New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Maybe post here a few terms and words that need to be translated and see what comes out. Just an idea. They don't need to translate to English but a proper translation to another language could help.

@Ab Hoving Is this what you mean by translation?

"Natoppervlak van de romp" is the same as "algehele hydrodynamische weerstand van het schip" in English it's called "wetted area of the hull"

I got 2 other translations found. Sorry guys it is in Dutch.

"lengte op de geladen lastlijn" is het zelfde als de "lengte op de geladen waterlijn" in Engels "length on load waterline"

"breedte binnenkant huid" is hetzelfde als de "breedte op de mal" in het Engels "moulded breadth"
Dit moet uitleg. Deze breedte word bij schepen met een metalen huid op de buitenkant van de spanten gemeten en
bij andere materialen aan de buitenkant van de huid. bij een houten schip dus de breedte op de spanten plus
de dikte van de huidplanken erbij geteld (2x)

Now I must stop searching, have a BBQ :)

I wil send you the rest in een PM Ab

I got a doubt in the Dutch to English translation of a "VOC Retourschip". The book, Wendy van Duivenvoorde, Dutch East India Company Shipbuilding, calls these ships in English: VOC Return-voyage ship. Is that correct?

I got a doubt in the Dutch to English translation of a "VOC Retourschip". The book, Wendy van Duivenvoorde, Dutch East India Company Shipbuilding, calls these ships in English: VOC Return-voyage ship. Is that correct?
If it is correct, to my mind it would see to imply that there was one ship going out and another to return. Maybe for a faster turn-around while the first ship that arrived was to undergo refitting before becoming another "return voyage ship" I have not actual basis for this other than my mental games. Otherwise I would be interested in the term Return-voyage ship. Rich (PT-2)

The term ‘retourschip’ indicates a type of vessel used by the Eastindian Company to sail to and from Indonesia, the Dutch ‘colony’ in those days. This in contradiction to other types, like fluits, galliots and even cats, which only did it one way and were used for trading in Asian waters. After they were worn out they were simply scrapped.

A Fluit and Retourschip are topical Dutch shipnames. In English a Fluit is called Fluit, not Whistle. Why translate the name Retourschip to Return ship or return-voyage sship.Why not called it in English just Retourship.
Big question to think about. My feeling says keep the name retour.

Not all words have to be translated, especially the names. They might have a meaning but this is the name I would do retourship (Dutch)

Just arrived

Ashley Knoats.jpg

Ashley, C: Ashley Book of Knots​

by Clifford W. Ashley

620 pages with 3.800 knots and 7.000 sketches

First published in 1944, and reprinted many times since then, the latest reissue of this magnificent book contains, for the first time, fully illustrated details of all minor amendments and corrections that have come to light over the years. These have been collected and collated by Geoffrey Budworth with the help of other members of the International Guild of Knot Tyers.

Back