OCCRE Golden Hind - beginner (have a few questions)

I have not posted here for a while, almost done with the first layer of planking.

I’ve learned a lot of lessons already. For the first time planking I am not dissatisfied, however there is certainly room for improvement. Luckily it’s now just about the shape and another thinner layer of planking will follow.

I still need to finish the planking at one side, it needs some sanding/filling and the bulwarks need to be cut and shaped properly.
View attachment 424395

View attachment 424400

View attachment 424399

This side needs to be finished, however I am also a little concerned about the shape in the marked area. Is there a way to fix this?
View attachment 424401
Look at pictures of the finished model or depictions of the actual ship in artwork to determine what how the hull to the beakhead transition should appear. The idea is, you want to raise the low spots on the hull, not just remove the high spots except in very few areas. Use filler and sand to the desired shape using both cylindrical and flat sanding blocks. <-- USE THE RIGHT TOOLS!

Don't use your fingers and sandpaper, or the weaker of the two materials (either wood or filler) will wash away leaving only the stronger material proud, and you will continue to have ripples and flat spots in the surface, and perhaps create even more. Add filler around a bulge, and add filler to flat spots in order to raise low areas and smooth the overall hull shape. You don't want to only sand the high areas down, because you will sand through the planks somewhere and create a hole in the hull. Check to see that the shape is symmetrical port to starboard. When viewing the hull, use sunlight and look along the hull's surface at an oblique angle to look for waves, bulges, and flat spots. Looking directly at the hull won't show you much. Repeat filling/sanding until it looks correct.

What Darivs said. Take your time with the sanding/filling and the second planking will be easier.

You are at the stage where mistakes can be truly ugly, but fixed with sticks of wood, filler, and glue and not have ANY effect on the final result. You can make changes to the hull that are actually quite drastic, using basswood sticks and planks to make changes, sand and fill, and once covered by hardwood final planks, the changes look perfect. If the hull has bumps and flat spots and you don't fix them now, they will be apparent after the final planking is laid over them, so take the time to fix all the defects now. You won't believe how awesome your model looks later if you do!

Sorry for the late reply.....clean and accurate work -> you are on a good way
A pattern on the second hull planking would be very good and was technically in the original done.
It has not to be regular (like shown in books like Mondfeld etc., but all butt joints would be never all on the same frame, like you have now at midship - between the gunports it is absolutely correct made, there you do not have any butt joints, because the planks would have been long enough from one port to the next.
Only to show what I mean here a link to my Granado where you can see very good the individual butt joints of the planking - two neighbour planks have never a butt joint at the same frame

BTW: I pronounced the butt joints in addition with black water colour to show some caulking between the planks - therefore the joints are more visible, than f.e. on you model after sanding and wood treatment with oil or something else.....

Back