• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Nuestra Señora de la Santísima Trinidad by Ocre - Build log

Hi Peter,
Well, things are coming along quite nicely.
With a project of that size, each construction phase keeps you busy for a while.
After my Victory, I’m actually glad to be building something a bit smaller with the Gretchen.
 
Hi Pfälzer,
Thank you. You are absolutely right. I already know that I won't make the estimated build time of 1,000 hours specified by Occre.
The time I've already spent on it is already over 100 hours.
Fortunately, I'm enjoying it a lot.
And how much time have you already spent on the Gretchen and what will be your estimated build time?

Greetz, Peter
 
That’s a good question, Peter.
The Gretchen is actually the first little boat I’ve built without feeling any time pressure. I wanted to finish the San Martin so that I could start on the Victory.
The Victory had to be finished because they were waiting impatiently at the venue where it’s now on display.
The Gretchen will be coming to live with me, which is why I can work at a leisurely pace.
She’ll also be the first one for which I’ll be making the sails myself. So that’ll probably take a while.
I reckon I’ll need until the turn of the year. And as I work in the civil service, the motto is ‘it’ll be finished when it’s finished’.
Best wishes

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
 
Very nice build so far.
Pay attention that the guns are not accurate for the time period.
For the Trafalgar period you both iron long guns ordnance and bronze naval howitzers ordnance.

Cheers
 
As sevish says, the one on the right is more suitable; the one in the middle is better suited for a galleon.
 
One side done. One side to go…
I found a workaround. I left those gunports that have the bulkheads behind them open.
I also left open the ones where the hull has too much curvature, and glued them last.

View attachment 615464

View attachment 615465
I have also placed the baseboards against the walls.

View attachment 615466

Great job Peter

I am thinking of a smaller kit for my first wood build, but reviewing your current build is making me want to aim higher!
 
Great job Peter

I am thinking of a smaller kit for my first wood build, but reviewing your current build is making me want to aim higher!
Hi Pete,
Thank you so much!

So far I have no regrets about my ST. I think the results of what I’ve built up to this point look acceptable. When I look closely, I do see some minor things that I can easily fix or adjust. Despite many people being skeptical, I have to say that as a beginner I haven’t encountered any real issues yet, except for a stupid mistake of my own making.
I'm sure I will face some real challenges ahead, but with a bit of perseverance, trial and error, and most importantly, taking my time, I will figure it out.

And looking at your Titanic, I’d say: raise the bar a little higher!
 
Finally, I managed to spend some time on my ST again.
I have now fully planked the bulwarks and gave them a first sanding to see if there are any major gaps between the planks. Fortunately, I couldn't find any.
IMG_1090.jpegIMG_1092.jpeg


The next phase has started: the planking of the hull.
First, I installed a garboard strake, following the description by E. Baetens (How to: planking a ship's hull).
The sapeli planks are a lot harder than the lime wood planks I used for planking the bulwarks.

IMG_1093.jpeg

I use the clips to check if the planks have taken on the correct shape. Once I'm completely satisfied, I glue them in place.

IMG_1094.jpeg

That's it for now and thanks for following my log.
 
It is looking good, Peter, I will follow this one with interest.

I found that I really enjoy the kits from OcCre, my Montanes build posted here has been truly enjoyable to build. Such clear instructions and the colored photo pamplet has proven invaluable as I step through construction.
 
It is looking good, Peter, I will follow this one with interest.

I found that I really enjoy the kits from OcCre, my Montanes build posted here has been truly enjoyable to build. Such clear instructions and the colored photo pamplet has proven invaluable as I step through construction.

Thank you John.
But surely you aren't finished with the Montanes yet?!
I have just started following your build, as well as your Royal William.
Impressive to work on multiple models at the same time.
By the way, I also hope that I have missing parts that I can reorder to get such a beautiful name plaque... ;)
 
No hardly, I am just getting back to this hobby after a decade hiatus, (the entire Montanes build log up to yesterday was from 2004 with digital photos dated from 2014). One kit at a time, I am looking forward to the activity ASAP with the speed that is required for each kit.

I plan on concentrating on the Montanes for now until its completed; followed by the Sao Miguel in a in a few months time or so. Then onto the continuation of the Wappen von Hamburg until finished. I estimate that completing those two kits will take me into late 2027 or so. Then I have planned the builds for the OcCre Nuestra Senora del Pilar, Corel Berlin, and Mamoli Royal Louis, in no particulare order, starting the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2027. Maybe I will try do all three at the same time if I get my in-house hobby shop completed by then which has more space (12 x 24 feet vs the current grage shop of 6 x 10 foot). I will have the space to have two or three work tables / benches available to enable me to work on two or three kits at the same time.

I won't get to the Royal William for quite some time yet, it is a very scary model with a few scratch-built parts for a newbie like me who only has completed five models since 1976. Those photos for this build were taken just the day I posted it.

I just did a little work on those three kits; Sao Miguel, Wappen von Hamburg, and Royal William when I first received those kits in 2004 through 2010, just had to fit the bulkheads to the false keel, and continued until, well you can see the postings. I just HAD to post them, like a teaser, getting my muse fueled up for building once again, and BTW those photos were all from 2014 cloud storage also.

Try to build a day for 8 hours, photos for 30 minutes or so, write up the commentaries for the days activity and post to MSW and Ships of Scale.

Whew, lots of writing, hope it wasn't too much for you. Your interest keeps the old brain working. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Wow John.

You have quite an ambitious schedule for the Montanes!
Eight hours of build time per day!
And on top of that, you also have to set up your hobby shop….
Are you still getting enough sleep?

My ST is not going very fast, because lately I have many other things demanding my attention.
Building is limited to about eight to twelve hours a week.
Next week I can work on it for a few more hours, because Saturday we start our three-week vacation.
It is very nice that I can often follow your progress while lying on the beach.

With a bit of luck, I might still be able to report some modest progress in my build log.

Thanks.
 
Thank you for contacting me, most refreshing, and it may seem like a lot but I am, in fact retired, turning 70 in October with no major health issues, and have all the free time in the world to keep my desired sheduled. BTW the smaller garage hobby shop is functioning, just a bit messy and dusty. Spent about one hour or so cleaning up that room where the Montanes is current resting on its custom made cradle, waiting for my attention. With the mini lathe and belt sander in that room there is only space for one kit build at a time. Fixing up the much larger in-house hobby room, (demensions 12 X 24 feet) may take a few months or so.

Re: The Royal William build, Bryian just commented on that build with a suggestion to use Keith Julier Period Ship Handbook publlished 1992 / 1993 from Argus Press. Although I have four of his his books, none had a dedicated chapter to that kit. However the 1992 / 1993 Argus Edition has a full chapter dedicated to The Royal William build. Found it on EBay Great Britain for under US $60.00.

Also just purchased the paint that I will use to complete the Montanes from Model Expo, since all of my paint, (about 16 bottles), are all dried out. The warm water trick only worked on the Bulwark Red it seems, all of the other colors are Kaput!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top