Soleil Royal by Artesania Latina

Good to hear you will keep up the work, believe me we all have things to learn, I even see posts from many long time builders who learn a new method or practice with the changing tools and technology out there.

Who would of thought we now have kits with CNC carved parts and 3D printed fittings to aid in planking just a few years ago.
Thankyou , I do have a lot to learn but this seems to be the best place for it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I just had a moment of depression while making comparisons. I am going to.continue the build and I'll continue the log. I may not have a lot of skill but I really am enjoying building this ship.
Feel free to point out errors as it's the only way I will learn.
Good morning Greg. I know your feeling. When I started my Victory I only found this site some months later. My work prior to posting here was a bumbling progress. The guys here are so cool and helpful and I learnt so much that my modeling and fun element increased rapidly. They taught me about “redos”(I do plenty of thoseROTF) and techniques which help so much. I have also made on line friends here. Most important thing for me is the fun factor - it is a hobby and my peaceful place- and the guys here on SOS contribute to that as well. Enjoy. Cheers Grant

Good morning Greg. I know your feeling. When I started my Victory I only found this site some months later. My work prior to posting here was a bumbling progress. The guys here are so cool and helpful and I learnt so much that my modeling and fun element increased rapidly. They taught me about “redos”(I do plenty of thoseROTF) and techniques which help so much. I have also made on line friends here. Most important thing for me is the fun factor - it is a hobby and my peaceful place- and the guys here on SOS contribute to that as well. Enjoy. Cheers Grant
Thanks very much Grant, Your builds are an inspiration for me which I hope to emulate one day. With what I am learning on this site I'm sure I will get there one day :)

Just been doing a few details. Added some decorations to each end of the hand rails as well as the stern.
Finally made the railings and posts at the front of the ship.
I think it came out ok View attachment 376050View attachment 376051View attachment 376052View attachment 376053
Good afternoon Greg. I agree they did. This is no easy ship you took on as your first model and she is looking good. I like the gratings on the bow, these French sure liked to complicate the design of their ships. Cheers Grant

Maybe if you have plywood or photo etched parts try to paint them after dry fitting and then glue. Those points stick out from rest of the ship. Despite that, you've made a nice progress. Like Grant said Soleil Royal is a hard first model

20230524_153442+.jpg

Good afternoon Greg. I agree they did. This is no easy ship you took on as your first model and she is looking good. I like the gratings on the bow, these French sure liked to complicate the design of their ships. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant .Yes it is turning out to be a challenge but am learning a lot. Should hold me in good steady for my next ship

Maybe if you have plywood or photo etched parts try to paint them after dry fitting and then glue. Those points stick out from rest of the ship. Despite that, you've made a nice progress. Like Grant said Soleil Royal is a hard first model

View attachment 376097
Thanks , yes I believe it was a mistake leaving them unpainted. As you said it sticks out. I am going to attempt to paint them although am considering staining the gratings at the bow. :)

Added a few pin rails and stained the gratings at the bow.
Looking ahead I noticed the dead eyes are laser cut which don't look good to me. I'm thinking I will buy better quality ones. Any advice on where to purchase them would be appreciated.

View attachment 377239

View attachment 377240

View attachment 377241

View attachment 377242

View attachment 377243
Good evening Greg. The gratings stained look way better. I agree those kit deadeyes would not do you any favours. Cheers Grant

Much better. This pin rails on grating are really weird placed. If I may suggest- Heller's way of rigging looks historically accurate. Some completed Soleil one from SOS other from polish forum

All the ropes go through pulley, sth that looks like a horseshoe on bowsprit or this side element that looks like connected pulleys

Particulary those photos

As for the deadeyes, amati makes a decent ones,drydockmodelsandparts also. Actually any aftermarket will be better

Plans for Heller's SR

Last edited:
Much better. This pin rails on grating are really weird placed. If I may suggest- Heller's way of rigging looks historically accurate. Some completed Soleil one from SOS other from polish forum

All the ropes go through pulley, sth that looks like a horseshoe on bowsprit or this side element that looks like connected pulleys

Particulary those photos

As for the deadeyes, amati makes a decent ones,drydockmodelsandparts also. Actually any aftermarket will be better

Plans for Heller's SR
Thanks very much , the information you have provided will help me immensely. I thought the pin racks on the gratings look strange but that's where they show them in the instructions.
The photos and planss you show look much better. I may have to see if I can do the same thing.
I will see if I can order some Amati dead eyes. thankyou

Any advice on where to purchase them would be appreciated

Hi Greg, just found your build. Looks to me you are doing a fine job. I think most modelers are detail focused perfectionists, and we are our most harsh critics.

The deadeyes do look a bit 2D. I have used Cornwall model boats, they are well priced very good customer service and small parcels postage is not too expensive.

Keep at it. I enjoy seeing your work.

Any advice on where to purchase them would be appreciated

Hi Greg, just found your build. Looks to me you are doing a fine job. I think most modelers are detail focused perfectionists, and we are our most harsh critics.

The deadeyes do look a bit 2D. I have used Cornwall model boats, they are well priced very good customer service and small parcels postage is not too expensive.

Keep at it. I enjoy seeing your work.
Thanks very much. Yes I get very critical of my own work but the enjoyment I get out of building outweighs it.
I will check out Cornwall for the dead eyes :)
I have been following along with your Vanguard, you do beautiful work

Thanks very much. Yes I get very critical of my own work but the enjoyment I get out of building outweighs it.
I will check out Cornwall for the dead eyes :)
I have been following along with your Vanguard, you do beautiful work
Good morning Greg. I’m totally with you. I see building these little ships as a hobby and the enjoyment factor must be top of the list.

When I started to rig my Victory @WojtasS also sent me some rigging diagrams and a link to the same forum. Helped massively and change the whole look of her for the better.
Cheers Grant

Good morning Greg. I’m totally with you. I see building these little ships as a hobby and the enjoyment factor must be top of the list.

When I started to rig my Victory @WojtasS also sent me some rigging diagrams and a link to the same forum. Helped massively and change the whole look of her for the better.
Cheers GRant
Rigging is something that totally scares me lol I have no idea on how to even start. There are going to be plenty of questions then lol

Cheers Grant
I only pointed options or possible direction it was up to you to follow or not.
As for the rigging this books will answer most of your possible questions, but they're little pricey

Volume 3 JB's 74 and monograph about L’Ambitieux

As for the rigging this books will answer most of your possible questions, but they're little pricey

Thanks very much , I've been wondering if there were any books available on rigging. I appreciate the advice .

Hi WojtasS,

If we have only the money for one of those, which one should we buy ?

Thanks

Back