Occre - HMS Revenge 1577 - scale 1/85, 2nd build and why

Hi Richie, I think, Francesco talking about this or a similar tool.

Model Shapeways BLOCK BUSTER - HIGH-SPEED BLOCK SHAPER
Want more realistic and better-looking blocks for your ship model? Then, you need our Blockbuster! The secret is in the sandpaper lining of the cylinder. As you spin the cylinder, the blocks tumble around and rub against the sandpaper, taking on the smooth, rounded shape of real blocks. You can process dozens of blocks at a time. Blockbuster is easy to assemble and operate. Electric drill required for operation.

View attachment 339476

Thanks Jimsky, I sort of tried something similar but just shaking a sandpaper lined container without a drill, it didn't really do much.
Is that a centre spindle that has sandpaper attached that spins from the drill rubbing he blocks against the sandpaper lined container, looking a bit like the image.1667961572559.png

Thanks Jimsky, I sort of tried something similar but just shaking a sandpaper lined container without a drill, it didn't really do much.
Is that a centre spindle that has sandpaper attached that spins from the drill rubbing he blocks against the sandpaper lined container, looking a bit like the image.View attachment 339478
Bingo! It is similar to how the inside of this container looks. Instead, it doesn't have the sandpaper touch the inside walls. I cannot find the image online.

Bingo! It is similar to how the inside of this container looks. Instead, it doesn't have the sandpaper touch the inside walls. I cannot find the image online.
Ok thank you, too late for me on this occasion as I did them all by hand 1 by 1, but if I need more.....

Almost 2 years since I started the build log which in turn was sometime after I started the actual build I find myself at a motivation low to keep going.
I started this build wondering if I had it in me to finish building my second ship, right now maybe the answer is no.
I fiddle with a few bits and pieces and stare at the ship on the table wondering how am I going to push through and get it done.
Perhaps a second wind will come at some point and I will get a roll on.

Revenge Images (8).jpg

In the mean time I still watch and admire the work of many others on this forum.

Wait looking at this photo I could leave as an admiralty model, job done :eek:

Nope I want to have rigging on it some way some how, job not done :(

Dear Richie
I understand you completely, we all have days and periods of less wind in our sails, it's okay to take a break until you get some fresh wind in your sails. For me, you are doing a very impressive job

I couldn’t agreed more with Shota70.
Most probably we all have one or two models in the back burner, but now that you showed us the model, I can honestly say it is a very nice looking model, one that deserves to be finished .

I feel your pain, Richie. There are times when I feel like what lies ahead is overwhelming and that makes me less enthusiastic for what is right in front of me. A break is certainly in order - or maybe take on a small task that can be accomplished (a ship's boat, or the anchors, or whatever) in a short amount of time? Being able to finish something might be momentum building.

But at the end of the day this is supposed to be a hobby and if you're not enjoying the hobby then what's the point? If you're not looking forward to working on your ship today, then find something that gets you excited in the morning. I know - I'm speaking sacrilege on a ship-building forum, but life is more than small boats.

A very recognizable situation Richie. I go through the same with certain projects. I am currently working on Amati's Robert E. Lee riverboat. And guess what, I started the model 14 years ago and after having finished it for 30% I got bored and shelved it. 3 months ago I suddenly found interest again and am now working again on the model which is now already 60%. In the meantime, I did other projects, some smaller ones, some bigger ones.
Don't forget that this is a hobby, not a job with a deadline. Sometimes I have a whole year where I'm not at my workbench & at the same time, such a year creates eagerness to build again. Some days I can sit at my workbench and only work 10 minutes on the model and find out I'm not really in the mood. At such times I just let go; the project does not 'run away' you know.
Let the project rest for a while, your interest and hunger to finish her will come back. Maybe try a different project, something small, not too complicated & build it out of the box. It may not be as elaborate as the beautiful ship you're building, but you will have the gratifying feeling of having finished a project.

Almost 2 years since I started the build log which in turn was sometime after I started the actual build I find myself at a motivation low to keep going.
I started this build wondering if I had it in me to finish building my second ship, right now maybe the answer is no.
I fiddle with a few bits and pieces and stare at the ship on the table wondering how am I going to push through and get it done.

View attachment 380783

In the mean time I still watch and admire the work of many others on this forum.

Richie, that's the nature of building these complicated models. They take a LONG time. However, if you return after several months and spend one afternoon on it, you will be surprised how much you get done! I'm in a lull right now too. I have to learn 3-D software and start making hull decorations for the waist bulkhead before I move on or access to that area will be restricted. Trouble is, other things in life have taken my time up. However, the model will NOT be abandoned, just resumed at a later date once the preparations for the next steps are complete. Right now you are at a stage where the type of work has changed from wood working and hull details to rigging, and that's rather scary if you haven't done it before, hence the hesitation. Once you get some stays and shrouds done, your interest will go up again.

