OCCRE Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza - Manila Galleon at 1/46

Glad that El Capi called this thread back. I have done some work in this model too, not much because I am now more focused on the Prince of Neuchâtel, but I intend to come back to the Ntra Snra very soon.

Meanwhile I replaced the doors supplied in the kit with more decent ones. True that they are hardly seen, but I know that they are there and I am happy with that.

View attachment 130530

wood is tile.

View attachment 130531

View attachment 130532

View attachment 130533

and in place.

View attachment 130534

as you can see, they are really hardly seen.

View attachment 130535

View attachment 130536

Boack to this buid soon.

regards

JL
Again well build Cabins and Doors. well done mate
here you can see the door frames out of scala. I cut it around the edge
as I have mentioned before, you are now - like me - tween building a kit and scrap build. I like your last images very much. Maybe the door frame is a little out of scale, but here you decide

and inserted then the frames. It looks better

Some more work on the "Beast"

I have spend a lot of time on this model not only building but also thinking what to do, how to do and when to do it...

It has been some fun, mainly trying to find the best sequence to be followed. There is a lot of things that must be done before another lot of things can be started :p what drives to some more things and the supplied instruction are useless.

But it is fun, so no complains...

I noticed that one of the gunports was out of alignement, but it is corrected now.

View attachment 79008

(Forgot to take a picture after the correction, so believe my word)

Small details, but I think this hobby is mainly about small details.

I can't start planking the hull, because I need to have access to the inside of the lower row of gunports to add the support for the half guns supplied. But to do that I need to have the bow prepared so that I can plank the lower row and that planking end at the false keel at the bow. So the bow needs to be taken care off.

I prefer to fill the bow and stern with balsa. Like that I have a good surface to glue the planks to and I have a good idea how the planks must be curved. Balsa is ok for this, the rest of the hull will be (eventually) filled with blue foam since the curves have much larger radius.

Things that must be done before another things, see?

Ugly...

View attachment 79026

Prettier, after a lot of sanding.

View attachment 79027

But I can't fill the rest of the hull with foam and balsa yet... because I need to have access to the interior of the gunports... So maybe latter...

Better deal with those damn gunports.

But before dealing with the LOWER row of gunports I need to deal with the UPPER row. These are already planked and the gunports are already opened, besides, finishing them allows me to glue the supports for the half guns, that needed to be painted in black.

Each side of the upper rows has 6 false guns (or half guns) and five full guns, with carriage and all). Problem: Before gluing the back cover of the holes, I want to drill the holes to support the support :)p:p) of the guns, that is the little wire at the end of the guns.

Another problem: I want all the guns to be aligned at the same height in each gunport. To do so, I need to know at what height and angle of the full cannons in order to... you know. Remember what I said about small details? :rolleyes:

At the same time I need to deal with the gunport frames, because only after gluing them in place can I place the covers of the false guns gunports (the ones that are going to be painted in black and drilled with the right angle and height... Did I mention my headaches??

These frames are not indicated in the instructions, but as anything else is indicated in the instructions i didn´t care very much. But they are shown in the photos of the complete model and even if they weren't (here comes the small details - or not so small ones) I'd represent them because, for what I have seen in your models, that they must exist in a ship of that era.

Well, thinking again, each gunport has 4 frames, times 11 gunports times 4 rows of gunports, if my math is correct I have to deal with 176 small pieces of wood. I'd better forget it, but I am stubborn, so carry on...

In conclusion, I had to build (and measure) a cannon so that I can... you know...

The cannons are not very bad, all considered, and so aren't the carriages. Except for that small piece that is the wedge that is placed below the gun to adjust it in height (sorry, I am not very good with english nautical terms. For me it is a wedge with a small piece to hold it in it (again I don't know the name).

They wanted me to cut those wedges out of tha damn filth koto wood, the one that is soft and makes no sawdust.

Out came some proper wood that I sawed to measure and cut the raw wedges that were than sanded to shape.

View attachment 79009 View attachment 79010 View attachment 79011 View attachment 79012

I lost one or two to the carpet monster (I suppose that there is also a carpet monster in this hobby, it is very commom in the plastic modeller's houses).

Not bad when in place.

View attachment 79014 View attachment 79015

Made the rest of them for the upper deck carriages

View attachment 79016 View attachment 79017

and built the rest of the carriages.

View attachment 79018 View attachment 79019

Now, for the small holds on the wedges. Occre only supplies them for the upper deck guns and the pieces suppliedis not that good, so I decided to make some myself for the first row of cannons since they remain at sight.

View attachment 79020 View attachment 79021 View attachment 79022 View attachment 79023 View attachment 79024

Here are the tools needed to make a 0.9mm piece... Some times I doubt my mental sanity, but at my age, there is no remedy now...

View attachment 79025

Well, that important part completed, better deal with those 176 frames. Next step.

Being serious now, I think that I can manage to get a passable model out of this kit. To be honest sometimes I doubted it.

Regards

JL
The 'wedges' are called 'quoins' {pronounced; coins}

Back