Occre Polaris already halfway done [COMPLETED BUILD]

Welcome on board and thanks for sharing your build. I have built the Occre Endeavour and attached the keel after the first layer of hull planking but before applying the 2nd layer. I felt this would give me a better finish as I was able to butt the 2nd layer against the keel. I also drill some holes through the keel into the bottom of my build and pushed small panel pins in to make the keel more stable. The attached image shows the final result. Keep up the good progress.

View attachment 423117
Did you cut a rabbet into the keel?

Did you cut a rabbet into the keel?
No I was not aware of a rabbet at the time. However as the Endeavour has a bluff bow I don’t believe a rabbet is so essential compared to a ship with a more pointed bow as the 2nd layer of hull planking butted up pretty well against the keel.

Very small update, not much time today

Marking the correct length
View attachment 422128
cutting (cheap tool from Amazon)
View attachment 422129
adding white glue (small bottle with a very fine opening...again from Amazon)
View attachment 422130
remove the glue excess first with a tool and then with a wet tissue
View attachment 422131View attachment 422132
...and fix it
View attachment 422133

With the white glue I had the problem that I had to wait some time after every strip for the glue to set. Many strips I had to do twice because I didn't wait long enough and shifted the strips unintentional. So I tried it with nitrocellulose glue (UHU hart). Like with the white glue I always tried to put the correct amount of glue on the strips and then glued it together. It works well, you have to take care for glue stains more, because they are harder to remove as from white glue.
1706377398767.jpeg

The metall parts got a bath of burnishing agent.

PXL_20240127_153941574.jpg

And here now the finished deck construction befor varninshing.
1706378492722.jpeg

There are four more parts to be glued to the outside of the ship. I sanded away the black 'burning marks'. (the upper one befor sanding, the below one after sanding).
PXL_20240127_152108618.jpg

But when using the sapelly dye you see the different layers of the wood. The middle layer is getting much darker. Any idea how to prevent that, other than scratch build these parts?

PXL_20240127_153817551.jpg

Last edited:
With the white glue I had the problem that I had to wait some time after every strip for the glue to set. Many strips I had to do twice because I didn't wait long enough and shifted the strips unintentional. So I tried it with nitrocellulose glue (UHU hart). Like with the white glue I always tried to put the correct amount of glue on the strips and then glued it together. It works well, you have to take care for glue stains more, because they are harder to remove as from white glue.
View attachment 424056

The metall parts got a bath of burnishing agent.

View attachment 424059

And here now the finished deck construction befor varninshing.
View attachment 424060

There are four more parts to be glued to the outside of the ship. I sanded away the black 'burning marks'. (the upper one befor sanding, the below one after sanding).
View attachment 424063

But when using the sapelly dye you see the different layers of the wood. The middle layer is getting much darker. Any idea how to prevent that, other than scratch build these parts?

View attachment 424064

Another point I did before varnishing:
I put sanding paper on the deck and sanded. So it should fit to the longitudinal curve of the deck (thanks @Uwek). So here I should not have a gap like shown in post #7
1706437159441.png

Welcome on board and thanks for sharing your build. I have built the Occre Endeavour and attached the keel after the first layer of hull planking but before applying the 2nd layer. I felt this would give me a better finish as I was able to butt the 2nd layer against the keel. I also drill some holes through the keel into the bottom of my build and pushed small panel pins in to make the keel more stable. The attached image shows the final result. Keep up the good progress.

View attachment 423117

I glued the keel to the hull and then just drilled holes up through the keel into the hull. I then cut the heads off panel pins, put some glue in the holes and then pushed the panel pin in.
Just a comment about occre Polaris. My kit was missing some pieces. When I emailed occre they fedexed the parts to me in the United States. Pretty impressive!!!!

View attachment 423117
I have just started Polaris. Trying to make sure bulkheads fit correctly before glue comes out. Should the top of every bulkhead be even with top of keel. Mine sure aren’t. Thanks

I have just started Polaris. Trying to make sure bulkheads fit correctly before glue comes out. Should the top of every bulkhead be even with top of keel. Mine sure aren’t. Thanks
I, too, just started my build of the Polaris. To answer your question, No they weren't, but it would have been nice if they had been. I also dry-fitted the deck and clamped it in place before gluing the bulkheads. That way I didn't need to worry about misaligned bulkheads.