View attachment 380783

Good morning Richie. Yep she does look beautiful and could be an admiralty model. The doldrums are a sailor’s nightmare…..the wind will pick up again. Good to hear from you again. Cheers Grant

Dear Richie
I understand you completely, we all have days and periods of less wind in our sails, it's okay to take a break until you get some fresh wind in your sails. For me, you are doing a very impressive job
Thank you shota70, although it has been a long brake with not much activity.

I couldn’t agreed more with Shota70.
Most probably we all have one or two models in the back burner, but now that you showed us the model, I can honestly say it is a very nice looking model, one that deserves to be finished .
Thank you for those kind words Bluebeard, surly one day it will be finished.

I feel your pain, Richie. There are times when I feel like what lies ahead is overwhelming and that makes me less enthusiastic for what is right in front of me. A break is certainly in order - or maybe take on a small task that can be accomplished (a ship's boat, or the anchors, or whatever) in a short amount of time? Being able to finish something might be momentum building.

But at the end of the day this is supposed to be a hobby and if you're not enjoying the hobby then what's the point? If you're not looking forward to working on your ship today, then find something that gets you excited in the morning. I know - I'm speaking sacrilege on a ship-building forum, but life is more than small boats.
Thank you for the encouragement Paul and feeling my pain :)
Looking back over the last year or so there has been a few small parts worked on the ship and I completed a deck canon for the exact reason you mentioned.

Maybe in truth a lot has been a bit lacklustre lately, since my bike crash being immobilised for a while ones vulnerability when 60+ comes to the fore but I shouldn't complain it really isn't that bad.

Funny thing about building small boats I am not a boat person at all but the majestic sail boats back in the day have an appeal to me, I just wouldn't want to be a sailor on one.Ship-1

My other passion is rally cars which we are in a winter break at the moment.

A very recognizable situation Richie. I go through the same with certain projects. I am currently working on Amati's Robert E. Lee riverboat. And guess what, I started the model 14 years ago and after having finished it for 30% I got bored and shelved it. 3 months ago I suddenly found interest again and am now working again on the model which is now already 60%. In the meantime, I did other projects, some smaller ones, some bigger ones.
Don't forget that this is a hobby, not a job with a deadline. Sometimes I have a whole year where I'm not at my workbench & at the same time, such a year creates eagerness to build again. Some days I can sit at my workbench and only work 10 minutes on the model and find out I'm not really in the mood. At such times I just let go; the project does not 'run away' you know.
Let the project rest for a while, your interest and hunger to finish her will come back. Maybe try a different project, something small, not too complicated & build it out of the box. It may not be as elaborate as the beautiful ship you're building, but you will have the gratifying feeling of having finished a project.
Thank you Leysend, I can definitely relate, my first ship from starting and realising I didn't have the skills to completing it 25 years later with the help of the internet.
Wouldn't it be great to flick a switch and turn on the hunger again, hopefully it will happen soon to get right back into it and you are correct it's a hobby so I don't feel any timeline pressure just don't want it to be another 25 years.;)
There has been a little bit of progress over the last few months working on the blocks getting ready for the rigging and I did complete a deck canon a while ago to mix things up and feel a sense of accomplishment.
Good luck with your Robert E. Lee build hopefully you continue till it's completed.

Richie, that's the nature of building these complicated models. They take a LONG time. However, if you return after several months and spend one afternoon on it, you will be surprised how much you get done! I'm in a lull right now too. I have to learn 3-D software and start making hull decorations for the waist bulkhead before I move on or access to that area will be restricted. Trouble is, other things in life have taken my time up. However, the model will NOT be abandoned, just resumed at a later date once the preparations for the next steps are complete. Right now you are at a stage where the type of work has changed from wood working and hull details to rigging, and that's rather scary if you haven't done it before, hence the hesitation. Once you get some stays and shrouds done, your interest will go up again.
Thank you Kurt, yes they do take a long time and this one for me more that I thought it would when starting it.
I did notice you have gone a bit quiet with your updates, now I understand with you learning 3d software before being able to progress, I imagine the learning curve is steep, good luck with that.
Exactly the hull woodwork has stopped which I enjoyed and attention has now turned to the rigging which is frankly a bit scary to me and a big reason for the road block, I am taking some small steps so hopefully soon it will turn into a full sprint.
You are a wise man and I think correct in saying once the stays and shrouds are done it will be full steam ahead so to speak.

Good morning Richie. Yep she does look beautiful and could be an admiralty model. The doldrums are a sailor’s nightmare…..the wind will pick up again. Good to hear from you again. Cheers Grant
Thank you Grant.
An admiralty model would be the easy way out, no I wanted to build a ship with sails so sails it will have (well one day;)) when the wind picks up.
I do notice you have been busy on this forum and you work is amazing, I sit back in awe keep it up.

Back