New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

wow ! That is a good buy ! The AOS Alert book alone was going for around $200 - $300 USD here on Ebay. It's come down a little since its peak but still mostly well over $100.
Hi there

Yes it's mostly the same here in the UK regards the Alert book.
Usually selling for £120. I set up an Alert (Pardon the pun) on ebay for each time the book was relisted and got very lucky eventually 1 reputable seller had 2 for sale and brung them way down for £7 each to which I snapped 1 up, I could have purchased the 2 and sold for a big profit but decided not to so someone else got the same deal as myself. The lowest I have seen the AOS Alert selling for since is about £50.

Arrived today. A folder with the paperwork that came with the model kit of the legendary Kon-Tiki raft that was released by the Kon-Tiki museum in Oslo in 1954. I have great memories of visiting this museum - and the adjoining Fram Museum, and the Viking Ship Museum - in 1996.
The folder contains a set of plans, several photographs, a booklet with assembly instructions and, sweetest of all, the original cloth sail with the Kon-Tiki symbol. Since the sail is still there the kit is now probably sitting somewhere at the back of a cupboard, untouched and without a manual, so chances are slim its predicament will ever change. The manual is in Dutch, which is remarkable in itself. One wonders in how many different languages it was issued.

More information on this kit and other Kon-Tiki kits can be found here: https://www.kon-tiki.no/research/blog/scale-models-of-the-kon-tiki-raft/

Kon-Tiki_01.jpg

Kon-Tiki_01a.jpg

Kon-Tiki_01b.jpg

Kon-Tiki_03.jpg

Kon-Tiki_04.jpg

Kon-Tiki_05.jpg

Kon-Tiki_06.jpg

Kon-Tiki_08.jpg

Kon-Tiki_09.jpg

Kon-Tiki_10.jpg

Kon-Tiki_02.jpg

Kon-Tiki_02a.jpg

And again a book arrived in the mail. It never fails to make my day. This time it is 'Driemaal is Scheeprecht', which (freely translated) means 'Third Time Lucky'. This book by J.C. Mollema was published by Scheltens & Giltay, probably in the late 1930's. It gives an account of the three voyages of 16th century Dutch explorer Willem Barentsz, whom from the third one did not return. I don't know whether I should feel sad or happy that the previous owner was willing to part with this magnificent document for the sum of only five euros.

scheepsrecht_01.jpg

scheepsrecht_02.jpg

scheepsrecht_03.jpg

scheepsrecht_04.jpg

scheepsrecht_05.jpg

scheepsrecht_06.jpg

scheepsrecht_07.jpg

scheepsrecht_08.jpg

scheepsrecht_09.jpg

scheepsrecht_10.jpg

scheepsrecht_11.jpg

scheepsrecht_12.jpg

I can highly recommend this book to get a real good overview of the Trafalgar ships - from the big First rate up to the small briggs and schooners.
and not only the british, also the french and spanish vessels

Back