it just does not meet my needs anymore and just a total mess. I hate the look of clutter and mess ( just me ).
What I completely lack are drawers. I think that if I had drawers that would help a lot.

So, with this in mind, does anyone would like to share (pictures) their workbench/work areas to maybe give me some ideas? I can not take in my garage so that is out of the question. I now occupy a guest bedroom about 10 x 14 and what I would like to do is just demolish what I have and start all over again.

I guess staying at home has gotten to me.

I had the same problem. I started on a simple old table. But the chainging to scratchbuilding does need a lot of machines and a "order" to work efficient.
On the left is my workbench, on the right my machine-alley. My drawers are all from the IKEA-Kitchen-System. In the base cabinet under the milling machine is the extraction system. I will build a shaft to get a connection with every machine. A lot of machines (lathe, thincknessplaner) i have stored in the base-cabinet. If i need them i will get it out. Next week i will move the tool-wall to the other side and put two big white-boards in top of my workbench. I need every times my plans to check details and get informations. It´s not optimal at the moment.

1586495222144.png

Last edited:
Oliver,
this is what I also have in mind. The cabinets would be a concern to me as I like to work sitting down and no where to put my legs under tables. However ,this idea does SHIFT my thinking that I can work standing up. I assume that you are standing up while working on the power bench (to the right).

Oh. Another obstacle that I have YET to figure out is when it comes to rigging time. How to access tools hanging on the wall in front when you have all that ship rigging in the way. That is also very irritating to me too. It is almost like the access of tools should be on both sides left and right while the very front of the ship and behind the ship be clear. However, that plan really boxes you in as you are sitting in the middle of a U shaped work area.

To work standing was very important for my. Its very comfortable. The idea with the U i thought a lot of times, but if you do this, you loose space and you have to move the drawers 90 degrees. You win a little bit more workbench, but you loose space. This is the deal.
The tools on the wall are from a time before my shipbuilding career was started. Its very dangerous for the model, if a tool fall down......ouch......

OK GUYS KNOW THE FEELING JUST FINISHED UP WELL MY DAUGHTER and GRANDSONS DID TOMORROW SON-IN- LAWS turn completly re did all my work room, now into my living room, also bed room, why not bath room will think about that, DONNIE CHECK HOBBY ZONE, AMERICAN DISTRIBUTOR HOBBY WORLD THEY HAVE A GREAT SELECTION OF MODELAR UNITS PRICES NOT BAD, as you guys know very little if standing for me almost every thing has to be sitting only one machine standing my BAND SAW but can use support there, go to it guys. Don

I had the same problem. I started on a simple old table. But the chainging to scratchbuilding does need a lot of machines and a "order" to work efficient.
On the left is my workbench, on the right my machine-alley. My drawers are all from the IKEA-Kitchen-System. In the base cabinet under the milling machine is the extraction system. I will build a shaft to get a connection with every machine. A lot of machines (lathe, thincknessplaner) i have stored in the base-cabinet. If i need them i will get it out. Next week i will move the tool-wall to the other side and put two big white-boards in top of my workbench. I need every times my plans to check details and get informations. It´s not optimal at the moment.

View attachment 142930
It is always fun to reorganize your workspace.

Lately, I have piece milled my workbench until it just doesn't make any sense anymore. In the beginning, (with kit building) I thought to myself that I would never use this much space, but with the advent of scratch building, it alone has consumed twice as much space as before because of all the power tools necessary. As I was just sitting in my shop, I just got downright depressed as it just does not meet my needs anymore and just a total mess. I hate the look of clutter and mess ( just me ).
What I completely lack are drawers. I think that if I had drawers that would help a lot.

So, with this in mind, does anyone would like to share (pictures) their workbench/work areas to maybe give me some ideas? I can not take in my garage so that is out of the question. I now occupy a guest bedroom about 10 x 14 and what I would like to do is just demolish what I have and start all over again.

I guess staying at home has gotten to me.
Donnie I moved your thread to into this thread as the topic already existed,so you can go to first post and check all the shops out.

Oh. Another obstacle that I have YET to figure out is when it comes to rigging time. How to access tools hanging on the wall in front when you have all that ship rigging in the way. That is also very irritating to me too. It is almost like the access of tools should be on both sides left and right while the very front of the ship and behind the ship be clear. However, that plan really boxes you in as you are sitting in the middle of a U shaped work area.
An older and wiser guy who had taught me most of my ship building here locally said his workspace had three level for ships, first to build hull, highest level, normal bench work, then a lower level down 12" to start working on masts and rigging, finally a shorter level for working on top of masts and rigging.

He said it kept the current work at arms and eye level without stretching.

Like many of us, he said usually there is a boat in each level waiting on work to be done.

I believe he said he made 5-6 ships a year, and when I asked what he does with them, he replied, sell them to east coast decorators for BIG bucks.

An older and wiser guy who had taught me most of my ship building here locally said his workspace had three level for ships, first to build hull, highest level, normal bench work, then a lower level down 12" to start working on masts and rigging, finally a shorter level for working on top of masts and rigging.

He said it kept the current work at arms and eye level without stretching.

Like many of us, he said usually there is a boat in each level waiting on work to be done.

I believe he said he made 5-6 ships a year, and when I asked what he does with them, he replied, sell them to east coast decorators for BIG bucks.
My workbench is an old drafting table. I raise or lower it depending on what I'm working on.

Jan

This is my dungeon (in better days I call it a cave). It is so small that if one person wants to step in, 2 have to step out...
And, strangely (and highly welcome) the photos do not show the real state of dust...
Janos

DSC_0828.JPG

The table tools are mostly Proxxon ones.

DSC_0827.JPG

The pearl in this cave: the Unimat 3.

DSC_0826.JPG

And this is how I handle that big SoS in the small room. I made a platform on castors and lately, as SOS grows in height, I made it also height adjustable. This is one of CBW devices of mine (Crude But Working).

This first photo is my lowly very first work bench - I think it was back around 2005 ??

bench.jpg

The next one maybe 2009?

workbench.jpg

Then the most current.
This is my shop in total disarray and confusion. No rhyme or reason to anything. I hate it.
Seems like life was more simple with the tiny bench.

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful and well equipped workshop indeed Donnie!

And Janos, it seems that you have same type of Proxxon table saw and Delta bandsaw as I do. What do you think about the Delta? Are you happy with it? I just hate it, especially the table with grooves. I would like to buy a better and slightly bigger bandsaw but don't know which brand.

Hi Moxis,
Originally I had the Proxxon hands as, I still have it and I like it. The Delta (which I received from a friend later) is there only for bigger pieces and I don't need it too often. But I have to admit that it is superior to the Proxxon.
Janos

I have noticed that it is most convinient to have a big workbench in the middle of the room so that you can work on every side of the table. Also it is nice to keep smaller power- and handtools, materials etc in the cupboards and drawers and not on tables because of the dust which always spreads around.

20200411_081607.jpg20200411_081627.jpg

Last edited:
Back