New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

I recently added a couple of books from Ancre to my small library. As usual the books were very well packaged and protected, which I really appreciate from book sellers like Ancre.

Uwe @Uwek posted an excellent review of L’Aigle, which prompted me to purchase the monograph of this fine looking vessel. My interest lies in the type of construction details for this vessel so I went with the 1/75 scale plans. It would be great for a future build but at that scale the model would be a space consuming 133cm (4’ 4”) in length. That would mean my wife would have to move into the garage ROTF.

View attachment 394362
great publications you have - for everybody interested, please take a look at the reviews:

MODELES HISTORIQUES au musée de la marine - Volume 2
by Jean Boudriot

now available also in english language

Historic Ship's Models in the Musée de la Marine - TOME 2

AIGLE - L`Aigle
The Imperial yacht of Napoleon III

Arrived today, four books with content strongly related to the sailing ships of the past.

SOSbooks__01.jpg

Mrs. Chippy's Last Expedition: The Remarkable Journal of Shackleton's Polar-Bound Cat, a novel by Caroline Alexander was published by Bloomsbury in 1997. The book provides an account of Shackleton's Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition with HMS Endurance, covering the period 15 January 1914 to 29 October 1915, in the form of a journal written from Mrs. Chippy’s point of view. On the cover: Mrs Chippy, the carpenter's cat, with stowaway Blackbarrow.

SOSbook_02.jpg

Selkirk's Island by Diana Souhami: The True and Strange Adventures of the Real Robinson Crusoe. Alexander Selkirk signed with William Dampier, a pirate who was as famous for his self-promotion as for his naval success, on an ill-fated quest to pillage the famous Manila galleon. After a series of scuffles with the captain, Selkirk was put ashore on an island three hundred miles west of South America.

SOSbook_03.jpg

Arctische walvisvangst in de achttiende eeuw (Arctic Whaling in the 18th Century), by Jurjen R. Leinenga .
A Dutch book about the importance of Davis Strait as a hunting ground. (Funnily the Dutch title actually uses the word 'catching' instead of 'hunting')

SOSbooks__09.jpg

The three Voyages of Edmund Halley in the Paramore 1698-1701 (Hakluyt Society second series 156-157).
Edmond Halley was already a well-known astronomer, mathematician and natural philosopher when, in 1698, he took command of His Majesty's Ship Paramore. The purpose of Halley's first two voyages was to test his geomagnetical theories; in the third voyage he investigated tidal phenomena. These sea journeys are regarded as the first undertaken for purely scientific purposes. The second volume consists of three 69x53 cm map sheets.

SOSbook_05.jpgSOSbook_06.jpgSOSbook_07.jpg

Last edited:
Today received

IMG_3642.jpg IMG_3643.jpg

Frigate Commander​

by Tom Wareham (Author)

Frigate Commander is based on the private journal of Lieutenant - and then Captain - Graham Moore, a naval officer serving during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. Moores journal gives a unique and detailed account of what life was like for a serving naval officer. In particular it reveals the problems an officer had in managing the crew of a frigate, maintaining discipline and turning his ship into an efficient man of war. Moore was one of the navys star captain, serving continuously as a frigate commander between 1793 and 1804. His early career took him to Newfoundland, and then, as a captain, he served with Sir William Sidney Smiths squadron operating on the north coast of France. He was present during the Naval Mutiny at Spithead in 1797, and helped to destroy the French fleet off Ireland in 1798. His most famous action occurred in September 1804, when his squadron engaged and captured a Spanish frigate squadron carrying a fortune in treasure. The following year his frigate, HMS Indefatigable, was involved in the opening of the Trafalgar campaign.

Now my Model Shipwright / Shipwright series is complete

Today I received the annual Shipwright from 2013, which was the last which was published

IMG_3645.jpg IMG_3646.jpg

I am very happy to see also an article about the shipmodel Collection of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam with an Interview with our friend and member @Ab Hoving

IMG_3647.jpg

Several friends of us will meet in short time in the Amsterdam museum for the exhibition on next weekend - Hope to see afterwards a lot of photos

Today received

View attachment 396513 View attachment 396514

Frigate Commander​

by Tom Wareham (Author)

Frigate Commander is based on the private journal of Lieutenant - and then Captain - Graham Moore, a naval officer serving during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. Moores journal gives a unique and detailed account of what life was like for a serving naval officer. In particular it reveals the problems an officer had in managing the crew of a frigate, maintaining discipline and turning his ship into an efficient man of war. Moore was one of the navys star captain, serving continuously as a frigate commander between 1793 and 1804. His early career took him to Newfoundland, and then, as a captain, he served with Sir William Sidney Smiths squadron operating on the north coast of France. He was present during the Naval Mutiny at Spithead in 1797, and helped to destroy the French fleet off Ireland in 1798. His most famous action occurred in September 1804, when his squadron engaged and captured a Spanish frigate squadron carrying a fortune in treasure. The following year his frigate, HMS Indefatigable, was involved in the opening of the Trafalgar campaign.
Thanks for posting this. I just ordered the Kindle version for my iPad plus the Supplement to this book. It all looks very interesting.

Arrived in today's mail. Fridtiof Nansen 1861-1893. The first English edition published in 1896 by Longmans. Green and Co. According to many Nansen is the greatest polar explorer ever. Apart from that he also was a great humanitarian. His ship Fram, which was later deployed by Amundsen on his South Pole conquest, is arguably the most illustrious polar vessel ever. I do not know why I am writing this because it is very likely most visitors of SOS will already know.

It's a shame there is no wooden model kit of this ship (that I know of) on the market. If there were, it would be my next build.

SOSnansen_01.jpg

SOSnansen_02.jpg

SOSnansen_03.jpg

SOSnansen_04.jpg

SOSnansen_05.jpg

SOSnansen_06.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Rob T.

Which ones did yoou preferred among these nices collections ?
Hi Fish&Chips (Pardon me as I Don't know your name.
I actually wouldn't say I have a preferable one as I like them all each for their own attributes.
Bargain wise i think my best buys were AOS Alert and the 2 Different Historic Ship models books these 3 books combined cost me £21 including postage.
If you were asking me regards to yourself maybe wanting to purchase one or more then I think I would recommend any of them, depending of course on your reason for buying one.

Hi Fish&Chips (Pardon me as I Don't know your name.
I actually wouldn't say I have a preferable one as I like them all each for their own attributes.
Bargain wise i think my best buys were AOS Alert and the 2 Different Historic Ship models books these 3 books combined cost me £21 including postage.
If you were asking me regards to yourself maybe wanting to purchase one or more then I think I would recommend any of them, depending of course on your reason for buying one.
wow ! That is a good buy ! The AOS Alert book alone was going for around $200 - $300 USD here on Ebay. It's come down a little since its peak but still mostly well over $100.

Back