Soleil Royal by Artesania Latina

Hi WojtasS,

If we have only the money for one of those, which one should we buy ?

Thanks
It all depends what do you want.

Volume 3 JB's 74 is about rigging and fitting a 74gs, but all the rules shown there aply to most of the french ships. The're diffrent kind pulleys, mast, yard etc. + all the dimensions of ropes for french 74. In L’Ambitieux author assumes you're already familiar with that and shows only rigging of XVII century three decker, but with no balaying points planche. There's also Saint-Philippe monograph and Le Francois. Saint-Philippe has balaying points planche, but rigging is only described without pictures. Le Francois has both balaying points planche and pictures, but the ship is 5th rang not 1st. Olhga has videos abuot them and they should be in this thread https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/forums/plans-plansets-and-monographies.149/. If you want more details ask @GuyM or go through the discussion on plastic Soleil Royal threads

Thanks WojtasS, it is greatly appreciated. I forget to verify the Ohla book prsentstion, so I am sorry for this. For a begginner like me, I think the Boudriot vol 3 is more accurate for my need. The book have a lot of decription and nomenclature and seem's to show the appropriate knots to be used and when. By the wy, these three are great book too.

Thanks againfor taking time to answer my question.

Michel

It's been a while as I was sort of a bit depressed there for a while. My first ship hasn't been going as well as I was hoping but have decided to use it as a learning tool for my next build which will be Artesanias new Santisima Trinidad which will be built at a much slower pace as I intend on it being much better than what I have done with Soleil. But in the end even though it is far from perfect I am happy that I will actually see it through to the finish. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a while but have been spending too much time at work to get a huge amount done.
Finished the rat lines and the balconies to the stern .Have added the first sail to the ship. Only 9 to go
The instructions for rigging the sails are not really clear so am taking it slowly.
In my "spare time," I'm slowly building the ZHL San Felipe, which is just huge and lacking in decent instructions.

20240212_180029.jpg

20240212_180040.jpg

20240212_180135.jpg

20240212_180221.jpg

It's been a while but have been spending too much time at work to get a huge amount done.
Finished the rat lines and the balconies to the stern .Have added the first sail to the ship. Only 9 to go
The instructions for rigging the sails are not really clear so am taking it slowly.
In my "spare time," I'm slowly building the ZHL San Felipe, which is just huge and lacking in decent instructions.

View attachment 427342

View attachment 427343

View attachment 427344

View attachment 427345
Looking good Greg. Cheers Grant

Hi all , my first ship and naturally my first build log. Not everything has gone perfectly but I'm not scared to pull things apart and do them properly. (There have been several instances already)
I don't have a lot of photos from early in the build as I never really planned on sharing the progress but will post what I have to date.

I put the frame together and I have never seen so many frames , brackets and other supports. Frames are only 3mm but once all the supports were in it was quite sturdy
View attachment 363672
Beautiful job so far!

Bill

It's been a while as I was sort of a bit depressed there for a while. My first ship hasn't been going as well as I was hoping but have decided to use it as a learning tool for my next build which will be Artesanias new Santisima Trinidad which will be built at a much slower pace as I intend on it being much better than what I have done with Soleil. But in the end even though it is far from perfect I am happy that I will actually see it through to the finish. View attachment 401845View attachment 401846View attachment 401847View attachment 401848View attachment 401849View attachment 401850View attachment 401851View attachment 401852
It looks GREAT so far. Not bad for a first attempt. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder!

Bill

Greg, you are doing a splendid job and made a lot of progress in a short amount of time. It’s also fun to see the difference in kits from your AL to my ZHL.

Hi all , my first ship and naturally my first build log. Not everything has gone perfectly but I'm not scared to pull things apart and do them properly. (There have been several instances already)
I don't have a lot of photos from early in the build as I never really planned on sharing the progress but will post what I have to date.

I put the frame together and I have never seen so many frames , brackets and other supports. Frames are only 3mm but once all the supports were in it was quite sturdy
Hallo @GregW
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 363672
agree 100% about having to redo. I am on my 6th ship and I have yet to go through a build without what I call mistakes.

Back