New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Not at all new to my bookshelf, but since I'm new to the site I'm calling it good, is Ewart Freeston's Prisoner of War Ship models.
IMG_1392.JPG
The work i have seen on this site is mind-boggling, but when you contemplate what sailors were able to accomplish under the most horrific conditions with extremely limited supplies and no kits or plans, it's almost beyond comprehension. Not much of a how-to with this book, but if you want inspiration, look no further.

Ship Decoration (1630-1780) by Andrew Peters​

Many Thnaks for showing us your video - here we have the book review

Just received my copy of

Anson's Navy​

Building a Fleet for Empire 1744–1763
By Brian Lavery

IMG-8091.jpg

IMG-8092.jpg

Despite a supreme belief in itself, the Royal Navy of the early eighteenth century was becoming over-confident and outdated, and it had more than its share of disasters and miscarriages including the devastating sickness in Admiral Hosier’s fleet in 1727; failure at Cartagena, and an embarrassing action off Toulon in 1744. Anson’s great circumnavigation, though presented as a triumph, was achieved at huge cost in ships and lives. And in 1756 Admiral Byng was shot after failure off Minorca.

In this new book, the bestselling author Brian Lavery shows how, through reforms and the determined focus of a number of personalities, that navy was transformed in the middle years of the eighteenth century. The tide had already begun to turn with victories off Cape Finisterre in 1747, and in 1759 the navy played a vital part in the ‘year of victories’ with triumphs at Lagos and Quiberon Bay; and it conducted amphibious operations as far afield as Cuba and the Philippines, and took Quebec. The author explains how it was fundamentally transformed from the amateurish, corrupt and complacent force of the previous decades. He describes how it acquired uniforms and a definite rank structure for officers; and developed new ship types such as the 74 and the frigate. It instigated a more efficient (if equally brutal) method of recruiting seamen, and boosted morale and motivation and a far more aggressive style of fighting. The coppering of ships’ hulls and the solving of the problems associated with longitude and scurvy, were also hugely significant steps.

Much of this transformation was due to the forceful if enigmatic personality of George, Lord Anson. In a largely static society, he changed the navy so that it was fit for purpose, and in readiness for Nelson just decades later. Using a mass of archival evidence and a mix of official reports and personal reminiscences, this book offers a fascinating and engrossing analysis of all these far-reaching reforms, which in turn led to the radical transformation of Britain’s navy into a truly global force. The consequential effect on the world’s history would be huge.

A Book Review will follow .....

Although I haven't started a New build yet after the Completion of my Royal Louis.
I have been reading and adding to my Refference research Books.
These are the latest books I have obtained for my Library.
20211205_095907.jpg

Although I haven't started a New build yet after the Completion of my Royal Louis.
I have been reading and adding to my Refference research Books.
These are the latest books I have obtained for my Library.
View attachment 273279
Very good books, which are extremely helpful to understand the construction of english ships. Are you maybe plan to build a Bellona?

Very good books, which are extremely helpful to understand the construction of english ships. Are you maybe plan to build a Bellona?

Hi Uwek

Yes I would love to build the Hms Bellona at some point as I was looking obviously at Corel's kit as well as the Neptune.
This obviously encouraged me to purchase the Anatomy Book.

However I will be starting a New build soon so all will be revealed within the next 2 weeks if not sooner.

Hi Uwek

Yes I would love to build the Hms Bellona at some point as I was looking obviously at Corel's kit as well as the Neptune.
This obviously encouraged me to purchase the Anatomy Book.

However I will be starting a New build soon so all will be revealed within the next 2 weeks if not sooner.
I do not know the Bellona kit from Corel, but one member has just not so positive experiences

I do not know the Bellona kit from Corel, but one member has just not so positive experiences
That's not so good Uwek, although I had heard conflicting reports on Corel kits, some Good, some not so good.

I am actually suprised at Cornwall Model boats, as I live in the UK, I have dealt with them numerous times and apart from the odd missing bit from an order which they replaced straight away, I have never had any problems with them at all.
That said, my orders have mainly been Boat fittings like rigging thread, blocks and deadeyes.
I have only bought one kit from them by OCCRE which I have yet to start, but those parts all seem to be there.
I hope i am wrong, but as the person is in NZ, maybe the Corel contact was to save returning or shipping another kit out depending on how many parts were missing, that said that shouldn't be the case anyway, maybe the buyer should just return the kit depending again if he gets refunded for the postage being such a distance away ?

