New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

WOW THAT IS ONE I REALLY SHOULD HAVE IN MY LIBRARY, IT HAS MUCH DETAIL BUT IT LOOKS LIKE I NEED THE TEXT TO MAKE IT UNDERSTOOD IS THIS A NEW PUBLICATION, AQND IF I DECIDE TO GET IT WHERE IS IT AVAILABLE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE AND WORLD PEACE THROUGH GOD AND HIS SON DON

Today I received my copy of the book "In Tekening Gebracht" by Ab Hoving and AA.Lemmers.

View attachment 342276

Synopsis:
Dutch shipbuilding experienced a number of important developments in the eighteenth century, of which the introduction of ship drawing may be regarded as the most pervasive. The use of design and construction drawings from around 1725 marked a break with the artisanal construction methods of the previous centuries and the transition from traditional, artisanal management to a modern, technological approach. This crucial transition was accompanied by a riot of national proportions, which was indulged in fierce polemics. The cause of this was the appointment of British shipbuilders to the Admiralty of Amsterdam, while the Dutch shipbuilding industry was accused of backwardness - an accusation that was unjustified, as this study demonstrates for the first time. The analysis of the drawing techniques provides new insight into the knowledge and skills of the shipbuilders of that time. In additional contributions from renowned naval engineers, designs from the time are examined.
I have also a copy in my shelf and it is looking so extremely interesting - I am crossing all the fingers, that once it will be translated

I have also a copy in my shelf and it is looking so extremely interesting - I am crossing all the fingers, that once it will be translated
There is a translation in English going on. I did a part for @Ab Hoving, maybe he can tell more about it. How far it is going on.
The title should be in English:
BY RULE AND LINE - The eighteenth century shipbuilders and their design methods
So good to know when you search for this book, but I can tell you it is hard to read, a lot of technical stuff in there. So buying the Dutch book and try to translate with google is a hell of a job for you, better wait for the English copy

Hello Guys,
This is a bit of a dilemma. I have an English translation of the book, but it is not complete. The book has about 150 pages of modern Dutch text, a story about 18th century ship design in Holland written by Alan Lemmers and me, and another 150 pages mostly filled with an original 18th century manuscript by a shipbuilder Pieter Pauluszn van Zwijndregt. Only the modern text has been translated, the rest probably never will be. I will gladly upload the text here for anyone interested, but it is actually only half the book and it does not contain the original draughts. And most of all: I cannot upload the book here, because it is 10,5 Mb and I can only upload 5 as far as I know.
Anyone who is interested in the English text can write me a PM and will send it over. But beware: it's heavy stuff as Steef mentioned and it is only referring to Dutch practices.

Last edited:
Please don so Steef, you seem to do some members a pleasure :)
Okay. I split the the part that Ab send me in three parts
pag 1-60
pag 61-105
pag 106-156

with permission of Ab free for download. Have fun reading

Attachments

• Hoving Ab By_rule_and_line_ENG pag 1-60.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 95
  • Hoving Ab By_rule_and_line_ENG pag 61-105.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 74
  • Hoving Ab By_rule_and_line_ENG pag 106-156.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
How cool is this - WOW
My friends many many thanks for making this possible.
This is a great help. I will take my copy from the shelf and will read the english text during my christmas holidays
Once more many many thanks
Nevertheless at the end we have to take care, that this information will be not forgotten in this general topic, so we have to moce or create a new topic related to this publication

In The Netherlands it is custom to have a party on the 5th of December to celebrate the birthday of Sinterklaas. All children receive gifts and when grown older many still celebrate and exchange gifts that may or may not be accompanied with poems reflecting on events of the last year.

This year I got a copy of Brian Lavery's "Wooden Warship Construction" (and a set of wood scrapers).

1670272228143.jpeg

In The Netherlands it is custom to have a party on the 5th of December to celebrate the birthday of Sinterklaas. All children receive gifts and when grown older many still celebrate and exchange gifts that may or may not be accompanied with poems reflecting on events of the last year.

This year I got a copy of Brian Lavery's "Wooden Warship Construction" (and a set of wood scrapers).

View attachment 344118
Nice gift. Like it

View attachment 344118
A very good and interesting book.
For everybody interested in this publication please take a look at our book review

Couldn't resist ;). I ordered several books to add to my bookshelf from the UK and Ireland.
This parcel was ordered last week from a small bookshop in Ireland and arrived today.
Golden oldies but still in very good shape.

View attachment 344283
Really some classics from Brian Lavery
We have a Book review here in SOS, so everybody interested should take a look

THE SHIP OF THE LINE - Volume I - The Development of the Battlefleet 1650-1850

and also

THE SHIP OF THE LINE - Volume II: Design, Construction and Fittings

I have stated earlier that for every month until retirement (abt 4 years to go) I will buy me a book regarding historical shipbuilding / ship models / ship modelling or regarding drawings and paintings of historical ships.
Having drawn up a wish list of books (mostly on the basis of this thread and the book reviews on this forum) I must say I got a bit carried away, searched the internet and selected amongst others books regarded to provide the basic information of historical shipbuilding, more specific the English ship building and started collecting them.

Already received:
- The Construction and Fitting of English Ships of War (Peter Goodwin)
- The Ship of The Line (2 Volumes) (Brian Lavery)

Ordered, on the way to my doorstep:
- Deane's Doctrine of Naval Architecture (Brian Lavery)
- The Arming and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War 1650 - 1850 (Brian Lavery)

And last, added today to my bookshelf:

- The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625 - 1860 (James Lees)

1670709897985.jpeg

Last edited:
Back