USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 - by Uwe

Yes - many thanks for the link....
Now they are ratio 1:2 good to have - best for such scupper needs would be a ratio of 1:1,5 or similar.
But I will order some "rechthoukige buis" to have them in stock if needed in the next 20 years......
You can always make them yourselve. Take some brass strip, file or mill to correct outer diameter. Drill out a hole through it and file the ends from round to square, et voila.

Many thanks for your comments, ideas and likes - highly appreciated

These days I was very busy with other things, so no big progress on the section - nevertheless I started to make the stairs. No final touch until now, but it is possible to recognize, how it will look like and how they are located
68a.jpg

68b.jpg

68c.jpg

I guess you realize, that I like these views through the gunports ;)
68d.jpg

68e.jpg

and I started to finalize all these small elements around the mast partners - everything has to be prepared before final fixing with glue - f.e. the numbers on the mast are showing the locations of the mast-rings
68f.jpg

Hello Uwe, Just checking in on your great cross section, you are doing a splendid job of her. Great looking Ladders well built and fit very nice. I do have a question and that is will there be a rail on the upper deck center? If not it would be very easy for your little guys to clime up one side and fall down the other, just a thought.
Regards Lawrence

looking at your planking, are you sanding a bit the sharp edges to simulate caulking?
Hallo Zoly,
yes you are right - I am doing this very often make a small chamfer to reduce the sharp edges along the planks
This has several reasons:
1) I am pretty sure, that on the lower decks (f.e. Orlop) the original planks, which had no caulking in the joint were also slightly chamfered - so no splinters in the bare feets of the seamen - Just an idea of myself....
Here the Victory:
Orlop1 Vic.jpg

67ca1.jpg

2) The chamfer on both sides of the joint is producing a small shadow, so I am highlight slightly the joints between the planks.

3) On the upper deck now, I forgot the caulking - just forgot it - usually I make it with black or dark grey paper..... usually ......

My only question on the ladders meeting in center is was there a problem when more than one sailor came up from different sides, like when drumming battle stations?
Hello Uwe, Just checking in on your great cross section, you are doing a splendid job of her. Great looking Ladders well built and fit very nice. I do have a question and that is will there be a rail on the upper deck center? If not it would be very easy for your little guys to clime up one side and fall down the other, just a thought.
Regards Lawrence
Hallo Kurt and Lawrence,
These double stairs were functioning very good and were used in the same time climbing up from both sides
-> this can only work, when you have a main last step on top and the seamen are leaving the stairs every time in the same direction
68b1.jpg

I see said the blind sailor to the deaf Marine!

Now it makes sense to me, if there was a full deck to see where they could come out on.

This is like modern US Naval ships when battle stations is sounded, you go forward on starboard side only and go aft on port side only! Keeps people from running into each other.

Uwe,I am new to the chamfering,Saint Philippe being the first model I have used it on,but it adds another dimension and makes the model planking "pop".Pictures struggle to convey how good it looks in the flesh.
You have to love the French stairs,so much more attractive than boring English ones although in this instance not social distancing friendly ROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hallo Kurt and Lawrence,
These double stairs were functioning very good and were used in the same time climbing up from both sides
-> this can only work, when you have a main last step on top and the seamen are leaving the stairs every time in the same direction
View attachment 152185
Thanks Uwe for the expiations, this would work.
Regards Lawrence

Hallo Zoly,
yes you are right - I am doing this very often make a small chamfer to reduce the sharp edges along the planks
This has several reasons:
1) I am pretty sure, that on the lower decks (f.e. Orlop) the original planks, which had no caulking in the joint were also slightly chamfered - so no splinters in the bare feets of the seamen - Just an idea of myself....
Here the Victory:
View attachment 152183

View attachment 152184

2) The chamfer on both sides of the joint is producing a small shadow, so I am highlight slightly the joints between the planks.

3) On the upper deck now, I forgot the caulking - just forgot it - usually I make it with black or dark grey paper..... usually ......
Hi Uwe,

Have you considered the methode Kudin is using with the soldering iron tip, camfering and caulking in one go.

Hi Uwe,

Have you considered the methode Kudin is using with the soldering iron tip, camfering and caulking in one go.

Maarten
Kudin chamfers the planks before fitting.The soldering iron is to remove excess PVA predominantly.Hard to work out whether he actually does burn the wood from the videos

Kind Regards

Nigel

I guess..., it is time for Andrey @KUDIN to explain his method of using a soldering iron on deck\hull planking.

Not really translation into Russian (by Jim) :p

Bремя мастерa прийти на помощь: Андрей, пожалуйста объясните нам для чего ты применяешь паяльник когда ложишь палубный настил? Народ интересуется :)

Jim I guess you are SOS very own translator like Alexander Dobrenko in Dr Mike’s videos
I have seen what google translator makes of Russian,I dread to think what it says when you translate English into RussianRedface

Kind Regards

Nigel

Jim I guess you are SOS very own translator like Alexander Dobrenko in Dr Mike’s videos
I have seen what google translator makes of Russian,I dread to think what it says when you translate English into RussianRedface
For the most part, Google Translator does the job OK, but if you are using slang, not an official language, then... it stumbles. But...I can handle it :) If any of us need a translation from Russian, I offer my help.

For the most part, Google Translator does the job OK, but if you are using slang, not an official language, then... it stumbles. But...I can handle it :) If any of us need a translation from Russian, I offer my help.
Thank you Jim,I need translation from Russian to Mandarin :D

Back