Workshops My shipyard/your shipyard

Here a few pictures of my man cave. I am fortunate to have this hobby room at the basement of our house. On the tables you can see the lathe, milling machine and cnc router. Smaller power tools are hiding inside the cabinets. Also you can see some of my models finished during the last few years. And on the centre table is the latest project, a fibreglass hull of steam powered sloop Lempi, together with Marcher steam engine of my own production, which was finished a few weeks ago and will be installed into the hull of Lempi. Testing of the engine with compressed air has just been made and it was performing quite nicely, so hopefully it will run with steam power too in the future.

20181225_094819.jpg20181225_094759.jpg20181225_094547.jpg20181225_094559.jpg20181225_094611.jpg20181225_094632.jpg20181225_094641.jpg20181225_094656.jpg

Here a few pictures of my man cave. I am fortunate to have this hobby room at the basement of our house. On the tables you can see the lathe, milling machine and cnc router. Smaller power tools are hiding inside the cabinets. Also you can see some of my models finished during the last few years. And on the centre table is the latest project, a fibreglass hull of steam powered sloop Lempi, together with Marcher steam engine of my own production, which was finished a few weeks ago and will be installed into the hull of Lempi. Testing of the engine with compressed air has just been made and it was performing quite nicely, so hopefully it will run with steam power too in the future.

View attachment 69267View attachment 69268View attachment 69269View attachment 69270View attachment 69271View attachment 69272View attachment 69273View attachment 69274

Now thats a workshop of a dream!

Thanks guys for your kind words, I really appreciate them.
The model with one mast is cutter Le Cerf, made according to Ancre drawing, the ketch with two masts has been made according to very old Mc Cregor plan Clara May. And the lake steamer is a model of S/S Maaninka, built at the beginning of 1900. Still sailing under the name Paul Wahl.

The model with one mast is cutter Le Cerf,
That is awesome Moxis! I am following your work from MSW, especially Le Cerf. I would love more information about that build, especially how you did carvel planking. Your model inspires me to buy a book from Ancre. If you can start your build log about Le Cerf...I made my New Year wish :) I am sure, we all will benefit with your very fine craftsmanship.

Thanks again Raymond and Jim, I am always very glad to have feedback to my writings. It gives you a lot of motivation to see that somebody is really seeing and reading your postings.

Raymond: Before retiring I thought hard, what should I do after retirement, because I had seen so many of my friends just frustrating because they didn`t have anything to do. So I thought to continue making models, because that I had been doing for almost my entire life, and invested into some major equipment like a good lathe, milling machine and cnc router, because I knew that after retirement the income would drop so much that I wouldn`t have funds any more for these equipment. And at the same time I arranged a nice warm workshop at the basement of our house, and bought all the tables and cabinets where all tools will be located away from dust. And I am glad I did that, because now, about 8 years after retirement I still use the tools a lot and build models almost every day.

Jim: I try to fullfill your wish and will issue a shortened version of Le Cerf build blog here in a near future. Unfortunately I don`t have all the pictures any more, and I don`t remember exactly how I made everything, but I try to write something. At the time I was building her I was issuing a build blog both at MSW and a Finnish forum, but it seems that the entire blog has disappeared from both places when the model was finished and pictures moved into the gallery.

im: I try to fullfill your wish and will issue a shortened version of Le Cerf build blog here in a near future
A much appreciated, Moti. I look forward to. You are correct, your log is gone from MSW, not sure why...:confused:
In any way, I am glad to find you here in this forum. Happy New Year!!

Thanks again Raymond and Jim, I am always very glad to have feedback to my writings. It gives you a lot of motivation to see that somebody is really seeing and reading your postings.

Raymond: Before retiring I thought hard, what should I do after retirement, because I had seen so many of my friends just frustrating because they didn`t have anything to do. So I thought to continue making models, because that I had been doing for almost my entire life, and invested into some major equipment like a good lathe, milling machine and cnc router, because I knew that after retirement the income would drop so much that I wouldn`t have funds any more for these equipment. And at the same time I arranged a nice warm workshop at the basement of our house, and bought all the tables and cabinets where all tools will be located away from dust. And I am glad I did that, because now, about 8 years after retirement I still use the tools a lot and build models almost every day.

Jim: I try to fullfill your wish and will issue a shortened version of Le Cerf build blog here in a near future. Unfortunately I don`t have all the pictures any more, and I don`t remember exactly how I made everything, but I try to write something. At the time I was building her I was issuing a build blog both at MSW and a Finnish forum, but it seems that the entire blog has disappeared from both places when the model was finished and pictures moved into the gallery.

You have organized a great working place - very good machines and a lot of space - and I see a lot of chairs, so we all could fit for a beer or so

Thank you again guys for many comments. This is really a friendly forum. When I have earlier posted on other forums, I hardly get any comments. But here the comments are nice and funny.

For instance Uwe: Yes, I have lot of chairs there. So you and others are very welcome for a beer or two, but don't mention that to my wife so that she couldn't find my secret refrigerator in my cave.

And Peglegreg: There is sawdust sometimes, but the rule number 148 of my wife says: "You must always clean the sawdust immediately after having stopped to work down there".

View attachment 69267View attachment 69268View attachment 69269View attachment 69270View attachment 69271View attachment 69272View attachment 69273View attachment 69274
That is more like a factory than a workshop. Very nice indeed.

Vince P. Ship-1

Back