Opinions please.

For someone who just wants to build a colorful and pleasing Soleil Royal rather than an exact scale model. which manufacturer would you recommend. ZHL or Artesinia?

IMHO, I prefer the Baroque design of ZHL or better yet Sergal than the Fat Cow made by Artesania Latina. The shape of the Artesania model is so far off, it could not float, much less fight. Nigel bashed his Artsania SR to correct the hull shape, so if you want to go that route, refer to his build log.

1700955183809.png1700955033491.png

1700955130055.png1700956410864.png

Last edited:
The ZHL model is very difficult to build, but it looks more realistic. It's definitely better to put in some effort and make something beautiful.

Artesania Latina is wonderful and historically correct, but they made a mistake, and this model should have been 10 cm longer in scale and only after the modification it looks great. https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...ng-artesania-latinas-new-kit-by-nmbrook.9573/

In my opinion 70% ZHL, 30% Artesania Latina.

First of all choose the one with decorations that suits you best. They're all kits so they need a little improvments, question do you want to make them or you don't want any changes and go directly as instruction goes.

ZHL did sth very weird as they designeg this misshapen blob they call castings. It's not they couldn't do it properly as they have very accurate pear decors for Vasa. So as Kurt said Mantua is much better version. On the contrary to previose opinions AL SR has some very uniqe elements that are not available in ANY other SR kit.

If you can accept the mistake in hulls length it has very uniqe and historically accurate decors. It's not 1:1 as beautiful as the Michel Saunier SR, but it's close enough.
Second thing visible guns look accurate and even have some decorations on them. Same thing on balaying pins-reasonably sized.
And like I said before those elements under the grating aren't available in any other kit and are historically accurate. The downside is: a lot of elements from AL is from playwood that just looks cheep and you have to somehow cover this up.

The most important thing in this model is to cover playwood and to not paint the hull or rather paint it tasteful, because without all the ornamentation from Michel Saunier model has too much free space that just look bad with soo much blue on it

Link to build log
SR AL gun barrel.jpg
SR AL guns.jpeg
SR AL balaying pins.jpg
Only in AL model
SR AL bow.jpg
SR AL bow 2.jpg

So far only completed model that is good looking
SR AL finished.jpg
The model AL wanted to base upon
23352B5C-29F1-48DC-819F-EF9BAE75D299.jpeg.382eab26286f712b675299fdc27f3129.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have the money to spare, the AL kit is the best basis to build a good model of the ship. All of the deck furniture is fictional and horribly out of scale. Whomever built the version of the kit above, for The Model Shipyard did a good job of fairing the hull, planking in a mostly correct fashion, and correcting the sheer. The gunport spacing, though, is completely wrong because, as mentioned, the hull is much too short. I think it’s a huge money commitment for these kits, but if you can’t be dissuaded, the AL is the best of the three.

I did the Sergal Soleiel Royal and found the quality of the materials and plans weren't on par with what I paid for. From the build logs I've seen here, I'd go with the ZHL kit but as mentioned above, go slow on the paint.

Exactly! If only! It does raise the question--is it feasible to try 3D printing for the castings? I have no idea how expensive that might be.
Yes. I will be 3-D printing decorations for my current ship project, but it will take many month just to learn the program, and then lots of practice making the models and learning to print them with a 3-D resin printer. It's very slow work.

My two cents......

As you are aware I am building the AL version but have built the Sergal version. The ornamentation of the AL kit is light years ahead than that of Sergals.Especially if buying a new kit. The Mantua group really need to invest in new masters for their lost wax process as they are showing their age and the castings are nowhere near as sharp as they once were.

For me, it is much easier to sort the wood bit and not the decor.

I may be slipping sideways on this but I tend to view not so sharp decorations as “weathered.” My angst is I have no real recourse considering the options so I try to make the kit options look as good as I can. A couple coats of poly over the deco helps smooth the imperfections. After a few months of the finished model on display the imperfect deco is hardly noticed anymore. :)

I may be slipping sideways on this but I tend to view not so sharp decorations as “weathered.” My angst is I have no real recourse considering the options so I try to make the kit options look as good as I can. A couple coats of poly over the deco helps smooth the imperfections. After a few months of the finished model on display the imperfect deco is hardly noticed anymore. :)
I don't know Dan, The worn out Sergal decorations don't look weather, as in dirty to me, they look melted and blobby instead.

I don't know Dan, The worn out Sergal decorations don't look weather, as in dirty to me, they look melted and blobby instead.
Indeed there is a limit to my tolerance as well…in this case I agree…bad casting is bad casting…can’t make excuses…my frustration is it is not easy to replace ship deco from other sources…except maybe the supplemental sets one can get for the more popular models…

Back