NANTUCKET LIGHTSHIP - 1:95 scale by LINDBERG

I sat down and did some work getting my two mushroom anchors together. I found a picture of the actual anchors and noticed that they have four triangular openings on them. I imagine this helped to create less drag when hauling them up. I used a small drill bit and created four openings around the rim of my anchors. They may not be triangular in shape, but at this scale I will make due.
01 14 12 almost primed 071.jpgDSCN5787.JPG

So here's a few pics to update my progress. I added a few 'dings' into my anchors (seeing how they get dragged along the ocean's bottom). I also drilled out the small 'vent'(?) that is attached to the smokestack to add a little more realism to it. I used a couple of pieces of styrene to back the vent to prevent it from breaking off while I drilled. I did some more work on the superstructures that will eventually be lit by led's. I detailed some of the exterior fixtures an walls; I used red transparency film on the inside of the wheelhouse portholes. For all other portholes, I either used a piece of styrene painted flat black to block any light or used a yellow film behind the portholes. I want to give the effect that some cabins are not in use.

The camera sure brings out any imperfections at close range!!! It looks like I'll be going back to correct some of these flaws.

DSCN5797.JPGDSCN5790.JPGDSCN5794.JPGDSCN5793.JPGDSCN5792.JPGDSCN5795.JPG

I did a test run to see if the Pico sized LED light would be bright enough to light my wheelhouse and other cabins. It is so tiny that I was a little apprehensive whether it would produce enough light. It seems to work fine and is not overpowering. I also made a little chart table that will be just inside of the open hatch to prevent too much light from shining out of the hatch.

I also picked up a nice shadow box frame from Michaels for $16 that measures 9"x20"x1.5". I plan to fill it with about 3/4" of Plaster of Paris. After it dries, I will add some acrylic blue paint and then I will be using Vallejo's Water Effects Atlantic Blue gel to give it the effect that the ship is anchored at sea. I will be running the wiring for the lights inside of 1/4" clear tubing. (leftover from my surgeries in 2017).It will run from hull to a 1/4" hole on the back of frame. The AA battery pack and on/off switch fit perfectly on the frame as well.

Last edited:
Very Nice. I did not know that Lindberg made this. This is going to be an impressive project. Good idea about blacking out the interior for the lights. I used Evans Lights on my San Felipe - nice product.
Donnie - Good to hear that about Evans Lights. I'm very happy with him and his products. This kit is going to be my training exercise on wiring lights and creating a diorama base. I stumbled across a 1:60 scale Shrimp Boat by Lindberg on Ebay. I made an offer and bought it for $24 including shipping. I'm planning to use it to build Forest Gump's "Jenny" shrimp boat. I'm looking to find two figures that I can use for Sargeant Dan and Forest. Either 1:58 or 1:64 scale.

VERY nice - I really like the anchors - man, they look so life like. I did a google on that Shrimp Boat - that is going to be awesome project. I can't wait to see that one too. PopcornPopcorn

Slowed down a bit with any progress on my lightship due to Halloween season. My Evergreen tubing finally arrived for my light towers. HaPpY HaLLOWeeN !!! 1964861_10201621395975028_39302035332137650_n.jpg

One more week to go with Halloween at Six Flags. I managed to get some work done on some small detail parts for the superstructures. I also started making my two beacon towers from .219" Evergreen tubing, metal rings, very small strip of balsa wood and some cut-off parts from the original solid towers. *** Nothing has been glued to the deck.
DSCN6036.JPGDSCN6037.JPGDSCN6040.JPGDSCN6035.JPGDSCN6037.JPG

I agree about the Pictures its how I find little errors in my builds. sometimes our perspective isn't a clear as a picture can be especially with todays high quality Digital cameras. I usually take pictures from my S9+ phone but I will be starting to use my cannon camera as I just got it back from the shop.

Finished cutting and installing the railings on top of the structures. I did some subtle weathering tp the structures using some weathering powders by Bragdon Enterprises. I also did a test run on the two beacon towers with my 3mm bright LED lights. Towers are not complete but are scratch built. The kit towers were solid which would not allow for wiring but I cut off the two small lights and installed them to my forward tower. * Nothing is glued to the deck at this point.
DSCN6105.JPGDSCN6109.JPG

I have finished installing the 1mm LED navigational lights to the forward cabin. I drilled a tiny hole through the center of the light on each housing and then used tacky glue and CA glue to attach the light into place. I then glued the light housing to the cabin's rail.
I also finished both of the beacon towers and each one has a 3mm slow-flashing light installed. I then did a test run to check that lights still functioned.
DSCN6127.JPGDSCN6139.JPGDSCN6135.JPGDSCN6137.JPGDSCN6136.JPGDSCN6146.JPG

All of my lights are now attached and working! I admit, it looks chaotic, but it works LOL. Only the pilot house and the two beacon towers are glued to the deck at this point. The one lower light underneath the deck will illuminate the engine room's skylight and some of the lower portholes. Everything else will be attached after deck is installed into the hull. I randomly blacked out many of the hull's porthole windows and covered the others with yellow transparency film to give the illusion that some cabins below deck will be in use.
DSCN6164.JPGDSCN6167.JPG

Looking real good.
If you have any friends who do RC boats, they should invite you to anchor in the pond. They can run at night now.

Following you. (everywhere)

Nino

Nino - thank you for taking a look! I got a lot of tips and help from a gentleman named Bill, who goes by the name of rcboater, and belongs to a RC group. He has a wonderful RC Nantucket lightship on youtube. GooD HoLiDaYs To YoU Ship-1
15936451_10207946567722569_7791016658124156945_o.jpg

Last edited:
Jim - I appreciate your comment and I can only counter with what I'm seeing on your Charles Royal Yacht ;) Hats off to you !!! I hope you and loved ones have a wonderful Holiday Season !!!

Back