New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Nicolaes Witsen and SHIPBUILDING in the Dutch Golden Age by A.J. Hoving...
a great book written by one of our members @Ab Hoving
Here the book review we have in our forum:

Ho Ho Ho

I got my copy of the

La MAHONESA​

34-gun Spanish frigates - 1789​

by Adrian Sorolla
published by ancre

a planset review of this french version will follow during the holidays
- the english version will follow in February 2022 when I receive it

Mahonesa.jpg

A member of the Dutch forum asked if I was interested in the book 'Down to the Sea, The Fishing Schooners of Gloucester', by Joseph E. Garland:
Down-See-1.jpg
But of course!.
That's where some American opponents come from who competed in The Fishermen's Races, to which the Bluenose also owes its fame.
Geographical location of Gloucester and Lunenburg, inside cover:
Down-See-3.jpg
Content:
Down-See-2.jpg
A beautiful book with more than 160 photos.
Regards, Peter

FIRST RATE "The Greatest Warship of the Age of Sail" by Rif Winfield​

For everybody interested in our book review, please take a look:

FIRST RATE: The Greatest Warships of the Age of Sail
By Rif Winfield

In general the publication is of the best quality, high quality drawings and illustrations and beautiful reproductions of paintings and photographs of models. If you intent to look for a book for detailed research, the book is not fulfilling this request. It is a good read, a beautiful book to get a very good impression of this time and the type of ships…..the big First Rates! For this intention, I highly recommend this book.

JOHN PAUL JONES and THE BONHOMME RICHARD by JEAN BOUDRIOT

For everybody interested in our book review, please take a look:

JOHN PAUL JONES and the BONHOMME RICHARD,
A Reconstruction of the Ship and an Account of the Battle With HMS Serapis

by Jean Boudriot
Translated by David H. Roberts

unfortunately in moment sold out and not available at ancre

...and today the book has arrived. It was less than 2 weeks, I was really surprised. This is a very good book, highly recommended. Now, I have to learn german :cool: This is more than just a textbook. It does contain images on each page. But if I need to translate, I will use my phone. It works pretty well.

IMG_2276.JPEG IMG_2277.JPEG

...and today the book has arrived. It was less than 2 weeks, I was really surprised. This is a very good book, highly recommended. Now, I have to learn german :cool: This is more than just a textbook. It does contain images on each page. But if I need to translate, I will use my phone. It works pretty well.

View attachment 286726 View attachment 286727
It is very good book - definitely
BTW: I can see, that you ordered the book from Germany - Is he a private or professional? Maybe an interesting contact - so do you know, which other books he could offer?

It is very good book - definitely
BTW: I can see, that you ordered the book from Germany - Is he a private or professional? Maybe an interesting contact - so do you know, which other books he could offer?
I bought this book from eBay (Germany) and honestly don't know if he is a professional or privatecollector, nor do I know what other books he can offer. I will find out.

Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Mondfeld​

I can not recommend this book highly enough, especially for beginners. It's one of the best books for learning terminology because the pictures show you exactly what the item is. Anyone building square rigged ships should have this in their library! It's not expensive, and has more information packed in that many other books. Thanks for the review, Olha !

Historic Ship Models on Amazon

Last edited:
01_Cover.jpg

As my next build is to be Kolderstok's Statenjacht 1678 I recently purchased this book as a reference for the upcoming build.
The book covers the reconstruction of the Statenjacht Utrecht in 1997. Ab Hoving (editor), Cor Emke (plans). The book has 175 pages with 13 excellent plan sheets.
Having just begun reading I can say it was well researched and documented and I'm really enjoying reading it. Numerous photos of the interior will be invaluable.
I only hope my build will do it justice. The takeaway thus far is those that of wealth in that time period did travel quite nicely.
I've included some of the book's pictures however, my taking pictures of pictures from the book doesn't do them well. The books pictures are of excellent quality.

02_Great Room.jpg
From the great Room

03_Secreet.jpg
Definitely have to include the Secreet in my build.

04_Fireplace.jpg
The cozy fireplace

05_Engine control panel.jpg
These two pictures are classed as sacrilege by one of the SOS builders. ;)I guess modern times require certain items
The engine control panel. I will not be building the “Modern” version.

06_Prop.jpg
Ugh, the prop

Last edited:
View attachment 288116

As my next build is to be Kolderstok's Statenjacht 1678 I recently purchased this book as a reference for the upcoming build.
The book covers the reconstruction of the Statenjacht Utrecht in 1997. Ab Hoving (editor), Cor Emke (plans). The book has 175 pages with 13 excellent plan sheets.
Having just begun reading I can say it was well researched and documented and I'm really enjoying reading it. Numerous photos of the interior will be invaluable.
I only hope my build will do it justice. The takeaway thus far is those that of wealth in that time period did travel quite nicely.
I've included some of the book's pictures however, my taking pictures of pictures from the book doesn't do them well. The books pictures are of excellent quality.

View attachment 288118
From the great Room

View attachment 288119
Definitely have to include the Secreet in my build.

View attachment 288120
The cozy fireplace

View attachment 288121
These two pictures are classed as sacrilege by one of the SOS builders. ;)I guess modern times require certain items
The engine control panel. I will not be building the “Modern” version.

View attachment 288122
Ugh, the prop
Our friend @Ab Hoving will be very happy to see, that you bought this interesting book - I am looking forward to see your project growing

Back