HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

A very interesting discussion and also informations about Mica and alternatives
Many Thanks to all for participation and all the comments - and off course also the likes received

In the meantime all the treenails are installed (I did not count them, but a lot) and I sanded the outer hull and treated it with one layer of CLOU - it coming out nicely ......

Somehow boring (for some) to see a finished planking, but I like it, so maybe I posted too much photos of the result

View attachment 426064

View attachment 426065

View attachment 426066

View attachment 426069

View attachment 426073

View attachment 426074

View attachment 426075

the treenails are visible only when you get closer - an appearance, which I like: a little bit caulking, a little bit treenails, but not too much

View attachment 426067

View attachment 426068

and a total view

View attachment 426070

View attachment 426071

View attachment 426072

I realized, that some treenails where much lighter than others, so a small correction will be necessary and I will make on some spots new nails, but I am happy with the overall result

Many Thanks for your interest ...... to be continued ..... I am looking forward to read about your opinion, positive but also negative

Now that’s what I call a result. After all the work that you’ve put into that hull you must be really pleased, be proud to show it off.

Hello Uwe, first of all wow, great work. Clou's treatment really brings it out. As for replacing the treenails, I agree with Mirek, it will be difficult to be 100% accurate and you could end up damaging more. Over time I think it will disappear in the overall look as the wood darkens.

eZy Watermark_05-01-2023_12-59-47PM.jpeg

Here is an example inside La Palme, when will always see it. The drill runs and you are off by 1/10 and get a double nail. With La Palme it's not bad because the center mast foot covers most of it, with you it's the chocolate side.

Many Thanks to all for participation and all the comments - and off course also the likes received

In the meantime all the treenails are installed (I did not count them, but a lot) and I sanded the outer hull and treated it with one layer of CLOU - it coming out nicely ......

Somehow boring (for some) to see a finished planking, but I like it, so maybe I posted too much photos of the result

View attachment 426064

View attachment 426065

View attachment 426066

View attachment 426069

View attachment 426073

View attachment 426074

View attachment 426075

the treenails are visible only when you get closer - an appearance, which I like: a little bit caulking, a little bit treenails, but not too much

View attachment 426067

View attachment 426068

and a total view

View attachment 426070

View attachment 426071

View attachment 426072

I realized, that some treenails where much lighter than others, so a small correction will be necessary and I will make on some spots new nails, but I am happy with the overall result

Many Thanks for your interest ...... to be continued ..... I am looking forward to read about your opinion, positive but also negative
Hello Uwe,
congratulation - the discreet treenailing looks great. The eyes can follow the running of the planks without stumbling. Did you try the method Bernard Frölich recommends in his book L'Art de Modelisme (A.N.C.R.E./ Hubert Berti). It's a lot less work I think.
Karl Ingwer

View attachment 426064

View attachment 426065

View attachment 426066

View attachment 426069

View attachment 426073

View attachment 426074

View attachment 426075

View attachment 426067

View attachment 426068

and a total view

View attachment 426070

View attachment 426071

View attachment 426072

To me the planking and trennels look perfect. Magnificent work - cheers.

View attachment 426064

View attachment 426065

View attachment 426066

View attachment 426069

View attachment 426073

View attachment 426074

View attachment 426075

View attachment 426067

View attachment 426068

and a total view

View attachment 426070

View attachment 426071

View attachment 426072

That is not boring at all, Uwe. The look is subtly beautiful.
Regards, Peter

Many Thanks to @dockattner , @Mirek , @Ken , @Keef , @Tobias , @kaliboot , @Steef66 , @Herman , @ConsNZ , @Peter Voogt , @Nomad and @RogerD for all your kind words - highly appreciated
and also off course to everybody given a like on my last post
Hello Uwe, first of all wow, great work. Clou's treatment really brings it out. As for replacing the treenails, I agree with Mirek, it will be difficult to be 100% accurate and you could end up damaging more. Over time I think it will disappear in the overall look as the wood darkens.

I wouldn't improve the pinning, it's ok, but it's your model, do what your heart dictates. Regards, Mirek

I could not stop and had to make the small corrections - with a small push with the needle / scriber in the center of the "old" treenail it will work - better was working well -> see my next post

Did you try the method Bernard Frölich recommends in his book L'Art de Modelisme (A.N.C.R.E./ Hubert Berti). It's a lot less work I think.
Karl Ingwer
Hallo Karl Ingwer, many thanks for looking and commenting - Yes I tried once also Frölichs method, but from my feeling it is much more work - but it is subjective

BTW What are those 3 bulges underneath the keel? Or is that only for protection during the build, later to be removed?
These 3 bulges are some overmaterial prepared under the keel - with this the keel is in the beginning fixed into the jig, so not movement can happen - now it is a protection against some damages of the keel - later on, when everything is finished I will remove them and install the false keel

IMG_0091.jpg

here you can see the notches in the baseplate
IMG_0094.jpg

As far as I can see is no false keel planned for the model. If you want to install the two false keels of Granado, you have to mill a part of the keel away.
As the shown keel joint is not English practice I would only cut the notches away and let the small simplification.

For a short time my hull was looking like a brown Hedgehog

IMG_4184.jpg

you see, I did not make a change of so much of the treenails ..... and nowhere (puh) damages made by the drill

The final result

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

only some last touch with a fine steelwool will be done

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

Now I can start with the interior works of the lower part - JuHu

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....

La perceuse a beaucoup travaillé. Quel diamètre de foret avez vous utilisé?
Très beau travail! Félicitations!

The drill worked a lot. What diameter drill bit did you use?
Very nice job! Congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator:
For a short time my hull was looking like a brown Hedgehog

View attachment 426843

you see, I did not make a change of so much of the treenails ..... and nowhere (puh) damages made by the drill

The final result

View attachment 426844

View attachment 426845

only some last touch with a fine steelwool will be done

View attachment 426846

View attachment 426847

View attachment 426848

View attachment 426849

View attachment 426850

View attachment 426851

Now I can start with the interior works of the lower part - JuHu

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....
'subtle' be the name of the build.

Back