Caf Model - New Kit 1/48 Le Coureur 1776

Yes, I want to find a good way to polish my wheels
Take a look at this post - in principle possible also with wheels ...

HI ALL, I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE TO DO, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD ASK ANYWAY, IS IT POSSIBLE TO LIST THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE ANCRE MONOGRAPH, AND WHAT THE MODEL IS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

I'm on the list for the Alert but keeping an eye on this kit. Can anyone compare and contrast these two ?

HI ALL, I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE TO DO, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD ASK ANYWAY, IS IT POSSIBLE TO LIST THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE ANCRE MONOGRAPH, AND WHAT THE MODEL IS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON
There are differences, due to the fact, that the Coureur was captured by the british and afterwards in the shipyard, especially the interieur, adjusted. This we had already discussed in an older post of this topic. To list the differences will be only possible, when the kit is completely developed and we have the final kit in hand.....
Than I will be able to make it......Before it is only guessing ....

I'm on the list for the Alert but keeping an eye on this kit. Can anyone compare and contrast these two ?
Do you mean comparing the kits or the original vessels?
Kit comparison we can make only when the final kit of the Coureur is released or we have a test kit in hand.
The original vessels:
Alert:
Coureur:
I am planning to make a more detailed ship history of the Le Coureur asap, especially I have now the english translation of the Boudriot booklet in hand.

BTW:
Tomorrow (17th June 1778) is the anniversary of the action between the Le Coureur and the HMS Alert

The Action of 17 June 1778 also known as the Fight of Belle Poule and Arethusa was a minor naval action that took place off the coast of France between British and French frigates. The action was widely celebrated by both France and Great Britain and was the first between the two naval forces during the American Revolutionary War before a formal declaration of war was even announced.

Combat_de_la_Belle_Poule_et_de_l'Aréthusa.jpg
Combat de la Belle Poule et de l'Aréthusa, Auguste-Louis de Rossel de Cercy

Combat_de_la_Belle_Poule_et_de_l'Aréthusa (1)a.jpg
Coureur and Alert

Background
On 13 June 1778, Admiral Augustus Keppel, with twenty-one ships of the line and three frigates, was dispatched by the Admiralty to keep watch over the French fleet at Brest; Keppel was to prevent a junction of the Brest and Toulon fleets, more by persuasion if he could since both nations were not at war. The French 26-gun frigate, Belle Poule was on a reconnaissance along with the 26-gun frigate Licorne, the corvette Hirondelle, and the cutter Coureur, when on 17 June she encountered a large British squadron that included HMS Arethusa at a point 23 miles (37 km) south of The Lizard.

Admiral Keppel, commanding the British fleet, ordered that the French ships be pursued and returned to his flagship by any means since he did not want the French ships to see the British strength.

Action
Licorne did so, after being overhauled by two British ships HMS Milford, mounting 28 guns, and HMS America, of 64 guns. Licorne subsequently tried to escape during the night after having meditated on affairs, but surrendered after a brief combat with America, a vessel double her size.

Belle-Poule-10_lbp2.jpg
Beginning of the action

Meanwhile, Arethusa and the cutter HMS Alert caught up to Belle Poule, accompanied by the French cutter Le Courier. The captain of Belle Poule refused the order to sail back to the British fleet. The British fired a warning shot across his ship's bow, to which he responded with a full broadside. Thus a furious, two-hour battle between the two ships with Arethusa. Belle Poule was eager to escape and soon began to inflict serious damage upon Arethusa, which ended up with her topmasts hanging over the side and canvas torn. Soon after Arethusa lay shattered and then lost her main mast.

Soon the wind fell and with it the shot-torn loftier sails of Belle Poule. However, they held enough wind to drift her out of the reach of Arethusa's fire. Both ships were close under the French cliffs and Belle Poule struggled into a tiny cove in the rocks. Nothing remained for Arethusa but to cut away her wreckage, hoist what sail she could, and drag herself back under jury-masts to the British fleet.

Meanwhile, Coureur was overtaken by the British cutter Alert, and after some resistance finally cooperated with being taken to Keppel's flagship. Hirondelle escaped the engagement entirely.

Aftermath
Arethusa suffered 44 casualties from her 198-man crew, but the masts and rigging had been so severely damaged that the ship had to be towed by newly arrived British ships. As other ships from Keppel's fleet approached, Belle Poule withdrew toward the French coast having lost 30 killed and 72 wounded, among them her captain, Lieutenant Jean Isaac Chadeau de la Clocheterie.

This battle was the first between British and French naval forces during the Anglo-French War and took place around three weeks before the formal declaration of war by France. Admiral Keppel himself was surprised by the reaction of the French captains as he only intended to speak with them, and then release their ships.

The battle was widely celebrated in France as a victory; ladies of the high society invented the hairstyle "Belle Poule", with a ship on the top of the head.

With the capture of Licorne and Hirondelle it was also viewed as a victory in Britain and became the subject of a traditional Sea shanty, The Saucy Arethusa. (Roud # 12675).

I meant the kits as presented so far. I'm a glutton, so MAYBE, will order the le coureur as well, if sufficient differences make it worthwhile. Opinions most welcome .

I meant the kits as presented so far. I'm a glutton, so MAYBE, will order the le coureur as well, if sufficient differences make it worthwhile. Opinions most welcome .
Both ships will make a great models next one to each other, IMHO. I like those type of vessels they are elegant enough to attract and catch an eye and doesn't require a lot of time to build (an average). Both ships are clinker planked and both POF kits. However, Alert is the Cuter while Courier is Luger. But that doesn't matter, I guess!

Le Coureur and HMS Alert there are big differences
This is due to the different design purposes of the designers at the beginning
1 Structurall:,Le coureur is French,HMS alert is English
2 In terms of difficulty:The serrated ribs of Le coureur are a challenge, so we designed a special shipway to ensure the accuracy of fabrication,Of course, this is the original intention of our design to embody his structure
3 In terms of overall effect:Le coureur has three masts, so his sails are very beautiful,This is also the premise for us to insist on making masts and sails
4 From the perspective of product materials:We used brass to make metal accessories such as cannon, anchor, etc., lead leather to make waterproof partition of powder cabin, leather to make waterproof wrapping material of rudder, and boxwood to make wood carving,The flag was made by gilding process, and the boiler made of clay was used

So le coureur and HMS alert is a totally different experience

One kit on order, waiting on my time on list for second, then maybe in a decade I can recreate the great sea battle between them! Only time will tell which ship would win that future battle. I would have to replace cannon with laser cannons, and swords with hand held laser pistols, and masts hold rigging for warp drives....

Belle Poule sounds like a great modelling subject.

Back