Hi Uwek,
One thing I forgot to mention as well about OCCRE, the kit i bought from Cornwall model boats, was produced between a certain time period where Occre had changed some of the fittings from wood to plastic, but then changed bk again to wood due to customer feedback, my kit had such plastic fittings, I contacted OCCRE, and they were only too happy to send me out replacement wooden parts free of charge without returning the plastic one, so I can definitely say their customer service is second to none, no queries or reluctance to help, they were only too happy to help, they even do personalised nameplates free for their kits if you contact them.

That's not so good Uwek, although I had heard conflicting reports on Corel kits, some Good, some not so good.

I am actually suprised at Cornwall Model boats, as I live in the UK, I have dealt with them numerous times and apart from the odd missing bit from an order which they replaced straight away, I have never had any problems with them at all.
That said, my orders have mainly been Boat fittings like rigging thread, blocks and deadeyes.
I have only bought one kit from them by OCCRE which I have yet to start, but those parts all seem to be there.
I hope i am wrong, but as the person is in NZ, maybe the Corel contact was to save returning or shipping another kit out depending on how many parts were missing, that said that shouldn't be the case anyway, maybe the buyer should just return the kit depending again if he gets refunded for the postage being such a distance away ?
That's right Rob, I've also dealt with Cornwall Models before and I've had nothing but good to say of them. In passing me on to Corel directly, I think they were trying to save me some time in getting the missing bits, not realizing that all I'm going to get from Corel is a big fat zero. I won't be buying a Corel kit again.

That's right Rob, I've also dealt with Cornwall Models before and I've had nothing but good to say of them. In passing me on to Corel directly, I think they were trying to save me some time in getting the missing bits, not realizing that all I'm going to get from Corel is a big fat zero. I won't be buying a Corel kit again.
Hi ShadyG

I had a similar problem with Modelhobbies when I bought my Heller 1/200 Royal Louis from them, when I opened the box I found I had 2 righthand Hulls, I contacted modelhobbies regards this and they just kept robbing me off that they had sent for the parts from the supplier and were endlessly waiting on them coming, so I contacted Heller myself on about 3 occasions but never got a reply from them either. I ended up having to write it off and bought the Royal Louis again from a more respectable company, so I had 2 kits the same but it gave me lots of extra parts I could use especially the cannons as 1 kit only gives you 3/4 cannons needed for the ship, so with 2 kitsi gave her, her full compliment and a bit more of 122 cannons, of which I still have a few left over.
You live and learn mate, i wont be using Modelhobbies ever again either mate

All the best
Rob⚓

The FRIGATE CONSTITUTION and other Historic Ships by F.Alexasder Magoun, S.B., S.M
In this book you can find drawings of such historic ships as:
- the frigate CONSTITUTION,
- the Viking ship,
- the Santa Maria (also Pinta and Nina),
- the pilgrim ship Mayflower,
- the fishing schooner Bluenose,
- the clipper ship Flying Cloud.

La Mahonesa, Frégates espagnoles de 34 canons, 1789, Adrian Sorolla, Fermin Urtizberea.

PC200618.JPG
A big chunk arrived today.

PC200619.JPG
The printing on the spine and cover of the linen jacket is perfect and you can see again which book is in the bookcase once the dust jacket is gone.

PC200621.JPG

PC200620.JPG
The content of the monograph consits of a color booklet with construction photos, the usual text book with history, reduced construction plans and important notes and of course the construction plans.
As a typesetter and media designer, I am particularly pleased with the quality of the photos, printing and bookbinding.

PC200622.JPG
Excerpt of a construction plan.

If the "Ancre" monographs have always been very detailled, this mongraph is aimed especially at the modeler.

Too bad, now I have to return the book to my wife, because it is planned as a gift for me for December 24. It was allowed to browse through it once before. :D

Merry Christmas and good health to all
Thomas

Last edited:
La Mahonesa, Frégates espagnoles de 34 canons, 1789, Adrian Sorolla, Fermin Urtizberea.

View attachment 276787
A big chunk arrived today.

View attachment 276788
The printing on the spine and cover of the linen jacket is perfect and you can see again which book is in the bookcase once the dust jacket is gone.

View attachment 276798

View attachment 276789
The content of the monograph consits of a color booklet with construction photos, the usual text book with history, reduced construction plans and important notes and of course the construction plans.
As a typesetter and media designer, I am particularly pleased with the quality of the photos, printing and bookbinding.

View attachment 276791
Excerpt of a construction plan.

If the "Ancre" monographs have always been very detailled, this mongraph is aimed especially at the modeler.

Too bad, now I have to return the book to my wife, because it is planned as a gift for me for December 24. It was aollwed to browse through it once before. :D

Merry Christmas and good health to all
Thomas
Hallo Thomas,
lucky you - you have your copy already
I am expecting my copy also in this week
Great to see f.e. your last photo, where we can see, that every single beam, every single knee is shown - so a very detailed planset

Back