New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Chapelle in his early pages of The Search for Speed Under Sail, has a brief examination of the roles of hull form and sails in the points of sailing on different headings, pp 23 - 30, and the "calculations" related to projecting the driving forces of wind and sail shape in a non-mathematical manner, related to his date of writing, leaving more precise analysis and non-determinism in the air. A later book that does delve very well into such matters that may be of interest to engineering and mathematical types is the book Sailing Theory and Practice, C.A. Marchaj, 1962, which has not only formulas, graphs, and illustrations that well present what Chapelle does not:
Chapters are:
Yachts and Rating Formulas
Aerodynamics of the Sail
The Motion of a Yacht
Wind and Water
and six Appendices

A very technical book that brings many factors forth for those who want to know more about sailing and what is related to speed under sail.
View attachment 248707
He does touch upon hydrofoils up to 1960 but that entire manner of super foiling since then leaves his date of writing in the wake. The two books together make a good companion set the first historical and the latter technical.
Rich (PT-2)
While continuing to read Chapelle's Search for Speed , beyond what I mentioned in the earlier pages, he goes into a lot of detail as to how captured foreign ships to England, were surveyed and points for the buttocks curves taken off and drawn as well as factors in hull lines related to hydrology as understood at the time and those effects upon speed.
I have hard time keeping all of the terminology in mind for a clear understanding of his grammatically technical explanations. It is the stuff of those truly wanting to know of the technicalities of the era and are not directly related to our model building other than for background understanding. Those fine points generally could not show up in our models unless the hull forms in a larger manner and scale can let those stand out when looked for.
This is a slow read if it is taken page by page as he builds his evolution of ships and speed which itself cannot be comparatively related ship to ship over the years. The illustrations both single page and fold out are worth the price though. Rich (PT-2)

If you are interested we have also a book review of Wooden Warship Construction: A History in Ship Models by Brian Lavery here in SOS:

That is a impressive collection of excellent photos of the models providing a lot of details to be examined over and over. Nicely presented as you typically do. RIch (PT-2)
Another older book by Howard Chapelle from 1951 is his American Small Sailing Craft in which he discusses and shows small working sailing craft along with drawings and some lines and rigs where available. The chapters in sequence are: Colonial and Early American, The Scow and Bateau, The Shallops, The Skiff and Yawl-Boat, Sloops and Catboats, Foreigners and a Native, The Newcomer, the V-Bottom, On Buillding Boats, and an Appendix.
Here is the coverAmerican Small Sailing Craft Book Cover.jpg
You get an impression of the small craft covered. There are few photos, some models, but mostly drawn illustrations such as:
ASSC Illustrations.jpg
Even the larger drawings are too small to be able to read the tables or transfer the lines if a model is wanted to be built. Interesting in the venue of a local, almost backyard approach to what was needed very locally for business purposes. Rich (PT-2)

Many Thanks for showing us this book
This small book is really highly recommended - very fast and intense information

The Sailing Frigate: A History in Ship Models
by Robert GARDINER
Illustrated from the Collections of the National Maritime Museum

Wooden Warship Construction looks like it may contain a lot of very valuable information inside the dust cover. Let us know what you find and how it relates to our models. RIch
WE have here in shipsofscale forum book reviews of both publications.
If you like a to take a look:

Dutch Warships in the Age of Sail 1600 - 1714
Designs, Construction, Careers & Fates

by James Bender
Introduction by J.D. Davies

“Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks” by J. Richard Steffy.

507FA8B1-EEE4-4672-9E4A-11D693E8F53A.jpeg

I have had this book on my bookshelf for a year or so. I find it a fascinating and extremely informative read. The book is well written and I find as an “untrained reader” it is relatively easy to follow. The research and educational aspects of Steffy’s book will possibly appeal to a wide audience, in particular those of you who like to dig into the architectural aspects of a ship and her construction.

I have taken a few photos of the book. It comprises 314 pages and is broken into three main parts. At the rear of the book is an excellent Illustrated Glossary of Ship and Boat Terms. The definitions of terms used in the text of the book, accompanied by referenced illustrations is very useful. The glossary is “limited to construction terminology”, so a reader looking for general shiphandling and general nautical terms will still need a good nautical dictionary. There are also many references to common rigs.

The fly leaf tells us there are three parts:

Part 1 is the discipline and provides “enough basic information to permit the untrained reader to understand the analysis of ship and boat construction that follows”. I particularly enjoyed this section. The basics of ship stability was, for me, an ideal recap of my past studies and practical uses. This section then continues with design fundamentals and hull lines, again very useful sections.

Part 2 is a brief history of shipbuilding technology. As can be seen from the contents page copied below it covers a number of topics starting with the ancient world. Specific vessels are referenced in this first topic from the Royal Ship of Cheops, to the Dashur boats and also includes, but is not limited to, the Kyrenia Ship. Part 2 continues through medieval times and then to the age of global seafaring.

Part 3 is more specific to the archaeological aspects of shipwrecks. It includes recording of hull remains and archival information, and converting data into plans and publications.

At the rear of the book is the glossary I mentioned previously. The book ends with a bibliography and the usual index.

I had to search widely for this book and found a few copies for sale but at inflated prices. I therefore contacted the Texas A & M Press directly. They were more than helpful and responded to my questions and purchase promptly. If you are interested they can be contacted through www.tamupress.com (I am not affiliated in any way).

