NIKONOV sub build [COMPLETED BUILD]

I am in the process of building one of these chinese wooden kits. An interesting experience to say the least. I don't speak Chinese so it has involved a fair bit of 'build by pictures! Not too painful but still a bit laborious.

So far so good, as the pictures that will accompany my efforts will show when I post them.

Watch this space.

Last edited:
IMG_20230625_122859_7.jpgThe basic beer barrel, as I call it, completed with the turret attached. No real problems as the resin glue I used is strong, has a good tack quality and a fairly quick drying time. I've also got some good rubber bands to hold things in place!

The brass trim taking shape. A dab of superglue and then bucket loads of pin 'rivets'. Each hole predrilled and the pins tapped in.

I've also fitted the 'glass' windows. Tricky but do-able.
IMG_20230707_142932_9.jpgIMG_20230707_142938_8.jpgIMG_20230707_142955_3.jpgIMG_20230703_162803_8.jpg
The finish is wood scratch remover (dark oak flavour) and I will give it all an oak wax final finish. I havent decided on weathering the brass yet. I quite like it as it is.

IMG_20230707_145855_0.jpg
The rudder completed. The rivets were a real pain. Chopping the pins, pre drilling the holes and sticking the bloody things in was no fun!

IMG_20230703_150107_9.jpg
The work bench.
IMG_20230707_142947_9.jpg
More brass detail

IMG_20230625_123011_5.jpg
The Manual. HA HA!

Next. Rope wrapping the hull and more detail....

Last edited:
Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
A very interesting project - I like this type of models very much - somehow completely different.

Chinese manual -> there are translations apps available, where you can see the text directly translkated on the screen of your mobile.....in the meantime the quality of translations are very good
If you are interested for some details maybe it can help to look at other building logs of the NIKONOV sub

Thank you for your welcome! The manual issue turned out to be less of a problem because it is well laid out pictorially. I also was able to look into another member's log who had built one of these and his very helpful posts explained most of the issues I found with my build.

A bit more progress today. The rope wrapping is complete. A bit tricky keeping everything reasonably neat and parallel. Securing one end with superglue and doing the first wrap carefully to get it right is the key to success. The resin type glue I use is very handy too.

I've also managed to get the rudder on. It actually fitted!

More bloody rivets though! ( See if you can spot the ones I still have to fit)

The harpoon pole is also on.

We progress.....

Wrapping done and stained and the harpoon pole on. IMG_20230710_140557_7.jpgIMG_20230710_145522_7.jpgIMG_20230710_145746_2.jpg
The rudder mounted but not quite finished!

IMG_20230710_140549_3.jpg

Last edited:
I've finished the rudder and its linkage. It does actually work, having mastered the art of drilling the tubing and flattening the ends. Cut the brass rod to length, glue the drilled tubing on and link up with a pin.
If you had studied my previous pics, you will spot my deliberate mistake (or one of them at least!) I had mounted the brass linkage ports in the hull too high. I hadn't studied the manual properly, got the ends confused, and my arse kicked!

Easy job? -NOT!

The harpoon is somehow together and I'm working on the linkage for that. Fiddly or what!

IMG_20230715_132015_4.jpgIMG_20230715_131931_9.jpgIMG_20230715_131942_1.jpgIMG_20230715_131951_2.jpgIMG_20230715_132024_5.jpgIMG_20230715_132057_9.jpgIMG_20230715_132001_4.jpg
These pictures are of the basically complete model. The harpoon is fitted. Its supports were a bitch to bend to shape. You can probably tell!
I had to study the 'manual' to get the final bit of the linkage that attaches to the harpoon right. If you look, you can see why.

Basically, it's now just adding the oars, weights and climbing irons, etc.. A tidy up and a coat of dark wax and we are done.

A few lessons learnt and, maybe tips. Don't stain the hull before fitting the brass. Superglue doesn't like it! Use square-nose pliers to crimp the tubing.
I did use superglue to put the brass, the rudder and harpoon mechanism together, because it bonds quickly -when it decides to! Use good quality glue too, if you value your sanity.

A tip for making the air barrel. Soak the wooden planks first. They break VERY easily.

The model came out OK and I'm pleased with the result so far. Very intricate and a bit fiddly, but do-able with patience (It took me a week to make the air barrel! Inch by inch, glueing the thing together, plank by plank and clamping each time.).
Tweezers, clamps or rubber bands, scalpels, and a pin vise are vital, as are the right drill bits. A Dremel is also worth its weight in gold.

I hope those contemplating building this unique model will find my log of my efforts useful. If I can make this kit, anyone can! The manual wasn't a problem in the end. It is well laid out and with a bit of common sense, you can figure out what to do. Mind you, for the cost of the kit, they should provide an english translation

Fiinal installment and pics soon.....

IMG_20230715_131931_9.jpg

IMG_20230715_132111_2.jpg

Last edited:
This is a new one on me. History? Function?( How does it work?) Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?...Bueller?

Pete

Hi. I don't know about Bueller whoever he is.

