Soleil Royal by Artesania Latina

Have added all the rubbing strakes and am about to start sanding as I prepare to paint the hull.
People who I have seen online seem to cover the hull in putty and then paint over it. Not sure if to do that or just paint over the wood so you can still see that it's planked underneath?
I'm not sure what is more realistic?

View attachment 368296

View attachment 368297

View attachment 368298
Good morning Greg. Just caught up on your log. Wow, that is a serious build for your first ship. You have done a brilliant job so far - nice! I am hesitant to use putty. I did with my Victory and I don’t think I will do so again (although left the hull wood) other than the for first layer of planking. If you still have some saw dust available it is better to mix this with wood glue into a paste and use that. Comes out natural and sands really well.If you want to show the wood layers of planking make sure the paint is thinned and apply many light layers with long consistent strokes. Like 4 or 5 thin coats. You can also lightly sand with 1000 grit in between coats of paint as this pushes the paint into each wood strake and smooths out those tiny inconsistencies. It works for me. Good luck and enjoy. You have some legendary builds here to follow so go for it. Cheers Grant

Good morning Greg. Just caught up on your log. Wow, that is a serious build for your first ship. You have done a brilliant job so far - nice! I am hesitant to use putty. I did with my Victory and I don’t think I will do so again (although left the hull wood) other than the for first layer of planking. If you still have some saw dust available it is better to mix this with wood glue into a paste and use that. Comes out natural and sands really well.If you want to show the wood layers of planking make sure the paint is thinned and apply many light layers with long consistent strokes. Like 4 or 5 thin coats. You can also lightly sand with 1000 grit in between coats of paint as this pushes the paint into each wood strake and smooths out those tiny inconsistencies. It works for me. Good luck and enjoy. You have some legendary builds here to follow so go for it. Cheers Grant
Thankyou very much Grant , I appreciate the advice . I was hesitant to putty the whole hull as I can't imagine the real ship would have been perfectly smooth. Being able to see the planking just seems to me to be more authentic. I shall definitely try your method.

Hi Greg

I would avoid filler and paint your model using artists Acrylic.This was my original intention until another member persuaded me to go an alternative routeROTF

I thin them with Tamiya X20A thinner and use a good artist brush to apply in many thin coats with a very light rub down every few coats. The most important thing is to get rid of all the dust. A thorough wipe down with white spirit is sufficient but allow this to dry out for a couple of days before starting painting.

Below is the paint originally intended for the hull;

IMG_0326.jpg

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you very much for the advice Nigel. I just looked it up and can get that paint at a store near me. I bought the Artesania paint pack for the Soleil but there doesn't appear to have anywhere near enough blue in it lol ROTF

People who I have seen online seem to cover the hull in putty and then paint over it. Not sure if to do that or just paint over the wood so you can still see that it's planked underneath?
I had the same problem. How to show planks without showing places where's too much putty. Mostly in places with smal gaps I used wood dust mixed with wood glue, putty was only for large spots. You can use both there'll be no problem. My mistake was using putty for plastic models instead of wood type one.

First idea was using some acrylic paint. It would be ok and propably I'd finish, but because I was using brush there were overlaping spots which look really bad. So I scraped almost to 0 whole paint. I say almost because with my stupid luck paint soked in all dust+wood glue and putty places where I coudn't scrape it. Next I put chestnut stain and palisander stain.

So acrylic paint will be ok if you use airbrush or a sponge. Unless you can do it just with brush. Anyway good luck

This is the worst spot on my model
DSC_0558_1.JPG

I had the same problem. How to show planks without showing places where's too much putty. Mostly in places with smal gaps I used wood dust mixed with wood glue, putty was only for large spots. You can use both there'll be no problem. My mistake was using putty for plastic models instead of wood type one.

First idea was using some acrylic paint. It would be ok and propably I'd finish, but because I was using brush there were overlaping spots which look really bad. So I scraped almost to 0 whole paint. I say almost because with my stupid luck paint soked in all dust+wood glue and putty places where I coudn't scrape it. Next I put chestnut stain and palisander stain.

So acrylic paint will be ok if you use airbrush or a sponge. Unless you can do it just with brush. Anyway good luck

This is the worst spot on my model
View attachment 368332

I would choose some kind of gold for this ornament in the bow. Yellow somehow doesn't fit (in my opinion:))

I have spent the last few days checking out other build logs including some that are first builds and have realised that by comparison mine is pretty poor effort.
I really don't belong amongst the wonderful builders on this site.
So am just going to slip back into the shadows and learn by watching the real master builders. I'm not giving up , I will learn from my mistakes and try not to make them on future ships and maybe one day I can show something to be proud of. Thank you to those who showed some interest in my build.

I have spent the last few days checking out other build logs including some that are first builds and have realised that by comparison mine is pretty poor effort.
So am just going to slip back into the shadows and learn by watching the real master builders. I'm not giving up , I will learn from my mistakes and try not to make them on future ships and maybe one day I can show something to be proud of. Thank you to those who showed some interest in my build.
I have actually very much enjoyed followed your build. I haven't posted because I know next to nothing about the SR. I hope you reconsider. Even the masters started somewhere!

I echo Paul's comments Greg. This Forum is neither Elitist or judgmental. Everyone has different levels of skills and we all start somewhere.

Yes there are some some mind blowing examples from first time builders but these tend to be in the minority. Your work for a first model far surpasses that of mine that I built some 40ish years ago, no pictures, went in the trash about 36 years ago in a house move when I was a teenager.

Do not feel intimidated by the work of others, the important thing for us all is that we get pleasure from our builds, as for the majority, this is not our "day job"

I agree with Paul and Nigel. People are cool and humble here. Just continue to show your work and learn from comments. These comments are there to help, not harsh you or to be rude.

Please continue. This forum is very friendly and there aren't many AL Soleil Royal build logs in general, not just here. I'm guessing but I think you'll have more motivation to continue work if you keep updating this build log. In my opinion more important is The Way not The Gol, so just have fun building

You should be proud of your early work, you have taken parts from a kit and made a good model from it, I see even the masters make errors and if warranted they back up and re-due the work to get it better.

Finish this kit, as the remaining tasks will only help improve your skills for the next model you make.

I have a few early models I am working on fixing errors, some due to not reading instructions, some due to storage damage, but we all start off as beginner and grow as we progress.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I just had a moment of depression while making comparisons. I am going to.continue the build and I'll continue the log. I may not have a lot of skill but I really am enjoying building this ship.
Feel free to point out errors as it's the only way I will learn.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I just had a moment of depression while making comparisons. I am going to.continue the build and I'll continue the log. I may not have a lot of skill but I really am enjoying building this ship.
Feel free to point out errors as it's the only way I will learn.
Good to hear you will keep up the work, believe me we all have things to learn, I even see posts from many long time builders who learn a new method or practice with the changing tools and technology out there.

Who would of thought we now have kits with CNC carved parts and 3D printed fittings to aid in planking just a few years ago.

Back