Cala Esmeralda 1:58 by Occre [COMPLETED BUILD]

yup, that -almost- happens here too several times a day;-) ¤!*"¤%&! bowsprit!
But I'm blessed with a 7x7 meter studio/workshop and a 2x2 meter table in the middle.
So I have room to build 2 ships at the same time.. woordworking / rigging;-)
Looking forward to see your final Esmeralda!
1707847309186.png

Well crap! :mad: Even without a lazy Susan turntable I managed to break off the bowsprit! Looks log rigging is on hold and it’s back to the carpenter’s bench to build a new bowsprit assembly. One step forward and two steps back I guess…

View attachment 428377
My god Olivier.. what a bad luck. Also..looks like a serious collision..what happened?!
Very sorry to see this, hope you don't get too discouraged..she will be beautiful;-)

Good luck!

My god Olivier.. what a bad luck. Also..looks like a serious collision..what happened?!
Very sorry to see this, hope you don't get too discouraged..she will be beautiful;-)

Good luck!
Oh...NO... Hope you have the plan 'B'
Thanks Jim. Plan B is to make a new bowsprit. It’s already on the lathe and tapered to size. the brass collars also got wrecked so I’ve ordered some brass tube stock from which I’ll cut appropriate rings. So bowsprit repair is now on hold.

Thanks John. S### happens! I was not paying attention and swiveled my chair around and CRACK! Not discouraged, just disappointed… As they say, “This too shall pass”… I’ve closed the shipyard for the night and will go have a beer!

Thanks Jim. Plan B is to make a new bowsprit. It’s already on the lathe and tapered to size. the brass collars also got wrecked so I’ve ordered some brass tube stock from which I’ll cut appropriate rings. So bowsprit repair is now on hold.

Thanks John. S### happens! I was not paying attention and swiveled my chair around and CRACK! Not discouraged, just disappointed… As they say, “This too shall pass”… I’ve closed the shipyard for the night and will go have a beer!
Skål!

you are doing everything, that you do not have to make the rigging, or? ;)
Sorry for this "joke"
Good, that such things can be repaired ..... it is only one step backwards and the second is usually better than the first :cool:

So, while waiting for parts to arrive to complete the bowsprit. I worked a little more on furling sails… not too bad for a first attempt.
IMG_8389.jpeg

Also, I was not a fan of the copper bowsprit and anchor chains so I took them off and blackened them. Lastly, I really disliked the plywood cat heads so I ripped those out and remade them with some walnut I had lying around.
IMG_8390.jpeg

Hopefully the parts I ordered to complete the bowsprit will be delivered soon! If not, I may end up rebuilding the whole ship! ROTF ROTFROTF

Hej Olivier!

Very nice! I also plan to furl -at least some of- the sails. Did you use silkspan? I never did, but look forward to try;-)

As for ugly plywood.. I did not like the sides of the cargo hatches, so I covered them in sapelli. Probally not 'correct', but I prioritize aesthetics over historical correctness. Cala Esmeralda anyway is a work of fiction :)
I will do the same with the catheads.

Looking forward to your next steps!

e1541c72-12bc-41b7-8056-db87216b55f1.jpeg

Hej Olivier!

Very nice! I also plan to furl -at least some of- the sails. Did you use silkspan? I never did, but look forward to try;-)

As for ugly plywood.. I did not like the sides of the cargo hatches, so I covered them in sapelli. Probally not 'correct', but I prioritize aesthetics over historical correctness. Cala Esmeralda anyway is a work of fiction :)
I will do the same with the catheads.

Looking forward to your next steps!

View attachment 430831
Thanks John!
Your interpretation looks very good and as you said the Esmeralda is a work of fiction anyway so make it yours!
Yes, I used Silkspan. This is also a first try in working with the stuff. I did buy both the thin and the medium weights. For this scale the thin really is too thin and I’m working with the medium in the above photo. Started by following Tom Laurie’s method and am slowly modifying to fit my methods. Let me know if you use Silkspan and I’ll share my trials and discoveries.

Hej Olivier,
Thnx;-) yes, I watched Tom's videos also. Trouble is..I can not find 'silkspan' in Sweden, or anywhere else outside the US it seems.
It is probably called something else here. I'll find out;-)
What weight is medium?
good luck, thnx for the support!

Hej Olivier,
Thnx;-) yes, I watched Tom's videos also. Trouble is..I can not find 'silkspan' in Sweden, or anywhere else outside the US it seems.
It is probably called something else here. I'll find out;-)
What weight is medium?
good luck, thnx for the support!
Silkspan is getting hard to find even in the US. There are some alternatives available though. Eze-Tissue (https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/eze-tissue-natural) is one product I know is available in the UK (don’t know about Sweden…) also I’ve heard of people using the tissue that doctors place on their exam tables…(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J8H8K...lid=DY6RQZPXBG3L&p&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&sc=1&)
I’ve been told that the medium silkspan is 12.3g / square meter. Which should be close to the weight of the two links I provided. Good luck.

Silkspan is getting hard to find even in the US. There are some alternatives available though. Eze-Tissue (https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/eze-tissue-natural) is one product I know is available in the UK (don’t know about Sweden…) also I’ve heard of people using the tissue that doctors place on their exam tables…(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J8H8K...lid=DY6RQZPXBG3L&p&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&sc=1&)
I’ve been told that the medium silkspan is 12.3g / square meter. Which should be close to the weight of the two links I provided. Good luck.
Thank you..that is very helpful. I think I found some comparable products, will share some links tomorrow. It is almost midnight here; time to dream about cruising the Mediterranean o/b Esmeralda ;-)

If you’ve been following my build log you know I’ve been experimenting with showing the sails furled using Silkspan. I have made a bit of progress and it seems to be going well.
IMG_8400.jpegIMG_8402.jpegIMG_8401.jpeg

It is a bit of a process but the Silkspan material is much stronger and more forgiving than I thought It would be. So far I think it’s a success.

Oh, my wife seems to be making fun of me as she sent me this comic.
IMG_0923.jpeg

ROTF :oops:ROTFROTF

wow-- beautiful!
Could you please elaborate a bit about the process you followed?

Last edited:
wow-- beautiful!
Could you please elaborate a bit about the process you followed?
For the most part I’m following Tom Laurie’s method with the exception that I’m cutting the sail 3mm oversize and folding the 3mm edge into the sail area. I’m also laying a 0.3mm “rope” in the seam of the fold with the appropriate sized block fitted to the rope. This provides a stronger edge where the rings go through the sail to attach to the stay as well as where the sail threads onto the boom. I then mount the sail with the up-haul and down-haul lines. Wet the sail with a fine mist spray and lower the sail which, so far, seems to fall just like a real sail. I would do a tutorial but don’t have any type of camera setup to help with that.
Let me know if you have questions and I’ll try and clear them up.

Thank you Olivier! I'm about to start building the masts, and then do the rigging. My plan is to finish one mast first, and do the sailmaking/testing/practising off-ship.
Your results are truly wonderful, among the best I've seen so far..I love furled sails.
Thanks for your reply!

I’m declaring the sails complete!
IMG_0980.jpeg
IMG_0979.jpeg

Now I’ll finish a few final pieces like securing the anchors to the cat heads, finishing and securing the barrels for the deck. I might turn new buckets on the lathe… we’ll see. Then I’m calling her complete!

Back