New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

337C5C86-6082-453E-996A-036F38A0C1F2.jpeg
My absolute favorite rigging illustration anywhere....bar none!

A great set and add to your library
For everybody interested in this planset:

I got another book describing milling in german language

Drehen und Fräsen im Modellbau -
Materialkunde, Maschineneinsatz, Arbeitstechnik

by Tilman Wallroth (Author)
(Fachbuch-Reihe) - Dezember 2004
528 pages

IMG-4095.jpg

Anhand unzähliger Fotos und Zeichnungen wird Schritt für Schritt gezeigt, wie Metalle, Kunststoff und Holz spanabhebend bearbeitet werden. Ein umfangreicher Tabellenteil, ein Bezugsquellenverzeichnis und ein Sachwortregister vervollständigen dieses Werk der Dreh- und Frästechnik.

Here the Content list in detail

IMG-4096.jpg IMG-4097.jpg

IMG-4098.jpg IMG-4099.jpg

Just got this amazing book. It is full of drawings, diagrams, history, and color plates... all hardbound with a sleeve... smells like it came from a museum.

Best of all, I got it for only $17 USD... if you can believe that!!! Will be a great help to my prototype research for decorations. Thanks @DonRobinson

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Just got this amazing book. It is full of drawings, diagrams, history, and color plates... all hardbound with a sleeve... smells like it came from a museum.

Best of all, I got it for only $17 USD... if you can believe that!!! Will be a great help to my prototype research for decorations. Thanks @DonRobinson

View attachment 172930

View attachment 172931
You are a lucky guy - first to get one good copy and second for this very low price.
For everybody interested, please take a look at our book review:

also a very good planset and monograph - and a very good overview in your video GREAT -> maybe you could add your video in the planset review here in SOS? This wood be very good

Dutch East India Company Shipbuilding

I have recently bought this as Kindle book.

5A468335-A663-42E8-8673-E52ED6A41A4B.jpeg

The book is based on research conducted in Australia an the Netherland from 2002 to 2008. It is clearly written by a archeologist. While reading it I ( a Dutch Mechanical Engineer) had consult Google/Wikipedia regulary to look for clarifying drawing and photo’s. Still this a very good/useful book. Excellent to read it in conjunction with the book Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding by A.J. Hoving discussed elsewhere in this forum

Last edited:
Just received a new beautiful book, for which I was searching longer - in the meantime rare and unfortunately expensive copy

View attachment 122748

Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age
(Ed Rachal Foundation Nautical Archaeology Series)
by A. J. Hoving (Author)

Synopsis:
In 1671, Dutch diplomat and scientist Nicolaes Witsen published a book that served, among other things, as an encyclopedia for the “shell-first” method of ship construction. In the centuries since, Witsen’s rather convoluted text has also become a valuable source for insights into historical shipbuilding methods and philosophies during the “Golden Age” of Dutch maritime trade. However, as André Wegener Sleeswyk’s foreword notes, Witsen’s work is difficult to access not only for its seventeenth-century Dutch language but also for the vagaries of its author’s presentation.

Fortunately for scholars and students of nautical archaeology and shipbuilding, this important but chaotic work has now been reorganized and elucidated by A. J. Hoving and translated into English by Alan Lemmers. In Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age, Hoving, master model builder for the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, sorts out the steps in Witsen’s method for building a seventeenth-century pinas by following them and building a model of the vessel. Experimenting with techniques and materials, conducting research in other publications of the time, and rewriting as needed to clarify and correct some vital omissions in the sequence, Hoving makes Witsen’s work easier to use and understand.

Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age is an indispensable guide to Witsen’s work and the world of his topic: the almost forgotten basics of a craftsmanship that has been credited with the flourishing of the Dutch Republic in the seventeenth century.

To view a sample of Ab Hoving’s ship model drawings, please visit: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/AbHoving.htm
  • Gebundene Ausgabe: 310 Seiten
  • Verlag: Texas A&M University Press; Auflage: New (15. April 2012)
  • Sprache: Englisch
  • ISBN-10: 1603442863
  • ISBN-13: 978-1603442862
  • Größe und/oder Gewicht: 21,8 x 2,5 x 28,2 cm
A detailed book review will come sooner or later ......
Indeed a very good book. And now available as more affordable Kindle edition

I finally received the second Volume with title

History of English Sea Ordnance: The Age of the System, 1715-1815 v. 2 (Englisch)
by Adrian B. Caruana (Author)
published by Jean Boudriot Publications (1. September 1997)

IMG-4271.jpg

IMG-4272.jpg

I am happy that I closed now one gap in my library.....

I finally received the second Volume with title

History of English Sea Ordnance: The Age of the System, 1715-1815 v. 2 (Englisch)
by Adrian B. Caruana (Author)
published by Jean Boudriot Publications (1. September 1997)

View attachment 177049

View attachment 177050

I am happy that I closed now one gap in my library.....

Congratz Uwek, this sounds to be an exhaustive printing on English ordnance, and I have both volumes in my watching list. These are not cheap books, may I know how much did you pay for them?

Congratz Uwek, this sounds to be an exhaustive printing on English ordnance, and I have both volumes in my watching list. These are not cheap books, may I know how much did you pay for them?
Yes, you are right - these two books are very rare offered, and therefore expensive. Maybe once they will be re-edited by ancre, the successor of Jean Boudriot Publications.
I paid for the Volume 1 around 130 Euros from UK, and the more expensive Volume 2 around 245 Euros from USA - Usually the Volume 2 is close to 300 Euro.
Both were offered on amazon, and after several months waiting for a cheaper offer (which did not come, I ordered)
It is a small investment....... :rolleyes: Good, that my admiral is accepting such things...... until now ....... she is buying shoes - I am buying books and tools :cool:

Back