USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 - by Uwe

Hallo Kurt,
interesting question, by accident I discussed the same yesterday evening with some modeling friends here in Vienna.

View attachment 154206 View attachment 154207

Originally I was too lazy during construction to cut all planks to the absolute correct length, and my intention was from the beginning, to cut / sand them to the correct same length at the end of the section construction. In the meantime, I like the look, that the planks do not have the same length.
Honestly I do not know in moment, how I will decide at the end........ let us see - and I am open for comments and a discussion about the pros and cons
I suppose, if you decide to cut them to length, you could run the cross-section through 12" mitre saw (widow maker). Just kidding.:) Excellent work as always.

Many Thanks to all for your comments, suggestions and also the likes received - much appreciated

For preparation (and dry fit) I prepared the next (and last) beams - one of the next steps will also be the cutting of the frames in order to get the final form of the hull.
For this I will need the final level of the deck
IMG-3540.jpg

IMG-3542.jpg

The appr. cutting line of the frames is marked with a pencil
IMG-3543.jpg

IMG-3544.jpg

IMG-3545.jpg

in addition I was able to make the jeer bitts with four wooden sheaves, mounted on a brass axis - now I am able to finalize also the area around the stairs etc.
IMG-3546.jpg

IMG-3547.jpg

IMG-3548.jpg

IMG-3549.jpg

Many thanks for visiting my log and your interest .... to be continued .....

Yesterday evening I was think about to leave the other sheer bitts like they are, or also to install "real" sheaves
The imagination of sheaves was not bad, and if ropes would go through nobody would recognize
IMG-3664a.jpg

but I compared it with the other one I did last weeken
IMG-3667a.jpg

I decided to do it also and install in the slots wooden sheaves.
Honestly I do not really know, if at this time already metal sheaves were used, or wooden sheaves!
Maybe somebody knows the historical correct technical information???.......
Often modeler are using sheaves out of brass, which I could have done also, but I decided to try to make such wooden wheels without any special power tools.
In the following I want to show my way how I did it in the different working steps, so somebody else could use the same method, or tell us a better way - open for suggestions, comments and critics as always

Making of wooden sheaves:

cut out the slots with a 1mm wide small chisel - I love these small chisels, which are often in use in my workshop
IMG-3669.jpg

close up of the slots
IMG-3668a.jpg

as base material I used a round rod and cut with the saw some disks
IMG-3670.jpg

drilling the center holes - the metal screw etc. you know very well from Proxxon or Dremel, usually used for a circular saw or grinding blade
IMG-3671.jpg

one disk fixed
IMG-3672.jpg

The Proxxon drill is horizontal fixed in a drill stand - sanding the surface of the disk with running the drill
IMG-3673.jpg

afterwards I used a round file and sanded the recess
IMG-3675.jpg

four pieces prepared with the recesses, but still too thick to match into the slots
IMG-3676.jpg

after some (hand) sanding they got the correct thickness to fit into the slots
IMG-3677.jpg

and the final result
IMG-3678a.jpg

Here you can switch between the two versions - I think it was worth to do so
IMG-3667a.jpg IMG-3678a.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest - HAPPY MODELING

Yes, it looks very good with real pulleys installed!

But as you said, when rigging is installed, will you be able to see the pulleys at all?

Maybe just do a temporary rigging install to see what the would look like and compare them with threads installed.

Yes, it looks very good with real pulleys installed!

But as you said, when rigging is installed, will you be able to see the pulleys at all?

Maybe just do a temporary rigging install to see what the would look like and compare them with threads installed.
There will be no rigging on this section, without Mast and yards...... maybe only some „deco“ rigging ..... i will see

Hi Uwe,

Love your wooden sheaves.
As far as I know sheaves were from brass or Lignum vitae, which we call in Dutch pokhout.
Pokhout is a tropical self lubricating hardwood.
From what period it was used I don t know but in Vasa there are already brass sheaves in use. For your time frame it should be more then ok.

Thanks for showing. It looks more better with the sheaves. You have to check the diameter on the both outside, maybe there is no space for the rope. It looks a little bit tightly. Karl maybe is not wrong. In the third 74-Book Page 117 - 123 are shown sheaves in bronze. For the Bonhomme Richard it should also be correct. The Mono should clear this point.

