HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Yesterday I was also able to finalize my kit review with the third part

Due to the fact, that I still do not decide what and how I will do the fore platform,
I moved to the aft platform - maybe here the decision process is easier ;)

These are the related drawings and sketches shown in Goodwins Anatomy book

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg IMG_0730.jpg

We have also some close up photos of the already mentioned superb model

Screenshot 2022-09-14 170740.png

Screenshot 2022-09-14 170903.png

CAF prepared some templates which have to be fixed in correct slots of the temporary bukhead templates which were already used in the past for the correct height of the clamps - so multi-use of them

Here you can see the small beams for the platform laying on the two templates - with this you can easily define the correct location in longitudinal direction (fore - aft) and also the correct height
IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Here you can see one of the platforms already fixed on the beams

IMG_0573.jpg

under the platform in the hold are two small storage rooms - later on the platform with the attached walls have to be turned upside down

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

I wish you all a nice weekend .... and many thanks for the interest in my building log ..... to be continued .....

Due to the fact, that I still do not decide what and how I will do the fore platform,
I moved to the aft platform - maybe here the decision process is easier ;)

These are the related drawings and sketches shown in Goodwins Anatomy book

View attachment 330160

View attachment 330159 View attachment 330161

We have also some close up photos of the already mentioned superb model

View attachment 330162

View attachment 330163

CAF prepared some templates which have to be fixed in correct slots of the temporary bukhead templates which were already used in the past for the correct height of the clamps - so multi-use of them

Here you can see the small beams for the platform laying on the two templates - with this you can easily define the correct location in longitudinal direction (fore - aft) and also the correct height
View attachment 330164

View attachment 330165

Here you can see one of the platforms already fixed on the beams

View attachment 330166

under the platform in the hold are two small storage rooms - later on the platform with the attached walls have to be turned upside down

View attachment 330167

View attachment 330168

I wish you all a nice weekend .... and many thanks for the interest in my building log ..... to be continued .....
Sorry Uwe, are these two details removed?

IMG_0573.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo friends,
first of all many thanks to all comments and all the likes received - much appreciated

Some smaller progress to show

One sleeper was partly hanging in the air, so I added one small part of an additional inner plank with treenailing (lighter wood) and also some smaller "plank-segments" where later on the beams of the platform are founded - in my opinion it is looking better or technical more correct

IMG_0586.jpg

the two small platforms - here a ladder was also prepared

IMG_0595.jpg

here with a template for the bulkhead wall in order to check or adjust the form

IMG_0596.jpg

this bulkhead template is used to prepare the final wall with the single boards

IMG_0599.jpg

the final result

IMG_0652.jpg

Many Thanks for the interest in my work .... to be continued .....

Hallo friends,
first of all many thanks to all comments and all the likes received - much appreciated

Some smaller progress to show

One sleeper was partly hanging in the air, so I added one small part of an additional inner plank with treenailing (lighter wood) and also some smaller "plank-segments" where later on the beams of the platform are founded - in my opinion it is looking better or technical more correct

View attachment 330720

the two small platforms - here a ladder was also prepared

View attachment 330721

here with a template for the bulkhead wall in order to check or adjust the form

View attachment 330722

this bulkhead template is used to prepare the final wall with the single boards

View attachment 330723

the final result

View attachment 330724

Many Thanks for the interest in my work .... to be continued .....
Beautiful work Uwe,

Cheers,
Stephen.

a next small step with two bigger steps

The mast steps were prepared and "bolted" (according the pattern shown in Goodwins book)

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

the second one - still dry fitted, the correct location will be defined later on

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

In the meantime I installed also the 3mm thick main clamps for the deck beams - unfortunately I forgot to make some photos, but partly it was already shown in earlier posts.
These clamps received also the square bolts

with the final installed clamps I had the chance to dryfit the main deck beams and made a first test with the mast-stumps
btw: the wooden elements with the mast holes, installed between two beams are once more templates included in the kit - with them, an angle of 2° of the mast, the correct location of the mast-steps will be defined

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

a next small step with two bigger steps

The mast steps were prepared and "bolted" (according the pattern shown in Goodwins book)

View attachment 330989

View attachment 330992

the second one - still dry fitted, the correct location will be defined later on

View attachment 330990

View attachment 330991

In the meantime I installed also the 3mm thick main clamps for the deck beams - unfortunately I forgot to make some photos, but partly it was already shown in earlier posts.
These clamps received also the square bolts

with the final installed clamps I had the chance to dryfit the main deck beams and made a first test with the mast-stumps
btw: the wooden elements with the mast holes, installed between two beams are once more templates included in the kit - with them, an angle of 2° of the mast, the correct location of the mast-steps will be defined

View attachment 330993

View attachment 330994

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....
Good morning Uwek. Your build is on another level- I don’t think I would ever get there. I have huge admiration for you guys who build like this. Cheers Grant

Step by step it is getting closer to the decision how, when and where I have to cut my ships hull horizontal to get the two segments

As you know I plan to present my model somehow similar like the Leighton model

l5780_002.jpg

l5780_004.jpg

I am still on the beginning of this Brainstorming - in moment it is still a storm in my brain

So the first decision will be "WHERE" can I make the cut, including the definition, which parts will be installed at the lower part and which elements will be fixed to the upper part of the ships model

First the appr. line for the cut on the CAF-drawing

The cut will be slightly under the clamps of the main deck but over the clamps for the mortar bed beams

Screenshot 2022-09-30 105529a.jpg

This height is also confirmed by the the photos of the model

Screenshot 2022-09-14 170903.png

Here we can see that the leighton model is partly simplified close to the stern

Screenshot 2022-09-14 170740.png

The model Tom from CAF was showing (I do not know, who is the modeler of this one) has the devision also in this height.

Screenshot 2022-09-19 162844a.png

So let us concentrate first on the aft area

IMG_0680.jpg

These are the sketches from Goodwin, marked in red with the appr. planned cutting line

IMG_0590a.jpg

We can see, that the after cabin deck will be part of the upper ships segment (the deck marked with "21" in the first sketch above, so also the six small deck beams marked with green arrows have to be part of the upper segment

The skecth from Goodwin showing the after cabin deck plan and also the six beams

IMG_0727a.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

so the next step will be the praparation of this after cabin deck structure with beams, carlings and laying knees.

The following photo is showing the six beams with the prepared notches for the carlings

IMG_0724.jpg

Ready for finetuning ....

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

to be continued ..... and btw many thanks for your interest in my build

View attachment 331372

These are the sketches from Goodwin, marked in red with the appr. planned cutting line

View attachment 331371

We can see, that the after cabin deck will be part of the upper ships segment (the deck marked with "21" in the first sketch above, so also the six small deck beams marked with green arrows have to be part of the upper segment

The skecth from Goodwin showing the after cabin deck plan and also the six beams

View attachment 331374

View attachment 331375

so the next step will be the praparation of this after cabin deck structure with beams, carlings and laying knees.

The following photo is showing the six beams with the prepared notches for the carlings

View attachment 331373

View attachment 331376

View attachment 331377

Good afternoon Uwe, I ask, the Baglietto estate is not on the Baglio, why? I think that makes 1664542634436.jpeg

View attachment 331372

View attachment 331371

View attachment 331374

View attachment 331375

View attachment 331373

View attachment 331376

View attachment 331377

A bold decision to cut your ship. I know you determined to do this from the beginning but reality is not always actualized along with the dream. I wish you success Uwe!

Back