Newbie mistake - Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Shipmates, she is done! A hobby desire that was sparked 30+ years ago…a journey that officially began about a year ago…my first wooden model is finished! I’ve got a case on the way and I’ll clean up the stand next but the main work is complete. I present to you my attempt at the Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks dory:
IMG_3840.jpegIMG_3841.jpegIMG_3842.jpegIMG_3843.jpegIMG_3844.jpeg

Great job. Finished about 18 months ago. Gifted it to my niece in Gloucester MA. Tribute to her daughter and 2d rower who completed the 21 mile challenge from the Harbor to around Cape Ann. Thru Annisquam River back to starting point. Completed in 5.5 hours. Attached metal placque with their names and details.

Great job. Finished about 18 months ago. Gifted it to my niece in Gloucester MA. Tribute to her daughter and 2d rower who completed the 21 mile challenge from the Harbor to around Cape Ann. Thru Annisquam River back to starting point. Completed in 5.5 hours. Attached metal placque with their names and details.
Thank you and that sounds like a very cool way to commemorate their accomplishment!

A great clean looking build and workshop, you should be proud of both thing completed.

Remember, building and completing a ship/model/project is not about being the best, most accurate, best looking or any of those things. Its about finishing a new tasking and learning something you didn't know before, that will make the next project go together better or look better and build up on skills and tools and supplies you will need down the road.

Turn that in to Model Expo for credit on next project, have more fun and show us your next tasking as you go.

A great clean looking build and workshop, you should be proud of both thing completed.

Remember, building and completing a ship/model/project is not about being the best, most accurate, best looking or any of those things. Its about finishing a new tasking and learning something you didn't know before, that will make the next project go together better or look better and build up on skills and tools and supplies you will need down the road.

Turn that in to Model Expo for credit on next project, have more fun and show us your next tasking as you go.
Already did and have the Black Prince on the shelf for several projects from now. Next up on the bench is the Sailing Pram. Just been a bit too busy with stuff with the kids to get a good start on it.

I actually had a 14' three seater that a friend of mine gave me. Your model looks almost exactly like my boat. Great fun. Your model takes me back. Between then and now I built a similar model, only I put in three seats, just like the original. I gave it away, trailer and all, and it wound up at a school in NC that had a lake. Thanks for the memory.

The question before the committee is: to fix or not to fix? Newbie mistake but somehow I set the transom way too high and now the stern cleat is well above the sheer strake and will sit above the cap rail too once in place. I’ve reviewed dozens of photos of this model (and even some of real dories) and this is definitely wrong. Which bugs the heck out of me. But the way I see it, there are two choices facing me currently:

1) Tear the transom out and refit. Risk of greater damage to model is moderate to high considering the fragility of the strakes…but if it works will make me less grumpy for messing up.

OR

2) Press onward, be forever reminded of my novice learning curve and when asked why the stern looks so high simply tell people “the fisherman/boat-builder was drunk when he built it”

Photos for reference. I’ve already test fit the remaining parts. It’s sitting too high.

View attachment 362092
View attachment 362093View attachment 362094
Hallo @Don Graves
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back