HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

going further, better re-starting the interior works

not really in scale ;) but I decided to use here some "bolts" to fix the floor riders finally on the keel - here I did not trust the glue alone

View attachment 429017

View attachment 429018

In the kit 50 brass mortar shots are included

View attachment 429015

blackened they are looking more realistic

View attachment 429016

In reality these shots or shells had two handles / lifting lugs and a fuse hole ......

View attachment 429021

but when these shells are stored in the hold in the racks it will be hardly visible that the shells are are only round balls .....

View attachment 429019

View attachment 429020

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....
A secured base for those mortar shells, Uwe.
Regards, Peter

going further, better re-starting the interior works

not really in scale ;) but I decided to use here some "bolts" to fix the floor riders finally on the keel - here I did not trust the glue alone

View attachment 429017

View attachment 429018

In the kit 50 brass mortar shots are included

View attachment 429015

blackened they are looking more realistic

View attachment 429016

In reality these shots or shells had two handles / lifting lugs and a fuse hole ......

View attachment 429021

but when these shells are stored in the hold in the racks it will be hardly visible that the shells are are only round balls .....

View attachment 429019

View attachment 429020

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....
Bowling anyone? I never knew of lifting handles myself. And a beechwood fuse.....

Many Thanks to @RogerD , @Jimsky , @Mirek , @Keef , @GrantTyler , @profmomo , @Peter Voogt , @dnalley and @janos for your kind comments and replies and all others for the received likes - but in generalö to everybody reading my posts in this building logs -

Many Many thanks for your interest

....I had never heard of lifting handles/lugs so it’s time for me to do some homework :).

Bowling anyone? I never knew of lifting handles myself. And a beechwood fuse.....

These shells were extremely heavy, so they could not be handled without such handles

IMG-8856.jpg

IMG-8861.jpg

maybe also interesting to read - excerpts from the Anatomy book by Goodwin

IMG-8857.jpg IMG-8858.jpg IMG-8859.jpg IMG-8860.jpg
....is red Clou used?
Yes I am using on this model in general CLOU for the wood treatment

Last edited:
Bonjour Uweek, merci beaucoup pour ces détails. Je ne pensais pas que les boulets aient été aussi pesants. C'est pour cela qu'ils sont stockés en fond de cale.

Hello Uweek, thank you very much for these details. I didn't think the cannonballs were so heavy. This is why they are stored in the hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many Thanks to @RogerD , @Jimsky , @Mirek , @Keef , @GrantTyler , @profmomo , @Peter Voogt , @dnalley and @janos for your kind comments and replies and all others for the received likes - but in generalö to everybody reading my posts in this building logs -

Many Many thanks for your interest

These shells were extremely heavy, so they could not be handled without such handles

View attachment 429365

View attachment 429370

maybe also interesting to read - excerpts from the Anatomy book by Goodwin

View attachment 429366 View attachment 429367

View attachment 429368 View attachment 429369

Yes I am using on this model in general CLOU for the wood treatment

Thanks for providing this very interesting information Uwe. It’s fascinating to read the table showing the range of the various mortar shells.

Today I can show you the final works on the shall racks which have to be fixed, before I am able to install the bulkhead walls and the first lower decks

Only some more impressions together with the heavy beams, which have to be on top of the racks

IMG_4229.jpg

this beam has to go appr. 1mm deaper

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

The next step was the sidewalls - and I realized, that I made an error when I finished the racks
the four wooden boards have to be between the base and the top - so I installed the small boards in which the shells are laying not correctly

IMG_4246.jpg

in the sketch you can see how it would be correct

IMG_4247.jpg

Two possibilities
- a complete disassembling - or
- maybe it is possible with some sanding ...... not correct aligned, but I was afraid, that with dissassembling I destroy more...

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

the other mortar base

IMG_4254.jpg

and the back side, which will be completely closed

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

Now I can move fore, to install the bulkhead and the lower deck

Many thanks for your interest .....

Hi Uwek, How many plate "5A" was inside your KIT?? In mine was only one. I can bilt only one bullet case???

Today I can show you the final works on the shall racks which have to be fixed, before I am able to install the bulkhead walls and the first lower decks

Only some more impressions together with the heavy beams, which have to be on top of the racks

View attachment 429731

this beam has to go appr. 1mm deaper

View attachment 429732

View attachment 429733

The next step was the sidewalls - and I realized, that I made an error when I finished the racks
the four wooden boards have to be between the base and the top - so I installed the small boards in which the shells are laying not correctly

View attachment 429734

in the sketch you can see how it would be correct

View attachment 429735

Two possibilities
- a complete disassembling - or
- maybe it is possible with some sanding ...... not correct aligned, but I was afraid, that with dissassembling I destroy more...

View attachment 429736

View attachment 429737

View attachment 429739

the other mortar base

View attachment 429740

and the back side, which will be completely closed

View attachment 429738

View attachment 429742

View attachment 429741

Now I can move fore, to install the bulkhead and the lower deck

Many thanks for your interest .....
Good morning Uwek. I concur with my fellow members. Impressive. Cheers Grant

Very good Job Uwe. One question. In my Kit N° 2 I have only one 5A. I cannot made 2 bullets store because I have not colums 5A for bilt the second one. Inside your box 2, how many 5A were??? because you have bilt 2 bullets store?

Hi Uwek, How many plate "5A" was inside your KIT?? In mine was only one. I can bilt only one bullet case???
There were two of this sheet in the kit - but be aware, that this sheet has two "names" 5A and 4B
IMG-7616.jpg
This photo I published in the kit review

If it is missing you have to contact Tom from CAF to get a second one.

Back