USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 - by Uwe

Finishing the partners - only one notch was done with a small gap
65l.jpg

Than I realized that the kit part is not fitting very well - Thickness of 2mm, but 3mm should be to be on the same level like the planking next to the mast
also there is 1mm width missing - so once more a scratch solution will be necessary
65m.jpg

65n.jpg

I checked also the parts of the companion hatchway close to the mast - but to finalize this, I have to finish and install the bitt first :oops:
And with the bitt I have to finalize the planking around the mast :oops::oops::oops:
Often it is the searching for the egg - or the chicken - or the egg - no it is the chicken
65j.jpg

The next progress was the planking around the mast, located over the carlings. As mentioned before I made it scratch and did not use the kits part.

65a.jpg

Most problematic were the notches for the pumps. I will leave parts open to get a possible view on the carlings
65b.jpg

65e.jpg

65h.jpg

65i.jpg
also the ring around the mast will be cut similar to the planking - but later

final fit of the octagonal pumps
66a.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest and your likes - much appreciated

Working on the planking for the gun deck

The planks on top half of the photos have already drilled holes for the "tree-nails", the other marked with a small needle
66ea (2).jpg

66f.jpg

all drilled - ready for treenailing
66aa.jpg

"Tree Nail" fakes installed - sanding necessary
66ba.jpg

Finished planking on this side
66ca.jpg

Off course the inspection and supervisor visited once more the shipyard, in order to discuss the next working steps .......
66da.jpg

some nice views through the gunports
66ea.jpg

66fa.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ... to be continued ......

Yesterday some smaller progress with one side of the inner planking around the gunports - I do not know where I lost the 2 hours

67d.jpg

67c.jpg

67b.jpg

I hope I can make today the other side - but you can see how the basis is looking like
67a.jpg

Uwek,

Please forgive me for saying so, but the Bon Homme Richard was not a United States Ship, or USS. There was no United States at the time. We were the United Colonies, her moniker being Continental Navy Ship. Please accept my comment kindly. Your build is excellent!

Bill

Uwek,

Please forgive me for saying so, but the Bon Homme Richard was not a United States Ship, or USS. There was no United States at the time. We were the United Colonies, her moniker being Continental Navy Ship. Please accept my comment kindly. Your build is excellent!

Bill
Hallo Bill,
Many thanks for the friendly comment about my build.
Related to the other comment about her name:
This vessel was originally a french East Indiaman named Duc de Duras, she sailed in private service until she was purchased by King Louis XVI of France in early 1779 and placed under the command of John Paul Jones on 4 February.
With this she was part of the Continental Navy and participated in the Battle of Flamborough Head, when she was badly damaged and sank 2 days later on 25 September 1779.
And:

The United States Navy claims October 13, 1775 as the date of its official establishment, when the Second Continental Congress passed a resolution creating the Continental Navy. With the end of the American Revolutionary War, the Continental Navy was disbanded.

I am also a little bit confused, because all the ships of the Continental Navy during the American Revolutionary War have the "USS" in their name as a ship prefix, f.e. also the 13 frigates .....

Does it mean, that during this time the ships had not the USS, but later on renamed by historians ??

Uwek,

I would assume so. The term "United States of America" was first used by the Continental Congress on September 9, 1776, but the term "United Colonies" was also still in use as well. It is a gray area. But, I have never read "USS" used in any primary document of which I am aware. I could be wrong, but I have never seen "USS" used for Bon Homme Richard. Hence, my comment. Believe me, I meant it in kindness, not as a criticism.

Uwek,

I would assume so. The term "United States of America" was first used by the Continental Congress on September 9, 1776, but the term "United Colonies" was also still in use as well. It is a gray area. But, I have never read "USS" used in any primary document of which I am aware. I could be wrong, but I have never seen "USS" used for Bon Homme Richard. Hence, my comment. Believe me, I meant it in kindness, not as a criticism.
This is the way we expand our knowledge.

This is the way we expand our knowledge.

I absolutely agree! I long for the day when we can discuss issues in a civil manner again. That ideal seems to be epitomized here.

Bill
I agree completely - it is every time good to get comments and hints - and also additional information - Our members are great people :cool:

In the area of the midship are two main scuppers in rectangle form shown in the Boudriot drawings

IMG_4230a.jpg

last week, I received some brass profiles so I used the 4mm square profile to imitate the scuppers
brass2.jpg

rectangle profiles are hard to find in the market - so if somebody knows a dealer offering such ones, please post a link here....

67a.jpg

67c.jpg

These profiles are not glued yet, but can be easily removed, I guess this will be necessary during the outside planking works
67e.jpg

67d.jpg

67g.jpg

view from inside - finally the inside end will be flush with the waterway 67h.jpg

The left one was my prototype drilling, which was unfortunately too low, so I damaged partly the planking
67i.jpg

and the same problem after a repair - hope it will be not very much visible after oiling, otherwise I will place there the gunballs or some other "decoration"
67f.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

Uwe,I think finding brass rectangle the right size would be a struggle.The sizes I have a come across in the past are one side is half the other so the proportions would be wrong.
I think the mark on the deck could easily be hidden by a rope coil from the gun tackle;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

In the area of the midship are two main scuppers in rectangle form shown in the Boudriot drawings

View attachment 150500

last week, I received some brass profiles so I used the 4mm square profile to imitate the scuppers
View attachment 150501

rectangle profiles are hard to find in the market - so if somebody knows a dealer offering such ones, please post a link here....

View attachment 150492

View attachment 150493

These profiles are not glued yet, but can be easily removed, I guess this will be necessary during the outside planking works
View attachment 150495

View attachment 150494

View attachment 150497

view from inside - finally the inside end will be flush with the waterway View attachment 150498

The left one was my prototype drilling, which was unfortunately too low, so I damaged partly the planking
View attachment 150499

and the same problem after a repair - hope it will be not very much visible after oiling, otherwise I will place there the gunballs or some other "decoration"
View attachment 150496

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....
Hi Uwe,

Is this what you are looking for? rectangular brass.

Hi Uwe,

Is this what you are looking for? rectangular brass.

Yes - many thanks for the link....
Now they are ratio 1:2 good to have - best for such scupper needs would be a ratio of 1:1,5 or similar.
But I will order some "rechthoukige buis" to have them in stock if needed in the next 20 years......

Back