Other hobbies that are not ship model building

I've had lots of hobbies and pastimes over the years. Most have involved building something from a plastic kit or woodworking. I've done some scratch building in paper ( USS Cairo, buildings), plastic ( HO scale model of hometown grain elevator) and wood (toy vehicles, furniture). I've had a long time interest in muzzleloading rifles, building my first in 1979. I took up rifle building again about ten or twelve years ago and built a rifle for each of my four sons. I have completed fourteen so far and am awaiting parts for another build as I write.View attachment 258534View attachment 258535
Ah, another model railroader in the group.

I also do HO MRR, your elevator scene looks nice.

That's awesome Dean! I like the guitars, but you need a few more of them (I was in a Guitar Acquisition Syndrome recovery group... for a short time). Is that a White Peacock Butterfly? Very well done.. And the workmanship of that clock is outstanding!
Thank you! I used to have more guitars, I played in a band. Now I just play for entertainment. I mainly play acoustic these days. Been playing my classical guitar and learning some Bach. ;)

Where do you guys find time for all these hobbies? I'm retired and still only have time for one. Can't multi task I guess. I've had five different hobbies but only one at a time.:)

Where do you guys find time for all these hobbies? I'm retired and still only have time for one. Can't multi task I guess. I've had five different hobbies but only one at a time.:)
You are right that when in on hobby it takes time away from the others but the diversity makes it more focused when you go back into one of the others and rewarding for that short diversion. Just my own experience as I have too many things that I am interested in at the same time. Rich (PT-2)

Kkonrath, When my sons were young, we built a "TIme Saver" layout. They soon lost interest and I haven't been active for years. The grain elevator was a gift to my sister-in-law. For many years she managed the Co-op that operated this elevator. I started the model shortly after her retirement and finished it just after it was torn down.

I would guess that it is not Pennsylvania as the stock does curve down to the shoulder butt. Maybe a Kentuck??? The process of shooting blackpowder muzzle loaders is most enjoyable in the loading process leading to the prime and firing assuming not a hung or misfire. Worse yet is having to get a ball out if it cannot be shot out. Is it a 54 cal? That seems to be a fairly common rifle at our rifle range where they have muzzle loaders competitions about every other month. Great full sound of teh shot and power blast. Very nice stock view. Rich (PT-2)
The rifle is a .54 cal based on the Lancaster school but doesn't follow any specific maker or rifle.

The rifle is a .54 cal based on the Lancaster school but doesn't follow any specific maker or rifle.

A beautiful rifle. Have you shot it? We have a muzzleloader with a 54 who has placed three shots at 50 yards inside of an inch group. That is a well sighted rifle, good eye, and precise trigger control. Have fun and stay safe!!! Rich

I'm easily distracted I suppose.. Non Basta Una Vita (One Life is not enough)

I restore vintage bicycles. I used to ride/race a few years ago and this started me on this hobby. All (well, mostly all) are Italian steel frames from the 1930's to the 1990's, with Campagnolo drive trains. However, my admiral has put a stop to it since our house looks like a bike shop and there is no other place to put the bikes. I have many on display at a bike-shop in Utah called Contender bicycles (Ryan, the owner is a very good friend). Here are some samples.
Don't ask about how many I have since I started doing this over 30 years ago- hint- it take about 1 yr per bike.
Another hobby: family history and history in general.
I just fell in "Love"

Back