New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

This is probably the most referred to book in my schooner collection as I was looking closely at the fittings shown in the last half to better understand their part in my schooner build of Bluenose. It was probably my best purchase for actual building as the other Bluenose books are more about the use of the BN. Well recommended for those who may want to scratch build a schooner within the time span. Rich (PT-2)
I should have also mentioned that the well documented text is well coordinated with the buttocks draughts, although sometimes on a different but close page. There is a wealth of information on the evolution of the schooners in the front half of the book. Chapelle also explains in the early chapter how the hulls were envisioned and presented to the shipyards for construction from various types of half-hull models and only at the very ending decades from drawings and calculations. Rich

I should have also mentioned that the well documented text is well coordinated with the buttocks draughts, although sometimes on a different but close page. There is a wealth of information on the evolution of the schooners in the front half of the book. Chapelle also explains in the early chapter how the hulls were envisioned and presented to the shipyards for construction from various types of half-hull models and only at the very ending decades from drawings and calculations. Rich
Possibly postged before but I just pulled this out from beneath stacks of magazines is the comprehensive, almost encyclopedic single book that I have with a broad range of topics all related to seamanship and handling which includes all aspects of rigging for square riggers:
Seamanship in the Age of Sail:Seamanship in the Age of Sail.jpg
I'll post the two pages of contents and then type out the chapter titles:
Seamanship AOS  Contents.jpg
Now turning that page to:
Seamanship AOS Contents B.jpg
There is more material here that is well illustrated by drawings, old photos, paintings and diagrams than I can pack into my head and only remember a very few.
By Chapter and Title we have:
Acknowledgements
Introduction
1. Some Words and Phrases used in Shiphandling Under Sail
2. Masts, Rigging and Sails
3. Development of the Sail Plan 1580-1900
4. Some Theoretical Principles underlying Shiphandling
5. Sails Considered Individually]
6. Organization of Crew for Handling the Ship
7. Bending, Loosning and Furling Sail
8. Making and Shortening Sail at Sea
9. Reefing
10. Studding Sails
11. Steering
12. Tacking, Wearing and Boxhauling
13. Working Ship in a Tideway
14. Towing and Warping
15. Storm
16. Squalls
17. Heaving To
18. The Ship at Anchor
19. Shifting Heavy Weights
20. Lowering and Hoisting in Boats
21. Man Overboard
22. Accidents
Bibliography
Index

If you have questions I think that most of the answers are between the 320 pages of this 10"x12" x 3/4" hardbound book. Highly recommended for all who want to know more about that time and methods required to handle the ships. Rich (PT-2)

Possibly postged before but I just pulled this out from beneath stacks of magazines is the comprehensive, almost encyclopedic single book that I have with a broad range of topics all related to seamanship and handling which includes all aspects of rigging for square riggers:
Seamanship in the Age of Sail:View attachment 246200
yes great book. Ab Hoving mentioned it in the thread of Matt's Pinnace Papegojan. I found a lot of answers in this book

Seamanship in the Age of Sail:View attachment 246200
I'll post the two pages of contents and then type out the chapter titles:
View attachment 246201
Now turning that page to:
View attachment 246202
There is more material here that is well illustrated by drawings, old photos, paintings and diagrams than I can pack into my head and only remember a very few.
By Chapter and Title we have:
Acknowledgements
Introduction
1. Some Words and Phrases used in Shiphandling Under Sail
2. Masts, Rigging and Sails
3. Development of the Sail Plan 1580-1900
4. Some Theoretical Principles underlying Shiphandling
5. Sails Considered Individually]
6. Organization of Crew for Handling the Ship
7. Bending, Loosning and Furling Sail
8. Making and Shortening Sail at Sea
9. Reefing
10. Studding Sails
11. Steering
12. Tacking, Wearing and Boxhauling
13. Working Ship in a Tideway
14. Towing and Warping
15. Storm
16. Squalls
17. Heaving To
18. The Ship at Anchor
19. Shifting Heavy Weights
20. Lowering and Hoisting in Boats
21. Man Overboard
22. Accidents
Bibliography
Index

If you have questions I think that most of the answers are between the 320 pages of this 10"x12" x 3/4" hardbound book. Highly recommended for all who want to know more about that time and methods required to handle the ships. Rich (PT-2)
Yes, it is a very interesting and valuable book!!!

IMG_21851.jpg

For everybody interested in this book, please take a look at the book review here in SOS:

Another Superb book with a wealth of information on this Stunning Period Warship from its History to its construction through its highly detailed technical drawings and plans in 298 pages.