Hi,
no they waren't. But that's fine as at a later step the 'correct' keel is glued onto this false keel (step J). You have to leave the false keel free of blanks.

I wish you a lot of fun with your Polaris.

Step P done:

Everything glued with CA glue in this step. What you have to take care of here is, that you should use different sizes for the predrilling of the nails (I used 0,2mm) and the eyebolts (0,8mm). If you try to use a 0,2mm for the eyebolts you will bend them...belive me ;)

1706860509975.jpeg
1706862105639.jpeg
1706862135771.jpeg

Step Q - done:
glued together the parts of the anchors with CA glue, painted and varnished them.
Then fighted with the threads. In the end I won (or is it a draw?)

PXL_20240203_095646465.MP.jpgPXL_20240203_095653750.jpg

When I look into the manual the 'easy' part is done now. I fear the fiddely work with threads is not really mine (much to clumsy) and I don't have an idea how the round sanding of the masts and the bowsprit will work

So tapering the mast is the next step:

PXL_20240203_141234922.jpg
This is my first tapering of a mast...
I tried it with a sanding sponge and with my sandingblock. Works fine but in the end it was not really round :(
Then I tried to simulate a lathe with my electric drill:
1707582775181.jpeg
With this the mast is getting quite round...
1707582889483.jpeg
but there are chuck left marks on the wood. No problem here as this piece is not needed.

1707582985588.jpeg
...next try with dymo tape around the mast
1707583043394.jpeg
better...but there is still room for improvement.
With first Tamiya tape and then Dymo tape it worked ok. It is still no lathe, but better (rounder) than just sanding. Is a lathe the next electronic device that is needed? Not sure what my with says if I buy another big tool.

1707583391253.jpeg
Then I made a mistake I think now. I made notches where the blocks are attached. Are you making notches where something is added to the masts? I revied some of the building logs, but didn't find something similar. Or do you have tips to get the sanding round.

1707583662795.jpeg
1707584257711.jpeg

When all masts where in the correct a good shape they got two layers of walnut dye and they are now waiting for the varnish.

1707583866593.png
Is it ok that there is so much space betten the mast and this ???... piece?

1707583954744.png
I added some thin stripes ... is that necessary or would it work without them too?
1707584033841.png
fitts perfect now, but I'm still not sure if it is needed. In the manual pictures it looks like it would work without this stripes too. In other buildlogs I found modellers that where creating this pieces of wood. I think I'm not able to do this.

Step P done:

Everything glued with CA glue in this step. What you have to take care of here is, that you should use different sizes for the predrilling of the nails (I used 0,2mm) and the eyebolts (0,8mm). If you try to use a 0,2mm for the eyebolts you will bend them...belive me ;)

View attachment 425057
View attachment 425059
View attachment 425060
Question for you..your model looks great by the way. I keep studying the stem and realize it should have been cut down. I can’t find anything in the instructions about that.it’s evident that the bowsprit and fashion pieces with not install correctly unless I cut down the stem. Advice?? Thanks

Question for you..your model looks great by the way. I keep studying the stem and realize it should have been cut down. I can’t find anything in the instructions about that.it’s evident that the bowsprit and fashion pieces with not install correctly unless I cut down the stem. Advice?? Thanks
Hi,
I haven't cut down anything from the stem. It was done exactly like shown, I only had to mill the hole for the bowsprit quite a lot.
1708538241762.png1708538160863.png

cheers

work is going on.

I prepared a lot of blocks, attached them to the masts and finished the masts.
1708538330015.jpeg

Next step is the rigging.
1708538427029.jpeg

1708538532810.jpeg

It is working far better than I was expecting it. If you don't look from up close it is still looking fine, but a lot of room for improvement.

Mission completed :cool:

The sails are by far not perfect, it seams some measurements were done wrong.
But I'm really pleased with the outcome of my first ship.

1708803088132.jpeg 1708803248452.jpeg
1708803273842.jpeg 1708803357343.jpeg1708803403879.jpeg 1708803302268.jpeg
1708803429957.jpeg

And as there are some planks left...good job for not destroying too much Thumbsup
1708803491070.jpeg

....Buccaneer is waiting

Back