BC7329FA-9BF7-4C86-9279-EAD87B0EE43B.jpegE90ECB8B-4390-4448-8E3E-7596BADEA8EA.jpeg870727DD-AE26-4AF7-A40E-AEDDCDAA4FD7.jpeg

Some sample pages using the Kyrenia as an example:

3BE565F0-4B69-4AA1-8BFA-A75D9F029C2A.jpeg76C00183-04F6-4362-A911-88D9F3A5E11E.jpeg0D16DE4A-649A-488A-B3B6-64A95EB311ED.jpeg314FC378-EFA3-4C67-B5A5-3675033FBE39.jpeg

“Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks” by J. Richard Steffy.

View attachment 254477

I have had this book on my bookshelf for a year or so. I find it a fascinating and extremely informative read. The book is well written and I find as an “untrained reader” it is relatively easy to follow. The research and educational aspects of Steffy’s book will possibly appeal to a wide audience, in particular those of you who like to dig into the architectural aspects of a ship and her construction.

I have taken a few photos of the book. It comprises 314 pages and is broken into three main parts. At the rear of the book is an excellent Illustrated Glossary of Ship and Boat Terms. The definitions of terms used in the text of the book, accompanied by referenced illustrations is very useful. The glossary is “limited to construction terminology”, so a reader looking for general shiphandling and general nautical terms will still need a good nautical dictionary. There are also many references to common rigs.

The fly leaf tells us there are three parts:

Part 1 is the discipline and provides “enough basic information to permit the untrained reader to understand the analysis of ship and boat construction that follows”. I particularly enjoyed this section. The basics of ship stability was, for me, an ideal recap of my past studies and practical uses. This section then continues with design fundamentals and hull lines, again very useful sections.

Part 2 is a brief history of shipbuilding technology. As can be seen from the contents page copied below it covers a number of topics starting with the ancient world. Specific vessels are referenced in this first topic from the Royal Ship of Cheops, to the Dashur boats and also includes, but is not limited to, the Kyrenia Ship. Part 2 continues through medieval times and then to the age of global seafaring.

Part 3 is more specific to the archaeological aspects of shipwrecks. It includes recording of hull remains and archival information, and converting data into plans and publications.

At the rear of the book is the glossary I mentioned previously. The book ends with a bibliography and the usual index.

I had to search widely for this book and found a few copies for sale but at inflated prices. I therefore contacted the Texas A & M Press directly. They were more than helpful and responded to my questions and purchase promptly. If you are interested they can be contacted through www.tamupress.com (I am not affiliated in any way).

View attachment 254470View attachment 254471View attachment 254472

Some sample pages using the Kyrenia as an example:

View attachment 254473View attachment 254474View attachment 254475View attachment 254476
Thanks for your well detailed review which is very informative. Rich (PT-2)

"In Tekening gebracht"

De achttiende-eeuwse scheepsbouwers en hun ontwerpmethoden

(The eighteenth-century shipbuilders and their design methods)

by our member @Ab Hoving and Lemmers is a very good and informative publication, which I have also in my library.
Unfortunately not available in english translation - but maybe once ......

"In Tekening gebracht"

De achttiende-eeuwse scheepsbouwers en hun ontwerpmethoden

(The eighteenth-century shipbuilders and their design methods)

by our member @Ab Hoving and Lemmers is a very good and informative publication, which I have also in my library.
Unfortunately not available in english translation - but maybe once ......
Collecting books to read and look through is addictive for many in our hobby it seems. . . myself included. I am wondering where they will all go when I have gone over the horizon. Hopefully to another needy boat hobbyist and not a shreader/recycler. Rich (PT-2)

This book was in fact the re-uniting of an 18th century text written by a Rotterdam shipbuilder, Pieter van Zwyndregt Pauluszoon, in the collection the library of Het Scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam and the accompanying draughts discussed in his text, which I found in the collection of the Rotterdam Maritime Museum. I immediately saw the value of the combination and decided to publish. The matter was so complex however, that an elucidation seemed necessary. I wrote the technical part, describing the various design methods by several master shipbuilders, while historian Alan Lemmers phd described the historical context. The book was published in 2000.
By way of coincidence I found this thread. The book is dealing with the introduction of ship's draughts in the 18th century in Holland. I never undertook any action to have it published abroad because it is mainly concentrated on the Dutch situation.
Years ago a South-African friend, Frits Kummer, voluntarily translated the text into English. He unfortunately died shortly before he finished the translation. Last year I finished the job, but only my and Alan Lemmer's text. The manuscript itself is dealt with in my text.
Though the translation is finished, there are a lot of technical terminology (center of buoyancy and such terms) that need to be checked. If any of the re aders thinks he is capable of performing that job, I will be glad to send him the pdf with the text and the illustrations, after which the book can be made online available.
Anyone?
Ab

Though the translation is finished, there are a lot of technical terminology (center of buoyancy and such terms) that need to be checked. If any of the re aders thinks he is capable of performing that job, I will be glad to send him the pdf with the text and the illustrations, after which the book can be made online available.
Anyone?

Ab
Wow - this would be great and I am sure of big interest, due to the fact that the dutch shipbuilding is getting more and more public attention Thumbsup
So? Where are the durch speaking friends? @Maarten maybe you know somebody? ;)

No Uwek, what we need is a native speaking English technician (or indeed a Dutch one who has knowledge of the English terminology). It's not much work, only in the end there is a addition of a small group of maritime engineers, calculating various products of Dutch shipbuilding. Their terminology is beyond my limited qualities.
The main part of the book is correctly translated (for as far as I can judge), the problem lies in the technical part at the end.

Back