This is a model of the the first known Russian submarine in history. Designed and built by a man called Nikonov, in the 18th century. it actually worked but not very well.

There is a full sized replica on display in St Petersburg, I believe.

It's an accurate and intricate model and has been 'fun' to build (LOL!).

It's basically a large barrel whose buoyancy is controlled by external weights? Another small barrel is attached via a hose and floats on the surface to provide air. Control is by the use of oars, and a wooden rudder. That must have been interesting!

How it's supposed be worked to sink a ship, I've no idea. Harpooning it?

It is Russian after all!

My next pics will show more finished details like the air barrel and climbing rungs, etc.

Last edited:
The following snaps include the ladder rungs and air barrel and barrel mount. The weight irons are also fitted.

IMG_20230718_145630_1.jpgIMG_20230718_142133_7.jpgIMG_20230718_141221_6.jpgIMG_20230718_141159_0.jpgIMG_20230718_141144_9.jpgIMG_20230718_141117_9.jpg

The air barrel with the securing handle fitted, but the wrapping needs tidying.

You cant make too many mistakes with the tubing supplied for the kit to make these rungs, etc.. There is enough, but not a lot spare

I found a Dremel with a VERY small bit was needed to drill all those 'rivet' holes for the rungs. Marking the holes was essential. I needed a lot of patience too!
IMG_20230718_145645_5.jpg
Just the oars and weights to fit, the barrel and hose to mount, and the end is in sight!

Last edited:
The final pics of the build so far. The sub is now complete and mounted on a polished piece of oak offcut.

I may add the tethering ropes when I get to it, but they are not shown in the manual so they are an extra as far as I am concerned.

It probably isn't finished. They never are, but it will do for now.

Please let me know what you think. I welcome constructive criticism!IMG_20230719_170955_4.jpgIMG_20230719_171000_7.jpgIMG_20230719_171008_1.jpgIMG_20230719_171016_6.jpgIMG_20230719_171037_9.jpgIMG_20230719_171050_0.jpg

Last edited:
From the movie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The professor calls his name, but he's cut class. Probably the same one I skipped when the history and background of this sub was being taught. :rolleyes:
The final pics of the build so far. The sub is now complete and mounted on a polished piece of oak offcut.

I may add the tethering ropes when I get to it, but they are not shown in the manual so they are an extra as far as I am concerned.

It probably isn't finished. They never are, but it will do for now.

Please let me know what you think. I welcome constructive criticism!View attachment 385561View attachment 385562View attachment 385563View attachment 385564View attachment 385565View attachment 385566
Another obscure movie reference: Like something dreamed up by the Warner Bros. cartoon studio of the 1950s. ; Elmer Fudd, dressed up like a Cossack, with black boots, Blousy shirt and trousers and tall fuzzy hat, climbs into this thing (labeled "Acme- Nikonov") to strains from Tchaikovkski's "Boris Godinov", sinks, paddles furiously beneath the enemy ship, floats up underneath, spears the bottom of the ship with the ridiculous vertical harpoon, gets stuck and the whole thing ,ship, sub and all blows up. The ship turns to ashes (still in the shape of a ship) pauses, then disintegrates, the ashes collapsing into the water. Somehow Elmer Fudd-erovsky escapes annoyed, but unharmed.;)

Pete

From the movie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The professor calls his name, but he's cut class. Probably the same one I skipped when the history and background of this sub was being taught. :rolleyes:

Another obscure move reference: Like something dreamed up by the Warner Bros. cartoon studio of the 1950s. ; Elmer Fudd, dressed up like a Cossack, with black boots, Blousy shirt and trousers and tall fuzzy hat, climbs into this thing (labeled "Acme- Nikonov") to strains from Tchaikovkski's "Boris Godinov", sinks, paddles furiously beneath the enemy ship, floats up underneath, spears the bottom of the ship with the ridiculous vertical harpoon, gets stuck and the whole thing ,ship, sub and all blows up. The ship turns to ashes (still in the shape of a ship) pauses, then disintegrates, the ashes collapsing into the water. Somehow Elmer Fudd-erovsky escapes annoyed, but unharmed.;)

Pete
Yes. I was a but slow. And I've seen the movie!

Your description of the 'operation' of the thing is probably spot on. The problem might be if the ship being targeted has a copper bottom.

Elmer wouldn't be pleased!

On the Master Korabel version, what's the purpose of the two black tubes with the eyebolts in the ends, to either side of the pilot house?

Sorry, can't help. It was another contributer who posted.
Thanks anyway. I love your model, by the way. It reminds me of the literally fantastic Steam Punk creations, that are pure alternate universe contraptions of a re- imagined Victorian industrial age technology: iron, brass and steam contraptions, aero nautical, nautical, and anything else you can think up. Jules Verne and H. G. Wells, I believe, being the inspiration. If you want to see some beautiful and exquisitely executed models check Steam Punk out! Yours is unequivocally an exquisite little masterpiece! Okay Thumbsup

Pete

Back