Natterer - A Lake Windermere (England) Steam Launch

Hi Ted,
Thanks for your reply, I wouldn't fancy trying to place a 80 lb or 36 kg boat into the water either, my back is feeling saw thinking about it.
Good to hear the boiler control works well for you, I recall reading that they were a bit problematic , an attenuation valve being a mechanical option. It is good that you have a more than adequate heat source.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Hi Stephen,
Fortunately the hull and powerplant each weigh roughly the same, and I can put the boat in the water and drop the plant in and connect/ secure in about two minutes. Only downside is I have to get in the water with her (in Waders) to be able to manage it!
No particular problems with the boiler control - I had read some of them gave trouble.
The burners were designed to provide enough steam for the launch engine when the cylinders were 1" internal diameter, and I only later sleeved them down to 3/4" - consequently only half the steam requirement, and I find the boat cruises nicely at about 1/3 throttle. Called the burner 'Smaug' - you should hear the roar and see the flame on full power!

Ted

Hi Ted,
That is good that the weight is broken down into manageable parts.
I like the reference to "Smaug" and it's good to hear that "Smaug" doesn't need to be breathing hard, and heaven forbid that he should sneeze in a confined space!
Cheers,
Stephen.