New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Dear friends and lady
I am a little ashamed to present my meager library (4 books and 3 monographs).
We have a wise proverb that says: "Jealousy of writers/scholars breeds wisdom", so yes, friends, I envy you (in the positive sense)!!:D
So, if any of you will think about a slight reduction of his library and want to Pass on or forward/contribute any book/monograph I would love to get them. Maybe after that I can also attach a picture of a shelf or two :D:cool:

HISTORIC SHIP MODELS by Arnold and Henry Kriegstein​

17th and 18th Century Ship Models -
from the KRIEGSTEIN COLLECTION

by Arnold and Henry Kriegstein

Different cover, but the same book - highly recommended

Different cover, but the same book - highly recommended

The older edition lacks some models that are in the latest edition.
By the way, amazon currently has a significant discount on this new book, if they still have some left in stock. I noticed a "strange" pattern that when I publish a book, it immediately disappears from sale for 2-3 months))))

I got the digital version, but that was a poor version and hard to read. So a paper one from the second hand market. just 20 euro and in perfect condition

View attachment 324316
Very good book
if somebody would like to have a look inside, please take a look at the book review

Seamanship in the Age of Sail:
An Account of the Shiphandling of the Sailing Man-of-War 1600-1860,

By John Harland
Illustrated by Mark Myers

Just read the part about hoisten a boat. There is so much to learn. And so many do it wrong on their model. Know I go read the part about stunning sails, more then 15 pages of info about this subject. More then you can find in other books and the internet together. Yes this is a must read book. @Ab Hoving was right about this one.

The Masting ang Rigging of English Ships of War (1625-1860) by James Lees​

Super as usual
Two of the most important books

The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1625-1860
By James Lees

and

The Construction and Fitting of the Sailing Man-of-War, 1650-1850
other title, but the same book
The Construction and Fitting of the English Man-of-War, 1650-1850
by Peter Goodwin

The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War (1600-1815) by Brian Lavery​

Hallo Olha,
Many Thanks for showing,
One of the most important books to understand "our" ships - and I recommend this and the two before (Lees and Goodwin post #515) as a "MUST HAVE"

Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815
by Brian Lavery

I bought and just recieved the second edition and followed the information Olha alias @shipphotographer.com once gave in my book review

IMG_0656.jpg

Historic Ship Models

of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries in the Kriegstein Collection

the older edition

IMG_47661.jpg

and also this small and nice "dictionary" arrived

IMG_0657.jpg

Eyewitness Visual Dictionary:​

04 - Ships & Sailing​

Synopsis:

This text is part of a series of reference books designed for children aged nine years and upwards. The books contain "exploded view" photographs and 3500 specific words presented in a labelled form, both of which are designed to help expand the child's knowledge and vocabulary. This book looks at ships and sailing while other books in this series look at "Everyday Things", "The Human Body" and "Animals".

Back