HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Many Thanks for the (until now 25) likes received and the kind words by @Cathber , @AnobiumPunctatum , @Keef , @RDN1954 , @Nomad , @Dean62 , @Kurt Konrath , @GrantTyler and @Peter Gutterman

I like treenails musch more than brass or copper, but it is a lot more work, and some times the result is not so good visible.
I like your nailing scheme Thumbsup
In principle I try on my models to follow the real use in the original ship
where iron bolts were used I use also a metalic "bolt" - here I like copper more than brass, because I am not blackening the bolt heads
where wooden treenails were used on the real ship, there will be also a wooden Toothpick
And when the french made a combination of 50% iron and 50% wooden nails on the outer hull planking -> the model will get also 50 : 50

No it is time for starting the treenailing of the hull planking

I showed already in another topic the sequence of preparing the toothpick treenails

These are to picks I am now using - very good wood (birch) and already relatively spicky ends
IMG_4207.jpg

I devide each pick in two halfs

IMG_4166.jpg

hold the end on top of my drawplate and hit twice or three times with a light hammer (and try not to hit my fingers)

IMG_4150.jpg

this is afterwards the result - in this case appr. 0,52 mm (depending on the hole of the drawplate I choose)

IMG_4165.jpg

My holes predrilled with the offcial 0,5mm Proxxon drills (in real the drill has appr. 0,47mm), so the "treenail" has a slightly wider diameter than the predrilled hole

IMG_4138.jpg

predrilled holes

IMG_4146.jpg

a close up photo

IMG_4167.jpg

the rest is cut away

IMG_4139.jpg

a first fast sanding and made it wet, so we can imagine how the treenails will look like

IMG_4140.jpg

I have luck - I will plank only the half hull -> so it will be "only" approximately 2.600 treenails

many thanks for your interest .... to be continued

Wish you all a nice weekend ....

Bonjour, super rtésultats comme d'habitude.
Votre filière me parait de bonne qualité contrairement a certaines que l'on peur trouver sur le net.
De quel modèle s'agit-il ? ou l'avez vous trouver ?
Autres questions : Vous ne mettez-vous pas une petite pointe de colle sur les pointes avant de les enfoncer ?

Hello, great results as usual.
Your channel seems to me to be of good quality unlike some that can be found on the internet.
What model is this ? where did you find it ?
Other questions: don't you put a small dab of glue on the tips before pushing them in?

Many Thanks for the (until now 25) likes received and the kind words by @Cathber , @AnobiumPunctatum , @Keef , @RDN1954 , @Nomad , @Dean62 , @Kurt Konrath , @GrantTyler and @Peter Gutterman

In principle I try on my models to follow the real use in the original ship
where iron bolts were used I use also a metalic "bolt" - here I like copper more than brass, because I am not blackening the bolt heads
where wooden treenails were used on the real ship, there will be also a wooden Toothpick
And when the french made a combination of 50% iron and 50% wooden nails on the outer hull planking -> the model will get also 50 : 50

No it is time for starting the treenailing of the hull planking

I showed already in another topic the sequence of preparing the toothpick treenails

These are to picks I am now using - very good wood (birch) and already relatively spicky ends
View attachment 423797

I devide each pick in two halfs

View attachment 423795

hold the end on top of my drawplate and hit twice or three times with a light hammer (and try not to hit my fingers)

View attachment 423793

this is afterwards the result - in this case appr. 0,52 mm (depending on the hole of the drawplate I choose)

View attachment 423794

My holes predrilled with the offcial 0,5mm Proxxon drills (in real the drill has appr. 0,47mm), so the "treenail" has a slightly wider diameter than the predrilled hole

View attachment 423789

predrilled holes

View attachment 423792

a close up photo

View attachment 423796

the rest is cut away

View attachment 423790

a first fast sanding and made it wet, so we can imagine how the treenails will look like

View attachment 423791

I have luck - I will plank only the half hull -> so it will be "only" approximately 2.600 treenails

many thanks for your interest .... to be continued

Wish you all a nice weekend ....
I nice option to use the hammer for pointing, Uwe. I turned them into the drawplate with my fingers. But after a few hundred it became sensitive. Okay
Regards, Peter

Witaj
Fajny sposób na robienie kołków, znowu się czegoś nowego nauczyłem. Miłego weekendu z kołkowaniem Uwe. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Nice way to make dowels, I learned something new again. Have a nice quilting weekend Uwe. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Many Thanks to @dockattner , @Steef66 , @Tobias , @Jimsky , @Cathber , @RogerD , @Peter Voogt , @BradNSW , @Herman , @Mirek , @pingu57 , @Peter Gutterman , @shota70 and @profmomo for your kind words and interest in my building log
and also to all others giving a like ...... highly appreciated

take a break when you dream about it at night ROTF
Thanks for the tip, but my family is taking care, that I am not too long in the workshop...... "Papa!!!! Spiel mit mir!!!!!!"

Your channel seems to me to be of good quality unlike some that can be found on the internet.
What model is this ? where did you find it ?
Other questions: don't you put a small dab of glue on the tips before pushing them in?
With filière I guess it is the drawplate?!? - this is a new one ordered from Byrnes

In the past I made a small dott of wood-glue before pushing the treenail into the hole, but in the meantime I realized, that there is no need, especially the hole is slightly smaller in diameter than the treenail
For pushing the dowl into the planking, I uese also this light hammer

I nice option to use the hammer for pointing, Uwe. I turned them into the drawplate with my fingers. But after a few hundred it became sensitive. Okay
Regards, Peter
With this small and light hammer the treenail is "sharpened for a depth of 3 to 4mm with your fingers it is hard to reach.
With this my treenail is minimum the same or longer than the planking thickness, so with sanding you can not reach the end of the treenail
Try it next time with a light juwelier hammer..... much easier

Nice technique. but go easy with the hammer. At that small scale there aren't many wood fibers left to hold together!
The big advantage of the use toothpicks is the fact, that they are made out of birch and not bamboo - with this the dowel is relatively stabile

It is hammer time ......

Dear Uwe. You did an excellent job with the hull planking - perfectly in line with the quality of the rest of the model. It is great to finally see the outcome of how the model is going to be presented - it is always nice to see the visual, real-world impact compared to visualizing it in the mind's eye.

Dear Uwe. You did an excellent job with the hull planking - perfectly in line with the quality of the rest of the model. It is great to finally see the outcome of how the model is going to be presented - it is always nice to see the visual, real-world impact compared to visualizing it in the mind's eye.
Many Thanks @Heinrich for your kind words - hope to see you now more often here in the forum

Back to the treenailing - 2.600 nails sounds like a huge number and with all the preparation ...... I am swinging the hammer carefully :cool:

Some more impressions

Here I tried, if there is any difference in the final result, when I treat the hull (CLOU) with the treenails directly after the cut, compared with CLOU-treatment after the sanding -> but there is no significant difference in the final result

IMG_4147.jpg

the hull is looking like there are growing pimples .....

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

It is hammer time

IMG_4170.jpg

My cat is still not happy with the result - she is very critical sometimes, although she never finished a shipmodel by her own ;)

IMG_4168.jpg

Hope to show you next time the finished treenailing job - good that I make only one side

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued ......

Back