I think the wood cutters, look good even though they are made of wood, I agree with Oliver, maybe there is no room for the rope,

Yesterday evening I was think about to leave the other sheer bitts like they are, or also to install "real" sheaves
The imagination of sheaves was not bad, and if ropes would go through nobody would recognize
View attachment 155282

but I compared it with the other one I did last weeken
View attachment 155283

I decided to do it also and install in the slots wooden sheaves.
Honestly I do not really know, if at this time already metal sheaves were used, or wooden sheaves!
Maybe somebody knows the historical correct technical information???.......
Often modeler are using sheaves out of brass, which I could have done also, but I decided to try to make such wooden wheels without any special power tools.
In the following I want to show my way how I did it in the different working steps, so somebody else could use the same method, or tell us a better way - open for suggestions, comments and critics as always

Making of wooden sheaves:

cut out the slots with a 1mm wide small chisel - I love these small chisels, which are often in use in my workshop
View attachment 155285

close up of the slots
View attachment 155284

as base material I used a round rod and cut with the saw some disks
View attachment 155286

drilling the center holes - the metal screw etc. you know very well from Proxxon or Dremel, usually used for a circular saw or grinding blade
View attachment 155287

one disk fixed
View attachment 155288

The Proxxon drill is horizontal fixed in a drill stand - sanding the surface of the disk with running the drill
View attachment 155289

afterwards I used a round file and sanded the recess
View attachment 155290

four pieces prepared with the recesses, but still too thick to match into the slots
View attachment 155291

after some (hand) sanding they got the correct thickness to fit into the slots
View attachment 155292

and the final result
View attachment 155293

Here you can switch between the two versions - I think it was worth to do so
View attachment 155283 View attachment 155293

Many Thanks for your interest - HAPPY MODELING
Thanks for the tutorial. I can't believe you actually manually chiseled out openings for sheaves. Where did you get those miniature chisels?

and the final result
IMG-3678a.jpg
Fantastic work, Uwe!

Thanks for the tutorial. I can't believe you actually manually chiseled out openings for sheaves. Where did you get those miniature chisels?
Many thanks for your kind words......
For the standard work I use the chisels from Hasegawa, which I used for these slots
and for special works this special russian set

Not much happened, but I want to show it - in moment more the thinking and planning what to do next

The last three wall elements were fixed - the deck planking is only prepared but not fixed - I have to decide where I want to install the planking and in which areas not. Depends also where later the other store rooms will have to be installed - see later photos
View attachment 134161

View attachment 134162

View attachment 134163

These are the temporary pattern sheets for the two store rooms on this deck - I will make them in the same way like before, with some 0,5mm pear veneer as a basis - hope to this during the weekend
View attachment 134164

Only to get a feeling how it will look like
View attachment 134165

View attachment 134166

View attachment 134167

Many thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....
I am enjoying following your build. Is there a reason for installing the shot locker window with the sliding shutter on the opposite side to the way its shown on the drawings?

I am enjoying following your build. Is there a reason for installing the shot locker window with the sliding shutter on the opposite side to the way its shown on the drawings?
Many Thanks for the interest - there was only one reason -> Mistake and Error !!! well seen !!!!
I was looking at an other building log and the photos there and was not checking the drawings in detail - when it happened it was too late to change the location :eek:

And also btw a warm welcome here on board of our forum !!! Do you also build this kit model?
If yes, why not showing it here in our forum - would be great to see another one

And also btw a warm welcome here on board of our forum !!! Do you also build this kit model?
If yes, why not showing it here in our forum - would be great to see another one
Yes, I am building a version of the model and realised I made a mistake with the shot locker - I used the 2mm thick timber for the walls and I did not have enough for the cabin sides. I used the 1mm timber instead. It still looks ok.

Yes, I am building a version of the model and realised I made a mistake with the shot locker - I used the 2mm thick timber for the walls and I did not have enough for the cabin sides. I used the 1mm timber instead. It still looks ok.
Think about - to show yours also in a building log - with these logs others can get more information and also impression how to make the model and maybe bash it.....would be great

Back