HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

One question about the fit between the upper part on the lower part. It looks that on the stern and stem the wood is not fit right. Does the wood work or is it not just put in the right way together.
Hallo my friend,
you are absolutely correct at the stern part - it is not fitting 100% only 99%

One reason is the still not adjusted planking at the stem which you can see at the older photo - the red arrows

IMG_4129a.jpg

and in addition, the green arrow is showing to the approximate location where some inner laying knees and also hanging knees are slightly hindering that both parts are fitting the last 1%

IMG_2419b.jpg

I was thinking about to adjust as much as possible, but in the next working steps
I have to add in addition internal walls which will be fixed in the lower hull, but have notches in the top (of the wall elements) which have to fit between the beams and carlings etc. of the upper part of the hull
=> This 100% perfection will be never possible, that all elements will fit - never ever - so I decided to stop adjusting the knees
Defintely the upper part of the hull will be appr. 20cm above the lower half of the hull -> so never ever somebody can recognize it
I am afraid when I try, that I make it worse.....

=> and I am ok with it, that you know it - it fits for 99% and this is ok, I think

Defintely the upper part of the hull will be appr. 20cm above the lower half of the hull -> so never ever somebody can recognize it
I am afraid when I try, that I make it worse.....
Leave it like it is, 20 cm above nobody will notice indeed. Fixing it, I agree, sometimes you can make things more worse. I just wonder if the glue was the reason of the gap. Believe me, my HZ model is also not that correct like pictures sometimes show. There are a lot of imperfections.

OK - where did I loose the last 18 months?
It is already 18 months ago, that I prepared temporary some elements of the interior of the Granado

So I had two important recognitions
1) Time is running
2) It is good to make a regular building log, so you can take a look back in history in order check what you have made already - Hope to find all parts

Most important are the mortar beds and the mortar base structures (still only dry-fit)

IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

Now I mark them and the order, so I know .....

IMG_4204.jpg

and after some time I recoignized, that also at the internal planking some of the treenails are not nice - so - it was hammer-time

IMG_4205.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued ......

Super, félicitations. Ca donne envie de se lancer sur ce projet.
Grandes félicitations. Cela me donne envie de me lancer dans ce projet.

Great, congratulations. It makes me want to get started on this project.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tested how the upper parts fits at the beams? If I look to the photos I think that you will have there a small problem. The lower part of the beams are smaller the top.
Hallo Christian, which beams do you mean? keep in mind, that I will present the model splitted, but I would like to respond and check your point

So the mortars will stay with the bottom half and the top half will have two big holes?
This way of presnetation was only to remind to myself, how the parts would be located and work together before I start to fix them.
I plan in moment, that the mortars with the wooden bases will be on the upper part of the model and only the beams on top of the mortar beam structure at the lower one

something like this shown with the arrows
red - upper part of the hull
green - lower part of the hull

IMG_4199aa.jpg

somehow shown on the NMM-museum model - but I will leave the 2 times 6 heavy beams at the lower part

l5780_003.jpg

l5780_003a.jpg

Granado_bomb_vessel_modelb.jpg

going further, better re-starting the interior works

not really in scale ;) but I decided to use here some "bolts" to fix the floor riders finally on the keel - here I did not trust the glue alone

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

In the kit 50 brass mortar shots are included

IMG_4200.jpg

blackened they are looking more realistic

IMG_4201.jpg

In reality these shots or shells had two handles / lifting lugs and a fuse hole ......

IMG-8862.jpg

but when these shells are stored in the hold in the racks it will be hardly visible that the shells are are only round balls .....

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4228.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

Witaj
Zgadzam się z kolegami wszystko wygląda pięknie. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
I agree with my colleagues, everything looks beautiful. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:

not really in scale ;) but I decided to use here some "bolts" to fix the floor riders finally on the keel - here I did not trust the glue alone

View attachment 429017

View attachment 429018

View attachment 429015

View attachment 429016

In reality these shots or shells had two handles / lifting lugs and a fuse hole ......

View attachment 429021

but when these shells are stored in the hold in the racks it will be hardly visible that the shells are are only round balls .....

View attachment 429019

View attachment 429020

It is looking really good Uwe. Those shot racks and the riders make an impressive structure. You can only imagine what that must have looked like in real life

View attachment 429017

View attachment 429018

View attachment 429015

View attachment 429016

View attachment 429021

View attachment 429019

View attachment 429020

Soooo good!

Back