Natterer - A Lake Windermere (England) Steam Launch

Hi Ted,
Thanks for your reply, I wouldn't fancy trying to place a 80 lb or 36 kg boat into the water either, my back is feeling saw thinking about it.
Good to hear the boiler control works well for you, I recall reading that they were a bit problematic , an attenuation valve being a mechanical option. It is good that you have a more than adequate heat source.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Hi Stephen,
Fortunately the hull and powerplant each weigh roughly the same, and I can put the boat in the water and drop the plant in and connect/ secure in about two minutes. Only downside is I have to get in the water with her (in Waders) to be able to manage it!
No particular problems with the boiler control - I had read some of them gave trouble.
The burners were designed to provide enough steam for the launch engine when the cylinders were 1" internal diameter, and I only later sleeved them down to 3/4" - consequently only half the steam requirement, and I find the boat cruises nicely at about 1/3 throttle. Called the burner 'Smaug' - you should hear the roar and see the flame on full power!

Ted

Hi Ted,
That is good that the weight is broken down into manageable parts.
I like the reference to "Smaug" and it's good to hear that "Smaug" doesn't need to be breathing hard, and heaven forbid that he should sneeze in a confined space!
Cheers,
Stephen.

@Ted, WOW! You're really an artist not a model builder. I'm 72 and have been building models most of my life and this build is one of the best I've ever seen. It's amazing, really.
Looking forward to anything else you do around here. Thumbsup :)

Hello Ted, Thank you for all of the work that you have gone to present your oddessy sharing with so many of us, the journey. I have enjoyed all of the reading and looking, totally inspiring project that must be extremely satisfying to have completed. I was particularly interested in your comments about achieving the appropriate speed when sailing, i have seen so many models that all though beautifully built are just moving too fast through the water which immediately makes them look like toys. The building and the actual sailing are two totally different experiences, the first when you are pouring over your work so intimate with just inches / centimetres between you and it and second when you send it off it into the world to live for a little while a sort of seperate life. All of the best. Tony

Thanks for your kind comments, Rick and Tony!
Yes, the Windermere launches do look good when sailing at an appropriate speed; I just sail her at a speed which I think is correct, but there is a formula somewhere which you can use to calculate how fast a model should sail.
Rick, I don't anticipate doing any more work on this build, but you could look 'King's Fisher', which I've just finished (click on the bottom of this post)

Regards
Ted

Wowwwwwwww What a great build so Many Thanks for show this up .
Is there a video of Natterer in the Pond
Thanks
Regards Bernhard

Wowwwwwwww What a great build so Many Thanks for show this up .
Is there a video of Natterer in the Pond
Thanks
Regards Bernhard
Many thanks Bernhard!
I loved building this boat, but when she was first launched I didn't have any video equipment, and she was never recorded running, other than in the photos. Maybe some day!

Regards

Ted

Thanks enjoy this build many Times..
When my Bat is Build..Did you ever take your ovn photos of the real Bat have only fund a very few on the webb..
Regards
BERNHARD

A really superb build - well done!
Love the detail you have incorporated in her, and I think it really reinforces my view that open boats need a crew to add to the realism.
Oh! - those hazy crazy days of summer!!

what is her LOA?

Ted

Many Thanks sorry.. Her Loa??
Build after plans of the real Bat. In the Museum
Sorry Bernhard,
More a term you'll hear in period ship modelling - Length Overall
What I'm asking is what length is she?

Ted

Ohh ok Thanks...around scale 1 /8.. 120cm
The Figurs are 1/8..it have a Martin Baylis 2 cylinder enginen in and a special made boiler, 350ML.. axel driven water pump and 1 wlds.el pump..
70mm prop shop prop..and made so I looklike there is fire in the boiler when you se it from the firedoor..and opera.mucik in the gramophone ,
Regards
BERNHARD

Ohh ok Thanks...around scale 1 /8.. 120cm
The Figurs are 1/8..it have a Martin Baylis 2 cylinder enginen in and a special made boiler, 350ML.. axel driven water pump and 1 wlds.el pump..
70mm prop shop prop..and made so I looklike there is fire in the boiler when you se it from the firedoor..and opera.mucik in the gramophone ,
Regards
BERNHARD
Nice size! My "Natterer" is 1.8 metres long, and has a corresponding weight increase. However, she was built around a Stuart-Turner launch engine so had to be that size to look "right".
Love the figures - did you make them or were they bought?

Ted

Thanks ohh yes I have be looking on your launch 100 times it is a build.of the absolut top your build of a steam launch.The figures is from.the movie.the hatefull eight. 1/8..I have don som light work to captain hat.and 2 sommer hats..som pibes and a cigar thats it..
I do some work now to giv the burner some more aire. 1,8. Thats more than my small car can have. But look geeat in the Pond. A video of it..Just one, not in the Pond but to se the enginen and so on in work.. figures 1/6..Will fit yours .and they can be made so good looking..I have don many of them,in my other steam launch on youtube ,
Regards
Bernhard

Thanks ohh yes I have be looking on your launch 100 times it is a build.of the absolut top your build of a steam launch.The figures is from.the movie.the hatefull eight. 1/8..I have don som light work to captain hat.and 2 sommer hats..som pibes and a cigar thats it..
I do some work now to giv the burner some more aire. 1,8. Thats more than my small car can have. But look geeat in the Pond. A video of it..Just one, not in the Pond but to se the enginen and so on in work.. figures 1/6..Will fit yours .and they can be made so good looking..I have don many of them,in my other steam launch on youtube ,
Regards
Bernhard
One more beautiful launch with great and interesting details -> Bravo

One more beautiful launch with great and interesting details -> Bravo
Bernhard,
Love the boat! Especially all the added detail of a working boat.
But I think I might give the frying pan a miss!

Superb!

Ted

The Snekke it build after drawing og a real build in Denmark 1944..lerch on oak..100 cm long

Back