100% recommended ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓20210806_183926.jpg

For those of us who like history and development, a very fast search shows a number of these books in used condition for very low prices. Much less than I anticipated causing me to hold off until now. Thanks for posting and showing the contents. Rich (PT-2)
I received my used copy of Search for Speed and in beginning the read find it very similar to his American Fishing Schooners book in a lot of detailed substantiation defining what speed is, the sources related to the oldest ships, etc. . . which are a bit tedious but he begins to include detailed drawings of the ships lines fairly early. The fold-out large drawings are an impressive part of this book which primarily presents larger ships and not smaller ones for which there are few if any sources. It will keep me reading for many nights to come. Rich (PT-2)

Another Superb book with a wealth of information on this Stunning Period Warship from its History to its construction through its highly detailed technical drawings and plans in 298 pages.

100% recommended ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓
If you are interested to see a book review of the book Sovereign of the Seas by John McKay please take a look here:

btw also interesting is SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS - Die Skulpturen des britischen Königsschiffes von 1637 by Hendrik Busmann

I received my used copy of Search for Speed and in beginning the read find it very similar to his American Fishing Schooners book in a lot of detailed substantiation defining what speed is, the sources related to the oldest ships, etc. . . which are a bit tedious but he begins to include detailed drawings of the ships lines fairly early. The fold-out large drawings are an impressive part of this book which primarily presents larger ships and not smaller ones for which there are few if any sources. It will keep me reading for many nights to come. Rich (PT-2)
Chapelle in his early pages of The Search for Speed Under Sail, has a brief examination of the roles of hull form and sails in the points of sailing on different headings, pp 23 - 30, and the "calculations" related to projecting the driving forces of wind and sail shape in a non-mathematical manner, related to his date of writing, leaving more precise analysis and non-determinism in the air. A later book that does delve very well into such matters that may be of interest to engineering and mathematical types is the book Sailing Theory and Practice, C.A. Marchaj, 1962, which has not only formulas, graphs, and illustrations that well present what Chapelle does not:
Chapters are:
Yachts and Rating Formulas
Aerodynamics of the Sail
The Motion of a Yacht
Wind and Water
and six Appendices

A very technical book that brings many factors forth for those who want to know more about sailing and what is related to speed under sail.
Sailihng Theory and Practice.jpg
He does touch upon hydrofoils up to 1960 but that entire manner of super foiling since then leaves his date of writing in the wake. The two books together make a good companion set the first historical and the latter technical.
Rich (PT-2)

I found this book on my bookshelf, Ab mentioned Kamer and I thought I got a book of him, it was a gift. :D

So maybe one of you ever was reading it. I didn't. Maybe I will.
It's called in English:

Ships on Scale :cool:
Nautical History and model building
H.N. Kamer

IMG_1948.JPG

I found this book on my bookshelf, Ab mentioned Kamer and I thought I got a book of him, it was a gift. :D

It's called in English:

H.N. Kamer

View attachment 248884
I don't read that language but would guess the title may be Ships of Sail??? RIch

It's called in English:

H.N. Kamer

View attachment 248884
The title and the book is looking interesting.....
Would it be possible to show us some typical pages inside, so to get a Look Inside?

Would it be possible to show us some typical pages inside, so to get a Look Inside?
No problem. :)
The book shows the build of a few ships and the transferring of perspective paintings to a 3D model.
The first impression taking these pictures make me to read the book.
Here are some pictures.

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1951.JPGIMG_1952.JPGIMG_1954.JPGIMG_1955.JPGIMG_1956.JPGIMG_1957.JPGIMG_1958.JPGIMG_1959.JPG

ISBN 90 6707 470 5

Maybe there is a English version? I will search for it.

The book shows the build of a few ships and the transferring of perspective paintings to a 3D model.
Here are some pictures.

View attachment 248997

View attachment 248989View attachment 248990View attachment 248991View attachment 248992View attachment 248993View attachment 248994View attachment 248995View attachment 248996

ISBN 90 6707 470 5

It looks like there is a lot of useful information, even if only graphic. Rich (PT-2)

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 248997

View attachment 248989View attachment 248990View attachment 248991View attachment 248992View attachment 248993View attachment 248994View attachment 248995View attachment 248996

ISBN 90 6707 470 5

Many Thanks for the Look Inside.
It is looking like an interesting book.

Back