Occre - HMS Revenge 1577 - scale 1/85, 2nd build and why

The lantern has been an my mind for a while now, it's not obvious to me if there should be one on the Revenge or not, many images/paintings of ship models from the 1500's era don't have one so I think it's a 50/50 call, interestingly this very early depiction of the Revenge is showing a lantern but then again it also shows 3 masts and I have 4 on my model, hmmm.

Revenge Paintings (2).jpg

Without originally really thinking about it I went down the path of including it but the kit lantern I couldn't get looking right with it's rough casting and the new lantern I brought didn't really suit either.

Lanterns.jpg

So I made the new one look more like the kit one and rightly or wrongly it's going to be included.

Lantern (1).jpgLantern (2).jpg

The lantern has been an my mind for a while now, it's not obvious to me if there should be one on the Revenge or not, many images/paintings of ship models from the 1500's era don't have one so I think it's a 50/50 call, interestingly this very early depiction of the Revenge is showing a lantern but then again it also shows 3 masts and I have 4 on my model, hmmm.

View attachment 312009

Without originally really thinking about it I went down the path of including it but the kit lantern I couldn't get looking right with it's rough casting and the new lantern I brought didn't really suit either.

View attachment 312008

So I made the new one look more like the kit one and rightly or wrongly it's going to be included.

View attachment 312010View attachment 312011
Good morning Richie- those kit lanterns:confused:. The Mantua Victory looks almost like your OcCre one. Why they just don’t provide realistic ones is beyond me. Well done on scratch making your own- that is also beyond me;) .Nice! Cheers Grant

That's actually quite a nice improvement for no cost (shipping aftermarket blocks to Oz is probably pretty expensive).
Well, no cost other than hours of time...
Thanks Paul but oh so much time, need to find a way to speed up the production line instead of sanding my fingers and continually picking the blocks up after dropping them.

Wow, that is serious dedication Richie - the results though, will be well worth the effort.
Thanks Heinrich, I think madness has set in. :D
But if I do manage to get through all of them hopefully the overall look will be worth it.

Yes I tried that but if the wire is too stiff it wont grip the block well enough to sand and if it's too soft it's not enough stable enough to sand it, perhaps there is a middle ground somewhere but I haven't found it yet, and with these small blocks the wire gets in the way quite a lot,

Good to see you back at the bench, Richie!

Good to see you back at the bench, Richie!
Thank you Heinrich, I look and fiddle a bit but haven't made much progress for a while, I am trying to get these deadeyes in place so I can dive into the rigging.

Hi Richie, you have a try with a jar with solos inside and introduce the blocks, shaking the jar, after a 3/4 minutes you see the result, seeing is believing
Hi Frank48, can you please explain solos or provide a picture, interested to know what you mean.

Hi Frank48, can you please explain solos or provide a picture, interested to know what you mean.
Hi Richie, I think, Francesco talking about this or a similar tool.

Model Shapeways BLOCK BUSTER - HIGH-SPEED BLOCK SHAPER
Want more realistic and better-looking blocks for your ship model? Then, you need our Blockbuster! The secret is in the sandpaper lining of the cylinder. As you spin the cylinder, the blocks tumble around and rub against the sandpaper, taking on the smooth, rounded shape of real blocks. You can process dozens of blocks at a time. Blockbuster is easy to assemble and operate. Electric drill required for operation.

1667947610250.png

Back