New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

And last, added today to my bookshelf:

- The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625 - 1860 (James Lee)
That is a real good book. Togheter with John harland Seamanship in the Age of Sail you will have a lot of information about rigging. At Bol.com there is also a copy of RC Anderson rigging in spritsail days, just for a few euro's. Whit These books you can almost find anything you have to know about the 17th and 18th century rigging.

That is a real good book. Togheter with John harland Seamanship in the Age of Sail you will have a lot of information about rigging. At Bol.com there is also a copy of RC Anderson rigging in spritsail days, just for a few euro's. Whit These books you can almost find anything you have to know about the 17th and 18th century rigging.
"Seamanship in the Age of Sail" is already on my wish list.
Is the book of RC.Anderson a useful addition to that of James Lee?

I have stated earlier that for every month until retirement (abt 4 years to go) I will buy me a book regarding historical shipbuilding / ship models / ship modelling or regarding drawings and paintings of historical ships.
Having drawn up a wish list of books (mostly on the basis of this thread and the book reviews on this forum) I must say I got a bit carried away, searched the internet and selected amongst others books regarded to provide the basic information of historical shipbuilding, more specific the English ship building and started collecting them.

Already received:
- The Construction and Fitting of English Ships of War (Peter Goodwin)
- The Ship of The Line (2 Volumes) (Brian Lavery)

Ordered, on the way to my doorstep:
- Deane's Doctrine of Naval Architecture (Brian Lavery)
- The Arming and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War 1650 - 1850 (Brian Lavery)

Realy a very good and informative book - you made a good decision to buy a copy for your library

The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1625-1860
By James Lees

I have stated earlier that for every month until retirement (abt 4 years to go) I will buy me a book regarding historical shipbuilding / ship models / ship modelling or regarding drawings and paintings of historical ships.
Having drawn up a wish list of books (mostly on the basis of this thread and the book reviews on this forum) I must say I got a bit carried away, searched the internet and selected amongst others books regarded to provide the basic information of historical shipbuilding, more specific the English ship building and started collecting them.

Already received:
- The Construction and Fitting of English Ships of War (Peter Goodwin)
- The Ship of The Line (2 Volumes) (Brian Lavery)

Ordered, on the way to my doorstep:
- Deane's Doctrine of Naval Architecture (Brian Lavery)
- The Arming and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War 1650 - 1850 (Brian Lavery)

View attachment 344915
The book "The Arming and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War 1650 - 1850" I ordered was delivered the day before yesterday. It was highly recommended and justly so. Full of details and elaborate explanation of the development over the years.

1671136160106.jpeg

The book "The Arming and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War 1650 - 1850" I ordered was delivered the day before yesterday. It was highly recommended and justly so. Full of details and elaborate explanation of the development over the years.
I can also highly recommend this book - One of the "must have" in my library
Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815
by Brian Lavery

VOLUME 3 - THE 74 GUN SHIP Pratical Treatise of Naval Art 1780 by Jean Boudriot

VOLUME 4 - THE 74 GUN SHIP Pratical Treatise of Naval Art 1780 by Jean Boudriot

Anatomy of the Ship of The Colonial Merchantman SUSAN CONSTANT 1605 by Brian Lavery
you can find these books also in Book Reviews here in SOS - many thanks for sharing these videos

For everybody who is interested in this masterpiece of documentation and cornerstone of most of the ancre (and Gerard Delacroix) publications, please take a look:
(please click on the title to get redirected to the different Reviews with "Look Inside":

THE 74-GUN SHIP - Volume 1 - HULL CONSTRUCTION

THE 74-GUN SHIP - Volume 2 - FITTING OUT THE HULL

THE 74-GUN SHIP - Volume 3 - MASTS - SAILS - RIGGING

THE 74-GUN SHIP - Volume 4 - MANNING / SHIPHANDLING

Planset THE 74-GUN SHIP in scale 1:48 (or 1:72)

I can really highly recommend this set of Volumes!!

https://ancre.fr/en/

There comes a time, as we age, when we don’t want or need knick-knacks as gifts anymore. (Hmmm, except when the grandkids give you something they made or give you something that is special to them :).)

This Christmas my wife gave me these Ancre monographs and an accompanying book. Wonderful gift because, to me, it’s not necessarily about building the model but about enjoying the history, archeology and methods of construction of those wonderful old ships. I often spend as much time time enjoying the books and monographs as I do building models.

7C84179C-7220-448D-B965-E1BC18961C19.jpeg

Santa dropped these off for my reading pleasure.

Bill

View attachment 347679
One of my daughters gave me Gardiner as well!
There comes a time, as we age, when we don’t want or need knick-knacks as gifts anymore. (Hmmm, except when the grandkids give you something they made or give you something that is special to them :).)

This Christmas my wife gave me these Ancre monographs and an accompanying book. Wonderful gift because, to me, it’s not necessarily about building the model but about enjoying the history, archeology and methods of construction of those wonderful old ships. I often spend as much time time enjoying the books and monographs as I do building models.

View attachment 347783
I just realised that we all seem to have great daughters and wives, I got Le Rochefort and Le Gros from my daughters. The Sloop of War I got from my wife as well as the 1:36 plans of Le Gros.

The Bomb Vessel GRANADO (1742) by Piter Goodwin - Anatomy of The Ship​

We have also a Book Review of the Granado anatomy by Peter Goodwin - a very good help and absolutely recommened when you build the CAF kit model

Back